Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Says...

-T- Sport

Well,

Figured I'd go to Toyota and let them do one of their checks on my car today, see how much the quoted for replacing the broken pins in the chairs.

Here's the sheet I got back...

Requires New WaterPump - 2 Hours Labour - £261.56

Requires New Fuse Box Lid, Will cause Electrical Fault - £21.16

Requires both Front Seat Bases - 4.5 Hours labour - £877.23!!!! :lol2:

Two words, second is off.

So now the search is on.. I'm gonna ask my mates dad if he's capable of welding some stronger material in place of the old crap. Doesn't look too big a job.

As for the Waterpump.. I haven't noticed any issues. They're £46 on eBay, anybody know roughly how long / labour intensive it is?

Seems fairly straight forward. May have a pop then.

If I fail... My dad's worked on cars near all his lift, and my next door neighbour has his own company of Mobile Mechanic xD

Seems fairly straight forward. May have a pop then.

If I fail... My dad's worked on cars near all his lift, and my next door neighbour has his own company of Mobile Mechanic xD

A true Lift Addict.... :lol:

Yeah not bad that you have someone to fall back on if you need help, im the same.

I shouldn't but good to know its there if i need it.

is your fan on alot? why do they say the pump has gone - could be the issue i'm having..........

Gaz - Typo's ftw.. lol

Mike - No, Fan isn't on alot at all. Nor does the cars temp ever pass about the half way mark. Which is why it's confused me. No loss of water either etc...

They didn't give reasons as to why it needed replacing.

Maybe the pump is starting to give up, not pumping at the correct pressure.

Is there any noise coming from it?

Not that I can notice over the squeal of my brakes. lol.

Just the usual engine tick on idle.

I would ask them why they say it needs replaced, no point in spending money on replacing it if it does not need replaced.

The 40 odd quid could buy something better, like a nice cold beer which i cant have atm :censor:.

the pumps are known as a bit of a weak point - my rad has seen better days and my fan has to work to keep things cool. would realy like to know what led them to that conlusion - i'm gonna check my pdf's to see if i've got one on the pump, they give all the test procedures - or if someone has the complete manual..............

The 40 odd quid could buy something better, like a nice cold beer which i cant have atm censored.gif.

Blimey... beer's expensive in Bathgate.....

:lol:

the only pdf i had on the cooling was pressure testing it. if the pressure drops look for leaks. no leaks - change waterpump or inspect head and block. so i pressume they "sniff tested" the coolant and if that was ok and no evidence of leaks change the waterpump. easy to change by the way.

I may just do it anyway, Ease of mind and for £40...

Ahwell.

The 40 odd quid could buy something better, like a nice cold beer which i cant have atm censored.gif.

Lol maybe a few crates of cold beer then haha.

the pumps are known as a bit of a weak point - my rad has seen better days and my fan has to work to keep things cool. would realy like to know what led them to that conlusion - i'm gonna check my pdf's to see if i've got one on the pump, they give all the test procedures - or if someone has the complete manual..............

I attached a pdf which tells you how to change the water pump, it is in the first few posts.

We don't just buy the one Gaz, we're Scottish.. we buy multi-packs (even on Sundays... not like doon sooth :( :lol:)

Every time our old un went to Mr T they topped the coolant up and offered to replace to the pump at our cost, its like they knew it was a weak point....never caused any issue though except for making me check the level more often.

I'm more suprised that they didnt offer to replace the rear lamp clusters after that vandal sprayed black paint all over them :unsure::help::lol: :P

I attached a pdf which tells you how to change the water pump, it is in the first few posts.

i know how to change the pump - but thanks anyway. i was looking for what test procedure the tech followed but after looking i had it. i was wondering what the tech had done to determine the pump was gone when -t-sport didnt notice a loss in coolant. although coolant losses can be so miniscule you wouldnt really notice. but if oyr loosing some replace as it gets worse - been their and had pump fail on me with expensive consiquences

I'd imagine he would be looking for signs of leaks, odd noises or play in the pump (bearing) or overheating issues.

Had to do the water pump on my fiat, it had a plastic impellor and had melted and the engine was overheating which led to head gasket failure as well. :) The new one was metal fortunatly. The aweful squeel and overheating were an obvious sign that it was faulty. The process to replace was the same as in that pdf, except the alt belt was also the timing belt so I had to do the mark ups.

But if you have no reason its like, yes we advise you change your engine because in 20,000 miles it 'might' blow up.

I would have said they would have seen crystalisation of coolant around the water pump when they carried out the VSR - they wouldnt have done any tests on a visual check.

My car had dried coolant around the water pump but Toyota said they got a service bulletin stating the water pumps have a drainage hole to stop it from over-pressurising which should then evaporate the excessive coolant due to the engines heat. Bulletin was issued as the dried coolant can easily be mistaking as it leaking. They told me not to worry and iv never lost any coolant anyway :thumbsup: