Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Warning Lights

RAVCLAN

Hello, haven't posted for a while...just wondering if any one could give me some advice please... I was driving along today and all of a sudden the abs warning light came on, the vsc warning came on, there was a '!' in a circle and '!' in a triangle. I then went to my local garage, which was thankfully just a long the road and turned the car off and when I turned it back on, typically...NOTHING! however, when the break pedal was pressed the 'little car skidding' light came on and beeped. Then...after a full check over and a diagnostic test, with no codes, it's back to normal. It does need new discs and pads on the front which it is getting tomorrow...Has any one got any advice please?

Can you add some detail to your profile to help us remember which model you have.

Hello, yes, of course, I have a 57plate 2.2d4d Rav 4 XTR.That's done approx 50,000 miles. To add to the previous info posted, now I have had a good think about what happened, I think the beeping when the traction control symbol was on at the very end, when all other warning lights had gone off again, could possibly have been the seatbelt safety beep. So at least that a little maybe! Any advice would be great please.

Well!

The skidding car is supposed to come on if you press the brake hard - that is your hill assist control working normally. It operates only with the hand brake off.

The other warning lights are probably associated with the EGR valve which normally stores a code of 0400. If it hasn't stored a code and it isn't misbehaving then don't worry about it. In the meantime you could try running it on high grade diesel which seems to minimise EGR problems.

Thank you...just for an update...

Started off today with no lights on on then...all back on again other than 'little car' one. Soon as the engine was switched off and back on, NOTHING! and then a few break pedal presses later on again!

Took into in to the garage for it's new discs and pads and the light were still on so they plugged it in again and well...

I have a.....

c1223 ABS malfunction

C1241 low or high power supply voltage

C1249 open circut in stop light switch

c1267 break pedal load sensing switch

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HELP!

Is it still under warranty? This is is heavy stuff to do with either the connections on the ABS/brake unit or the pedal load switch. I can give you pdf's but your Toyota Centre should sort it if under warranty.

Hello, thank you again for all your help.

Yes it is thankfully still under warranty and today it went back! They diagnosed a fault with the break pedal switch and a code for the ecu that controls the breaks came up, but they said that could be and probably was related to the faulty switch.

Does that sound okay to you? I did wonder should they just replace both parts? I would really like to know your thoughts....

I am grateful that it is under warranty but unhappy that this had occurred if you know what I mean.

It sounds right looking at the mass of data from the fault codes. This fault is extremely rare (1st I have heard of) and a stroke of luck it is under warranty. I suspect it will be expensive.

Hello, just thought I would update and say thank you for advice...

It was the break pedal switch and it's all fixed now and back to normal. Although, having had several Toyotas I have always been very happy with them, as I am with my new Rav...

BUT....

I am not very happy that this part needed replacing if you know what I mean, but I am grateful that still under warranty!

I can understand your frustration but I believe the failure rate of this part is extremely low. The pedal pressure switch is on the back of the pedal fulcrum and when subjected to excessive force (tension) it will signal the hill assist control and the ABS unit. I have never heard of one fail before.