Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Air Cconditioning Self Diagnostic

Rossi46

I have a 2007 Toyota Avensis with the duel climate control and although it seems to be working it doesn't get cold. Unsure whats up so booked it in to Mr T for a AC service on Thursday £49.

Hope you managed to find out what was up with yours!

Probably just slightly low on refridgerant... don't know how true it is, but have heard that many cars are low even when they roll off the production line (cost cutting maybe).

All systems lose a small amount naturally (5 to 20%) a year depending on the condition of the seals etc.

Unlike a domestic freezer etc, the system is not hermetically sealed... there are joints, O rings, seals on the shaft of the compressor etc which all leak slightly.

Thanks, I thought that but figure while the car is still under warranty it'll be best to get it serviced case the compressor has gone or something. I only bought the car couple weeks ago and dont have a handbook so dont know much about it yet! :-(

I have a 2007 Toyota Avensis with the duel climate control and although it seems to be working it doesn't get cold. Unsure whats up so booked it in to Mr T for a AC service on Thursday £49.

Hope you managed to find out what was up with yours!

Thanks, I remembered and took a pic of the buttons to press.

11122007171a-1.jpg

BTW, if your aircon isn't getting cold it isn't working. The A/C light will still come on regardless.

I had a pipe replaced last spring and my A/C was ice cold all last year but is just below ambient temp at the moment (and colder in the left vents)

I just wanted to do the self check as it will show a code if there isn't enough refrigerant in the system to initialise the compressor.

My system is showing 00 which means all the sensors work and there is refrigerant in the system.

However, I still need to get my system checked as I believe I have another leak.

Thank you for your useful information, I will give that a go later and see what code it comes up with. I did try to check the level but its going to sound thick of me but I cant find the bottle in the engine. I wasnt given a hand book so have no idea where it is. I guess the AC service is the best choice and i'll come back on Thursday to let you know the outcome.

How I know its not working. If I select the re circulate interior air with the AC on it just blows the warm air, no coolness whatsoever so thats how I know something is up with it, I figure while its under warranty its best to get checked now case its any parts need changing.

Sorry for going on. P.S I love your iPod cradle. i'm looking for an iPod/iPhone solution to connect to the car stereo. At the moment I have a FM transmitter and some velcro by the handbrake where my iPod sits. Not as tidy as yours!

Hi,

I think I have just tested my system (symptoms - not blowing out exterme cold air when on "Low" setting with A/c on.)

I got a flashing "21" followed by "23" and finally "24" and then repeated the sequence.

I had my a/c system serviced last July by Mr T. The system was working really well blowing out very good air.

With the mini heatwave over the weekend used the A/c on the coldest setting and the system was not very cold.

I have called the Mr T waiting for an response from them.

Hem

Thank you for your useful information, I will give that a go later and see what code it comes up with. I did try to check the level but its going to sound thick of me but I cant find the bottle in the engine. I wasnt given a hand book so have no idea where it is. I guess the AC service is the best choice and i'll come back on Thursday to let you know the outcome.

How I know its not working. If I select the re circulate interior air with the AC on it just blows the warm air, no coolness whatsoever so thats how I know something is up with it, I figure while its under warranty its best to get checked now case its any parts need changing.

Sorry for going on. P.S I love your iPod cradle. i'm looking for an iPod/iPhone solution to connect to the car stereo. At the moment I have a FM transmitter and some velcro by the handbrake where my iPod sits. Not as tidy as yours!

Don't be sorry for going on, that's what forums are for.

You're defintely doing the right thing getting it sorted asap under warranty. don't let them fob you off by just topping your refrigerant up, if it's all leaked out there's obviously a reason it's done so.

hopefully it's something simple, good luck with it.

As for the dension ipod link it's a great piece of kit, it charges up the ipod and uses the steering wheel controls. it also displays cd text and even has a 3.5mm input, so u can plug phones/ other devices in. too

Cwool, it sounds a neat bit of kit, think i'm going to have to look into getting one! :-)

I have just checked the AC in the car and it didnt bring up any codes, didnt seam to do anything by pressing them two buttons. Oh well i'll see what Mr T has to say on Thursday and post back the findings.

Thanks for all your advice, if its empty i'll ask them why!

... cant find the bottle ...

Just to save you some time:

There is no bottle in the airco system where you could check the refrigerent level.

The system is filled with gas under pressure.

Hi again, i managed to bring the codes up, seams I wasn't turning the key further enough.

It's flashing, 21,23 and 24. Sounds like the same problems Hem-Lag has.

I have googled it and found the following information a little outdated but seems the codes that I have relate on AC related issues so possibly correct! Seems its sensors, 02 sensors and heat/intake from what the website relates too! Maybe i'm totally wrong!

http://www.troublecodes.net/Toyota/

Ps thanks for saving me time searching for a bottle, I feel royaly stuppid now! lol

Just a thought, do you leave the A/C on all year round, or has it been switched off for weeks at a time over winter.

Lack of use is a common reason for loss of charge... the refrigerant circulates with an oil that keeps the seals from leaking.

... 21,23 and 24. ...

The codes you found on the above link are OBD2 codes.

Although they seem to match the codes you observed on the A/C panel, they have nothing to do with the A/C, but rather with the engine's intake- and exhaust diagnostics.

Like Mooly wrote, the A/C needs to be used regularly, if only for a couple of minutes, even if it's cold outside, to prevent the seals from leaking.

You need the A/C serviced with special equipment to find out whats wrong with it.

It's not a DIY job, unfortunately.

Thanks guys, I only recently bought the car and would ideally like to know what was up before Mr T gets his hands on it to be able to make sure the job has been done and what exactly needed doing. I normally leave the AC in my cars on all year round.

Thanks for all your help.

I was just wondering, does anybody here have a list of the air con fault codes? It would be a handy one to have!

Thanks,

Ken

I contacted two Toyota garages today - Gateshead and Deeside and both told me that them codes dont mean anything that it has to be connected to a diagnostic computer to retrieve a 4 digit code?

Its booked into Toyota Deeside in the morning so will post the findings tomorrow night!

Been to Mr T today and had the AC serviced. This is what it says on the paperwork...

No Recycling (was empty)

a/c system vacuum

min 25

mB 1

Oil Injection

cc 10

UV addit injection

cc 5

a/c filling

g 450

So i'm guessing one them codes is Oil, another AC gas and another UV addit injection.

Apparently the system was totally empty and he said Toyota recommend it done every 2 years and thats why its empty!

I'll keep a close eye and watch how it does, currently the code is 00 on the unit now!

Hope this helps others

Interesting findings.

I did the self diagnosis on mine, and it came back as 00 so I'm presuming all is well, it still blows out pretty darn cold on "Lo" (touch wood this continues!)

Ive had my 2004 T3-x since Nov 2005, and I have never had the A/C serviced, unless its been done at one of the scheduled services, at least its never one any of the paperwork they give me back nor has it ever been mentioned by the dealership.

Does anyone know if this is done at a scheduled service? I'm not aware that it is but gladly be told otherwise.

My A/C is on every day of the year by the way. Ive heard its best to run it more often than not.

Glad yours is sorted now. How much was the A/C service by Mr T by the way?!

Cheers

Mike

I owned my Corolla TSport from new for 8 years and the AC was never switched off in 67k miles.

At 3 years I opted to have the system recharged, not because there was a problem, just as precaution. In the following 5 years the system was never touched and was still really cold.

The oil circulates with the gas (which is in liquid form under pressure) and there is no way to determine the level as such. It's normal to add a small amount of oil during AC service (your 10cc) just to allow for any loss that occurs as the old gas is recovered (none in your case). The majority of the oil stays in the compressor crankcase and only a small amount is in circulation at any one time.

The ultra violet additive is to allow for future leaks to be spotted more easily under a UV light.

The system may be checked during service... as in measuring the temperature of air at the vents on the dash but that's about it.

The only way to know for sure how much gas is in the system is to fully discharge and recover the gas and weigh it. The 450g is what it says, a pound in weight of HFC134a gas.

The system is pumped down to a Vacuum, first to see if it can hold that, and second to purge any moisture from the system.

Let us know how you get on... hope it's OK now :)

Apparently the system was totally empty ...

There is indeed no way to check visually how much refrigerant or oil is left in the system, if any.

Apart from changing the interior filters and cleaning the channels, the service process itself is fully automated.

The aircon is attached to a machine that first tries to recover any gas and oil from the system.

After that, the system is pressurized and the machine halts for a couple of minutes to see if the airco system is leaking.

If the pressure drops, there is a leak and the process is aborted with an error message.

A mechanic now has to find the leak and repair it.

If the pressure is kept, the machine then sucks the airco vacuum and waits again.

Next, some oil and UV agent is injected and finally the system is pressurized with the refrigerent gas.

The whole process takes about 45 minutes (provided no leaks are found) and as said is fully automated.

Thanks for all your help and information, its clear that i've got no idea about this BUT I checked at Toyota when I collected the car this morning and the codes said 00. I have now checked it since I have got home and I have 21 and 24 showing now! The AC was cool driving home!

No idea what the A/C codes are.

I tried looking them up, without success.

When the garage programmed their A/C regen machine properly, to let it run through the entire sequence, it's definitely not leaking and the codes you see may even mean that your A/C is pressurized and working properly.

Also, you don't know exactly what function is started when pressing those 2 buttons simultaniously.

Keep an eye on it though, and take it back when it doesn't work (cool) properly.

Hi,

I think I have just tested my system (symptoms - not blowing out exterme cold air when on "Low" setting with A/c on.)

I got a flashing "21" followed by "23" and finally "24" and then repeated the sequence.

I had my a/c system serviced last July by Mr T. The system was working really well blowing out very good air.

With the mini heatwave over the weekend used the A/c on the coldest setting and the system was not very cold.

I have called the Mr T waiting for an response from them.

Hem

Did you sort your A/C out Hem? I'm concerned as since having mine serviced it still isn't as cold as my company car (ford fiesta) so thinking about taking it back next week and getting them to run their test or whatever they do.