Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Throttle Lag Anybody?

z-tune-z2

I have a T- Sport, have never driven other Yaris', and I haven't asked anyone about this before, but is it just me or do all Yaris' exhibit a bit of lag?

I don't find it a problem, I got used to anticipating the rev response a long time ago. I hope its present in other cars because then it'll bug me that my car is different!

Its less than half a second between me putting my foot down and the gas coming on. The time is much less when I'm already moving though, but thats a given as I'm already on the throttle. Would this be to do with the throttle body? Or my cable is just a bit slack? Its only done about 27,500 miles.

I wouldn't say so. Throttle response should be instant on the YTS. A mate who owned a Corsa VXR said that was terrible for throttle lag. Thought it was down to complicated electronics.

Could be all down to it being a 16v engine. My SR is the same, sometimes it needs to be over 2.5k just to get going.

In comparison i used to own an 8v 2.0 Golf GTi and that had more bottom end grunt put none at the top.

16v engines need to be revved more to get them off the line quicker. ;)

If it's not that, then have your throttle cable/system checked.

Throttle response is always razor sharp and instant... more so than any other car I have driven :thumbsup:

I do however, sometimes feel a quick push of power that happens once but no more through the following gear shifts. I have always put it down to the extra cams in variable valve timing kicking in.... has anyone felt this?

I think your issue is completely different and your car has an small issue that maybe fixed with a bit of WD40. I did this in my Rover... open you boot and you should see when you press your accelerator paddle there is a bit of movement at a cable. Try cleaning any exposed joints and WD40 on any moving parts.

I do however, sometimes feel a quick push of power that happens once but no more through the following gear shifts. I have always put it down to the extra cams in variable valve timing kicking in.... has anyone felt this?

I think I've felt a bit of that gear change power blip, but its not particularly noticeable.

I've managed to fix the throttle lag though! Found the throttle cable and noticed it was a little slack, had to get some WD40 on one of the nuts and then readjusted it quite a lot before eliminating 90% of the slack, I left some as I didn't want it constantly in tension.

Felt a bit chavvy revving the engine to confirm the fix! :unsure:

Good old WD40... I am glad to see the problem solved.

I had my first Japanese car problem this morning when the Yaris was moved only a few yards over the weekend, it had flooding the engine. Left the car to rest for an hour and with a bit of pumping the pedal it worked.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links