Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tachy Needle Bouncing

nuthns free

help me before i ditch my car...

in the past few days when engines hot and its sitting idle, the tachy needle starts bouncing between 200 and 1000. when it drops to 200 it feels like its gonna cut out. to be honest have no idea where to start (total amateur) but the engines making a funny 'sucking' noise when it drops. no idea if thats normal but never noticed it before. it used to do this but would bounce up to 1500! a full service seemed to have sorted for a little while but its playing up again. also got a CEL thats been on for ages- changed the temp transmitter, in process of changing thermostat coz the OBDII said the engine collant temp was insufficient for the closed fuel loop. thought mayb the revs are bouncing to overcompensate for something not working properly??

as i said, total amateur so be kind...

thanks for the help in advance

Could possibly be the throttle body if its only doing it on idle, When mine was doing it the engine management light didn't come on but it showed up on diagnostics.

Could possibly be the throttle body if its only doing it on idle, When mine was doing it the engine management light didn't come on but it showed up on diagnostics.

i'll look into that thanks. i'll try anything its driving me nuts!!

The MAF sensor inserts into the side of your airbox and is about the length of you little finger, a small cone like thing.

Just look on the side of your airbox and pull it out. If it's coated in dirt then give it a wipe. ;)

Do Rolla's have EGRs? I had similar problems in my old Astra that was a clogged EGR valve.

dont even get me started! i have no idea! but its another thing to google ha ha

The MAF sensor inserts into the side of your airbox and is about the length of you little finger, a small cone like thing.

Just look on the side of your airbox and pull it out. If it's coated in dirt then give it a wipe. ;)

what can ya use to clean it? read somewhere brake cleaner? and what u think of a dodgy idle valve? i guess if it was that the revs would always bounce yeah? its doin ma heed in! especially since its still under warranty!!

what can ya use to clean it? read somewhere brake cleaner? and what u think of a dodgy idle valve? i guess if it was that the revs would always bounce yeah? its doin ma heed in! especially since its still under warranty!!

Yeh brake cleaner or degreaser will do the job mate.

I know the feeling dude, I'm trying to get mine to idle properly too, but my problem is a little more serious... :lol:

Just look on the side of your airbox and pull it out. If it's coated in dirt then give it a wipe. wink.gif

I know the feeling dude, I'm trying to get mine to idle properly too, but my problem is a little more serious... laugh.gif

Get someone who knows about engines then... biggrin.gif

Just look on the side of your airbox and pull it out. If it's coated in dirt then give it a wipe. wink.gif

I know the feeling dude, I'm trying to get mine to idle properly too, but my problem is a little more serious... laugh.gif

I never said I couldn't solve it. ;) I know what I have to do, I need to find the time to do it. :P

I never said I couldn't solve it. ;) I know what I have to do, I need to find the time to do it. :P

who said your problems more serious than mine lol. iv also got a tyre that keeps deflating at a funny speed but no puncture or dodgy valve ha ha. i keep thinkin iv got holes in my friggin pockets!!

Its most likely a few vacuum tubes that have snapped/frayed. As soon as I connected one last one up the idling settled quite a bit. You MAF sensor could also be dirty, but just clean it with a damp cloth.

Check your AFR. The ECU could be trying to compensate for bad timing too, making it idle like a pig.

It could be any number of small problems but just keep knocking each one down.

Its most likely a few vacuum tubes that have snapped/frayed. As soon as I connected one last one up the idling settled quite a bit. You MAF sensor could also be dirty, but just clean it with a damp cloth.

Check your AFR. The ECU could be trying to compensate for bad timing too, making it idle like a pig.

you know every time you say something i end up googling it! i'll read the haynes start to finish lol and have a play about. cheers for ur help lad

you know every time you say something i end up googling it! i'll read the haynes start to finish lol and have a play about. cheers for ur help lad

hehe sorry mate. No problem.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links