Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Press Start, Everything On But Engine For 2 Hours - Solved

tas3086

2 weeks ago:Got in car. Put foot on brake. Pressed start switch (electronic ignition/no key). Instrument panel light up. External lights came on. Car did not start. Start switch blinking green. Pressed again and went to orange. Pressed off. Switch went dark. Tries to start again. Only green blinking start light. Did same a number of times. No start. Opened and shut all doors. tried to start again. Still green blinking light. Turned off, Exited vehicle. Walked far away from vehicle, and pack again. Headlights were still on. Got in car. Tried to start. This time it started. If I remember correctly, if the brake was not pressed, the ignition went from dark to orange, and back to dark. Taking foot off brake when green blinking, did not change color. I did not try gear shift at any time except after car started.

Last Thursday night.

Got in car. Put foot on brake. Pressed start. Instrument panel lit up. All warning lights were on. Tone, like seat belt tone, except always sounding, with a little buzz, sounded. Engine did not start. Ignition switch was solid green. No blinking this time. Tried to turn off ignition. Switch went dark. All lights still on. Solid Buzzing tone still on. Tried to start again. Nothing. Tried start without brake, went orange, put foot on brake, went green. No engine start. Exited vehicle like last time. Loud sound outside was the same as inside. Solid/buzzy tone all the time. Very loud on outside. Nothing changed. Still unable to start. Door lock buttons, inside or outside would not work. Called Toyota for help. They suggested to move gear shift to other gear. Moved fine. Tried to start in Neutral. No change. No start. Still solid buzzy sound. All lights on. Tried park. No Change. Juggled gear shift between gears. No Change. Tried putting key dongle near start switch. No change. Toyota dispatched tow truck. Tow truck driver arrived (Steve). Never saw anything like it. Nothing was working. He put foot on brake and pressed start button. Car started. Sound stopped. Pressed start again. Car Stopped. Presses button again, car started. Back to normal. Locks working.

It should be noted that during problem, nothing on the car operated, except the bluetooth cell phone interconnect, and gear shift. Parking lever moved into any gear at any time, any color of ignition switch, With or without the brake pressed. loud chime/buzzing tone was always present inside and outside, and all lights on. For 2 hours.

SOLUTION:

Dealer worked on car for 3 days. He was able to recreate the problem on mine, and two others. When car was parked, if wheels were turned far left or right, and ignition stopped, pressure is put on the steering lock pin. When trying to start the car, the steering lock pin may not retract. On the second start attempt to start, if the pin still does not retract, the computer goes into a crazy blocking mode. The Solution is press stop if possible. Exit the vehicle, walk far away. Get back in, turn the steering wheel to decrease pressure on locking pin. Press start, and the engine should start, and everything should return to normal.

I have not tried it, but I will, as it seems to be happening often. If the solution works, I hope that it helps all of you.

I've experience this a few times, and did notice that the steering was locked. I just turned the steering a little, and restarted without any problem. That is, I didn't walk away and come back. I think at a certain angle, the steering column must press onto the locking pin, preventing it from releasing. Just easing the steering wheel a few mm's, as that's all you can move it, seems free it.

Thanks for the info anyway, and welcome to the forums :)

Commendations, tas, for bringing this to the notice of fellow "keyless go" drivers, some of whom I would wager were blissfully unaware that this set of circumthingies even existed.

As for us lowly members, we shall merely continue using our little keys......

Big Kev :thumbsup:

Commendations, tas, for bringing this to the notice of fellow "keyless go" drivers, some of whom I would wager were blissfully unaware that this set of circumthingies even existed.

AH -- Poor Kev, fancy just having to use an old fashioned key - even Anchorman has gone modern now !! Wait till he gets up there to see you.

I have had a similar problem when the steering wheel has been turned and the locking pin was very tight against the load.

Guy

Mind you just had to have the engine out for a minor oil leak on timing chain cover and they did sump seal at the same time all FOC, new injector pipes etc fitted and a courtesy car provided. Leak was so tiny so drip in garage but RRG spotted it during a service.

AH -- Poor Kev, fancy just having to use an old fashioned key - even Anchorman has gone modern now !! Wait till he gets up there to see you.

I have had a similar problem when the steering wheel has been turned and the locking pin was very tight against the load.

Guy

Mind you just had to have the engine out for a minor oil leak on timing chain cover and they did sump seal at the same time all FOC, new injector pipes etc fitted and a courtesy car provided. Leak was so tiny so drip in garage but RRG spotted it during a service.

I've had it a couple of times as well, not long after I got the RAV. Is yours Auto Guy? I have a manual but I would guess that tas3086 has an Auto. "Foot on the brake" threw me to start with, I have to put mine on the clutch.

Its a US model so auto.

Chris, I will respond to your pm over the weekend - sorry!!!

Its a US model so auto.

Chris, I will respond to your pm over the weekend - sorry!!!

Morning Anchorman,

I guess your first priority this morning is to keep the trains running :thumbsup: Son-in-law is supposed to be flying to Washington (US) today for a conference - is there a train?