Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Starting Problem

sicooldrive

i am trying to get some help, in finding the cause of the starting problem on my avensis.

If i have a full Battery in the morning it will start, but as soon as the car gets hot, if I turn it off it will not start.

It will turn over fast I have had the AA look at it and they said that there were no faults registered on the computer, and that the airflow was ok and the injectors were being activated but it still won't work. i am a bit reluctant to get a new Battery as i was told the one i have is ok,(it is just kicking out a little less power than it is capable of)

Thanks in advance for any help given. simon

unplug maf senssor

try

unplug coolant sensor try

thanks for the advise cmia

the aa man did disconnect the air mass sensor when trying to start it but it was still not starting. I will check the coolant sensor as soon at the Battery has finished charging.(it drained while trying to start it)

hey

the d4d engine has 2 common fault which would prevent good starting. the glow plugs are known to go faulty ahich would req a new set and a ecu reflash and this will bring on the engine light. the other problem is the starter, its quite a common problem. if the engine keeps turning over and over even when its hot their a good chance it could be that :blink:

hey

the d4d engine has 2 common fault which would prevent good starting. the glow plugs are known to go faulty ahich would req a new set and a ecu reflash and this will bring on the engine light. the other problem is the starter, its quite a common problem. if the engine keeps turning over and over even when its hot their a good chance it could be that :blink:

I have no first hand experience of this problem. However, I came across these when searching for something else which also suggest looking at the current drawn by the starter motor.

Avensis starting problem links to ilexa.co.uk

TOC starting problem

can you look at the fuel filter ?

and replace it ?

the fuel filter has been replaced and i have now tested starting without the temp sensor connected, but this still didn't work.

thanks for the input though.two more things to rule out.

Hi sicooldrive, I also write as everton on the ilexa site mentioned above. This fault is caused by your starter motor drawing too much amperage. you will find the car starts ok from cold as soon as it gets to working temp and you try to start it the starter will turn the engine but the excess current draw closes down the injector drive system. to replace the starter for a new one is expensive. I would recommend you have it either repaired or a motor factor replacement part. hope this helps you

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links