Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1996-2000 Rav4 Awd - Rear End Clunk Fixes

cb1000rider

Some of you may know me from my work with Megasquirt and the 22RE on the 1st generation 4Runner and 2nd generation of Toyota pickups...

I've now got a little first generation RAV4.. She's manual, 4wd, over 117k. I like the little booger, but I've had a few problems with her.. Like the darn rear end clunk.

As I've owned her, I've gone through the "typical" problems and I think I'm now able to provide some "aftermarket" copies of common-failure parts for the 96-00 RAV4 AWD...

Have a rear end that goes THUMP? ME too! Anyway, we've prototyped these parts and have imported a base set of 50 of them... I'll sell them at less than half what they cost you at Toyota! Just send me an email: cb1000rider@yahoo.com

Before you ask why this isn't in the classified section:

1) It's more of an informative post.. I don't do this for a living, these parts have not been available in the USA other than through toyota, and I'm selling them just trying to recoop some of my fabrication and production costs.

2) No price here... Just contact me if you need one.

2) I'll give some of the future prototypes AWAY in exchange for a good write up and photos.. Again email me... I'll be posting soon (after contacting mods) - enter your name on a list and it'll be pulled at random.

4) I'm looking for suggestions of other parts to produce... It's a hobby that long term shouldn't COST money, which is an improvement over turbo and custom EFI 4runners, which is a hobby that costs lots of money!

For a look at the OEM rear diff parts diagram try this link:

http://lakebox.dnsalias.com/photos/1998%20RAV4/med/410402.gif

Here are photos of our replacement parts:

52380-42082R.jpg

And I'm working on the "front" part of the rear diff mount - the bushings fail..And toyota makes you replace everything, which is a total waste (think green!!)

front-rearmount.jpg

Here's what happens when this mount fails:

Here's the bushing, which can be pressed in and out... Save a bunch of money (still prototype - I have to install at home and test!):

IMG_2580.JPGPARTS DIAGRAM

Hi there -

we fixed the 2 RAV bushes I have by filling them with silicon but this will eventually wear out so I'll keep you in mind.

I did purchase poly bushes for the RAV from an outfit in USA, paid for the stuff which never arrived so I got my money back via the credit card company. However, still haven't managed to obtain polybushes for the 4.1 RAV anywhere so thats another useful thing to provide if you can. The suspension bushes last about 80k miles. However the T ones are a little sloppy if using the RAV for fast road/race work.

Definitely interested in one of these to keep the Giant going sweet. Let me know the details and donation to the good cause required. At 92'000miles think mine does give the odd clunk on a drop (rather than a bump) and probably takes a bit more stress with the lowering springs and rear anti roll bar fitted.