Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Poor Performance (Pinking)

Steve J

My wifes old 1996 2.0 GX 2dr RAV4 is having pinking problems. When she accelerates and puts the engine under load it misfires and is very slugish. It has been serviced with all new filters, leads, plugs, dizzy cap even new exhaust, the garage cleaned the idle valve etc and are now stumped as it is not showing any fault codes. Car isn´t really worth spending any more money on but she loves it and wants to keep it. Any ideas anyone as this is driving me crazy :crybaby:

Welcome to the club. Just try a bottle of injector cleaner through it before we get in too deep and then report back.

I had similar issue with my other halfs focus, would idle ok, but whenever under load it would misfire and engine rough as h**l.

Turned out the ignition leads wouldnt quite sit right on the OEM plugs, part numbers were all checked and correct, however got Bosch (Super 4 plugs to match Bosch leads), perfect fit and has been fine since.

try egr valve, can cause all sorts of problems, may be stuck open, if so make a blanking plate for it, hope this helps.

having 2 1994 RAVs, before I changed engines, try a 99 octane petrol and see how you get on.

Thanks for the replies. Tried the injector cleaner and no luck. All leads and plugs are fine. 99 octane fuel does make a small difference but there is still a misfire. I think the EGR clean maybe my next port of call. Anyone got pix of an EGR removal for 3s-fe

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links