Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Electric Troubles

romanh

Hi guys,

I have changed the oil filter and during this I caused the short circuit on the alternator. Now, when I want to lock/unlock the doors, open windows, listen radio, switch ligths nothing works until I start engine. Then everything works properly.

I have checked all fuses but didnt find any wrong.

Could you please advise what to check and how to repare.

thanks a lot and regards

roman

Battery looks good, I have started many times without any problem. The indicator of "not charging up" also doesn´t light on panel.

sounds to me as if your battery s flat .did you get the altenator fixed ?

Hi guys,

I have changed the oil filter and during this I caused the short circuit on the alternator. Now, when I want to lock/unlock the doors, open windows, listen radio, switch ligths nothing works until I start engine. Then everything works properly.

thanks a lot and regards

roman

Hi there roman, I am no expert when it comes to electrics, but if you are telling me that nothing works when using the Battery itself, Then that is where the problem is. These are just some things that you could check first.

1. Is there a Battery inline fuse that you have blown for accessories, so that when car is running you are powering them direct form alternator.

2. You may have damaged or have a faulty Battery. In which case you need to have it checked. the only two ways I know of checking a battery is one with a hyrometer and a high rate discharger. With a sealed battery you can't check the first way but you can give a high rate discharge test, which is basically shorting out the two battery poles with a specially designed ammeter, which shows the current draw and it should show a good reading for 10sec or so.

3. Check the circuit, ie disconnect the earth from the battery and but an ammeter in the circuit, open the car (turn on interior light) and see if there is a flow of current. If there is the circuit is ok and you can continuity in it and the Battery. try this on several electric loads put not too big as some ammemters can't handle big loads. This well let you know if there is a circuit but not enough power to do the work ie EMF electro motive force - or volts for u and me.

4. Now reconnect the battery and then place voltage meter across the batter terminals/poles. You should have 11 to 12 volts. Start car and you should see volts drop to maybe 8 or so but any lower and I would be worried about battery. Let engine run and volts should be 12 or bit higher at idle. Rev and volts should go to 14.5 or so all with no elec loads. Then put on heavy loads like rear demister and headlights. With car reving the voltage should stay about 12.5 if it drops to below 12 then i would be worried that you have damaged to alternator. By the way at idle with heavy loads the voltage will drop below 12.5. (SO BASICALLY YOU ARE CHECK ALTERNATOR HERE).

This all going on 20yr old memory as a mechanic. So sorry if it is out of date or incorrect a bit. But i hate do see a guy in trouble.

battery looks good, I have started many times without any problem. The indicator of "not charging up" also doesn´t light on panel.

Hi,

You do not say which model you have, but it sounds like you may have shorted something on the alternator/battery line when changing the filter.

If the engine starts, let it tick over - switch of the headlights, pointed again a wall, rev the engine - do the lights get brighter - if they do you are charging, if not then the main alernator fuse is blown - had this happen to me but no check light came on either.

If you have a voltmeter you can measure the voltage across the Battery terminals, when you rev the engine it should go up to about 14 - 14.5v

If your is an earlier model you have 2 fuse boxes, one by the steering column on the dash the other in the engine bay just above the Battery.

Hi guys,

thanks a lot and regards

roman

Hi there roman, I am no expert when it comes to electrics, but if you are telling me that nothing works when using the Battery itself, Then that is where the problem is. These are just some things that you could check first.

1. Is there a Battery inline fuse that you have blown for accessories, so that when car is running you are powering them direct form alternator.

2. You may have damaged or have a faulty Battery. In which case you need to have it checked. the only two ways I know of checking a battery is one with a hyrometer and a high rate discharger. With a sealed battery you can't check the first way but you can give a high rate discharge test, which is basically shorting out the two battery poles with a specially designed ammeter, which shows the current draw and it should show a good reading for 10sec or so.

3. Check the circuit, ie disconnect the earth from the battery and but an ammeter in the circuit, open the car (turn on interior light) and see if there is a flow of current. If there is the circuit is ok and you can continuity in it and the Battery. try this on several electric loads put not too big as some ammemters can't handle big loads. This well let you know if there is a circuit but not enough power to do the work ie EMF electro motive force - or volts for u and me.

4. Now reconnect the battery and then place voltage meter across the batter terminals/poles. You should have 11 to 12 volts. Start car and you should see volts drop to maybe 8 or so but any lower and I would be worried about battery. Let engine run and volts should be 12 or bit higher at idle. Rev and volts should go to 14.5 or so all with no elec loads. Then put on heavy loads like rear demister and headlights. With car reving the voltage should stay about 12.5 if it drops to below 12 then i would be worried that you have damaged to alternator. By the way at idle with heavy loads the voltage will drop below 12.5. (SO BASICALLY YOU ARE CHECK ALTERNATOR HERE).

This all going on 20yr old memory as a mechanic. So sorry if it is out of date or incorrect a bit. But i hate do see a guy in trouble.

Hi ToyotaDomo,

1. this is my expectation too, but I am not able to find any defected fuse.

2. I will check my battery if it is OK or not. But base on up to now tests it looks that is OK. No problem with starting, I am able to switch on headlight but not taillight. Same with turn signal, separetely doesn´t work, but as hazard warning system yes. Interior bulb lights....

Any other ideas??

thanks for help

battery looks good, I have started many times without any problem. The indicator of "not charging up" also doesn´t light on panel.

Hi,

You do not say which model you have, but it sounds like you may have shorted something on the alternator/battery line when changing the filter.

If the engine starts, let it tick over - switch of the headlights, pointed again a wall, rev the engine - do the lights get brighter - if they do you are charging, if not then the main alernator fuse is blown - had this happen to me but no check light came on either.

If you have a voltmeter you can measure the voltage across the Battery terminals, when you rev the engine it should go up to about 14 - 14.5v

If your is an earlier model you have 2 fuse boxes, one by the steering column on the dash the other in the engine bay just above the Battery.

Hi richard.c,

my model is 1,6 81 kW, year 1999.

I have checked my headlights with stopped engine and it is OK. What is crazy, that taillights don´t work, and also the warning beep for switch on of lights, when you open the door, is not working.

I went visually through all fuses in 2 boxes and didn´t find defected. There are also some releys, but how to check them?

Thanks for your support