Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wheels Sizes...

Doesn'tExist

Hi, I'm interested in a new Prius and have booked one for a 24 hour test drive on Tuesday.....

Now looking at the spec I am most interested in the T-Spirit with LED's but also the ventilation/solar roof....Now when asking the dealer wether I can change the little 15" wheels back for 17's they said it is not possible and that it would interfere with the computers....Is that for real? Or are they talking rubbish?

I have read somewhere else that the 15's are essential with the solar roof? cant remember where though :blink:

I have read somewhere else that the 15's are essential with the solar roof? cant remember where though :blink:

Hi, think it's for C02 rating. 17" rims put out a little more CO2 (92gm vs 89gm I think). I think the solar roof adds extra weight increases the C02, and so the 15" wheels are needed to knock it back down again.

Suspect the computers are irrelevant. Not sure about the rules and regs about changing the wheels afterwards, might mean road tax price hike.

Hi, think it's for C02 rating. 17" rims put out a little more CO2 (92gm vs 89gm I think). I think the solar roof adds extra weight increases the C02, and so the 15" wheels are needed to knock it back down again.

Suspect the computers are irrelevant. Not sure about the rules and regs about changing the wheels afterwards, might mean road tax price hike.

That could make sense....However it is knocking it back down to 89gm which I don't get....I like the look of the 17's but also like to have the option...choices....

It's everything to do with weight as adding the sunroof / solar pack takes the CO2 emissions to over 100 g/km and, thus £15 per year tax (Band B Hybrid). As for the 17" inch rims and computer he's talking rubbish. Toyota are not permitted to sell a solar roof car with the standard (and pretty) 17"s. It's a £5000 fine! However, as I was told by Toyota GB HQ themselves, there's nothing to stop you putting 17"s on the car as soon as you drive off the forecourt but don't expect to put the standard 17"s back on as your local centre may have trouble getting them in for you. Your options would be get a set of 17"s from a motor shop (Halfords?), try your local centre for standard 17"s (they will be scarily expensive) or get a set of TRD wheels for it (import from TRD Japan). The latter are sublime. Promise me one thing: if you get the solar roof get rid of the 15"s pronto.

Personally I think Toyota selling the 15"s on the T Spirit with roof is crazy. If you were to suggest to a customer it's the 15"s and £0 tax per year or the lovely 17"s but it'll cost you £15 per year in road tax nobody in their right mind would go for the 15"s. It's all, I suspect, to do with the whole range is £0 road tax with no exceptions.

Peter

That could make sense....However it is knocking it back down to 89gm which I don't get....I like the look of the 17's but also like to have the option...choices....

It's all to do with getting the grams of CO2 per km back under 100. Just break (and it does, just) a 100 and it's £15 road tax. The standard T3 is 89g/km, the T4 and T Spirit are 92g/km. A lardy T Spirit with heavy roof goes over 100 and thus incurs road tax. That's all. No rules apply. So long as you get the same profile tyre as the standard 17"s on any aftermarket wheel you're fine so as to not affect your speedo/odo reading too much.

Wow I really did not realise that changing the wheels can give an 11gram+ difference.

I am running 22" on my own car with 305/40s. Never really thought about the environmental impact. Will there be any mpg impact goingback up to 17s?

So if I were to go down that road, I guess I should also be looking at the Eco versions of the 17s Tyres? Lol this option seems to be getting rather expensive :-)

this dealer on has the tspirit available for test drive. I guess I will have to find one with a t3 as well. What is the difference in handling like? I am concerned 15s are too soft for our liking.

Wow I really did not realise that changing the wheels can give an 11gram+ difference.

I am running 22" on my own car with 305/40s. Never really thought about the environmental impact. Will there be any mpg impact goingback up to 17s?

So if I were to go down that road, I guess I should also be looking at the Eco versions of the 17s Tyres? Lol this option seems to be getting rather expensive :-)

this dealer on has the tspirit available for test drive. I guess I will have to find one with a t3 as well. What is the difference in handling like? I am concerned 15s are too soft for our liking.

22" with 305/40. 'kin 'ell, what are they on? There must be no side wall on 'em. However, back to the Prius 'do I, don't I' points. Yes, changing wheels, or rather, adding a VERY heavy glass sunroof and solar panel does make a difference to ya CO2 emissions. You would be better to stick to an eco tyre to maximise economy but I guess it depends on your annual mileage and whether a potential premium with an eco tyre balances out a better handling albeit not as frugal tyre. Mind you, better handling and Prius usually don't go together. I've not driven a 15" wheeled Prius but I found the 17" to be very good indeed and quiet. Not choppy at all. In fact, they are better than the standard 16" on the previous (Gen 2) Prius. The 15" will have a soft ride as their side walls are massive. They just look wrong on a good looking car.

At the end of the day it comes down to what you can afford, what you like the look of and how important economy is. 15" will be ever so slightly better on economy (they weigh nothing) and this will also be another reason Mr T wants you to have a solar specced car with 15". For me, they'd be no way on Earth I'd drive a 15" wheeled Prius. Screw the marginally gains in economy. :P

:-) good points...

My wife will be changing from a Nissan Murano 3.5V6 Petrol so anything will have better economy, but that is actually not our driver to buy one...I do like my toys, so guess I might have to look for some replacement alloys...

Anyone know the details of the wheels for a for Prius in OEM; tyre size, wheel dimensions including width and offset

PS. 305/40 still has a 12.2cm side wall so not that bad at all....They are on a big pickup truck which was cheaper in tax than a 'green' car when I bought it...And now I need to tow a powerboat....So the Prius will be to offset and confess my other sins :-)

Does anyone know the weight of the toyota 15" wheels and the 17" versions...

I've found some lightweight alloys but like to check whether I stay within the limits...

In the mean time what's the opinion of those aftermarket wheels :-) I do like my sun roofs....

These are Dezent one's, and I've found several Kei & Kato lightweight wheels as well....

post-93006-127183569678_thumb.jpg

Anyone know the details of the wheels for a for Prius in OEM; tyre size, wheel dimensions including width and offset

Have a rummage over in the Prius Chat forum.

Starter for 10...

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-accessories-modifications/77980-replacing-my-15-17-wheels.html

Thank you! Saved me a search :-)

Hi Doesn'tExist if you want to tow with the prius from all the information I have, sorry it cannot be done, someone may know different

Hi Doesn'tExist if you want to tow with the prius from all the information I have, sorry it cannot be done, someone may know different

Cheers, no worries I keep my pickup truck for towing :-) I wouldn't dare with many other vehicles to tow my boat across the Gothard Pass :-)

There are several Prius owners in the states who have added a tow hitch.

Over on Priuschat they have confirmed to me that the steering feels different and is technically different both in hardware and software on the 15" wheels...Odd but apparently true...Based on that I do not really want to do an upgrade as I do feel Toyota would be in their right to void warranty on the related parts, but more importantly I do not like the sound of slower steering and more turns...But I will try and test drive one to make certain...

Over on Priuschat they have confirmed to me that the steering feels different and is technically different both in hardware and software on the 15" wheels...Odd but apparently true...Based on that I do not really want to do an upgrade as I do feel Toyota would be in their right to void warranty on the related parts, but more importantly I do not like the sound of slower steering and more turns...But I will try and test drive one to make certain...

I must say I am boggling a bit at this. The overall diameter of the wheels (i.e. rims plus tyres) varies only very marginally if you choose the right tyre. A 15" rim fitted (Toyota spec) with a 195/65 tyre is slightly larger (by 1.47%) than a 17" rim fitted with a (Toyota spec) 215/45 tyre. The actual difference in unloaded diameter is 9.6mm, well within the difference in diameter between a worn tyre and an unworn tyre. The difference beteen the rolling diameters of the two wheel sizes may be even less and will depend to some extent on the inflation pressure and the carcass temperature during use. What I am saying is that I cannot see how any of that would justify a change in the steering gear ratio.

The width of the tyres differs more markedly and the 15" rim being fitted with a narrower tyre than the 17", could allow a slighty larger steering angle, needing more turns of the steering wheel from stop to stop, but that would not alter the rate of change of steering angle in relation to the rate of change of the steering wheel angle and so would not make the steering slower. The only effect would be to reduce the size of the turning circle. The difference in the unloaded carcass width of the tyres shown is 20mm, but the difference in the track width is only 10mm, presumably because of a difference in the wheel offset, so again we see very little difference in the geometry as a result of changing the wheels.

Finally, the specification shows a turning radis of 5.2 metres for one configuration and 5.5 metres for the other (a difference of less than 6%). Again, it hardly justifies a different steering gear ratio. If anyone has clear information about more than one steering gearbox specification for the current Gen 3 Prius I would be interested to know about it.

I have driven my Gen 3 T-Spirit Prius with both 215/45 17s and 195/65 15s and I cannot detect any significant difference in driving. YMMV.

Sorry, I forgot to comment on the Priuschat stuff. Some of the technical stuff there does tend to hang about. My understanding is that some of the early 15" wheel cars were fitted with lighter steering components - I guess to get inside the weight limit with the solar roof fitted. In particular there was a less powerful electric motor that required a lower gear ratio. My understanding is that all production cars were eventually made with the arrangement set up for the 17" wheels, but as I said above, I would be interested to know if that is not the case.

I agree with most of what you, and as stated I am very used to changing wheels....Most of the time I only have to worry about the speedo and like with my 22's that they don't rub the arches...

I find it hard to believe it is cost effective to keep two versions running....Was your T-Spirit a 17" on which you put 15" wheels or the other way around?

I won't place an order until the service department let me have a look in their EPC. I got a 2009 version but haven't installed it yet and is over a year old....But if need be I'll forfeit the roof...

I agree with most of what you, and as stated I am very used to changing wheels....Most of the time I only have to worry about the speedo and like with my 22's that they don't rub the arches...

I find it hard to believe it is cost effective to keep two versions running....Was your T-Spirit a 17" on which you put 15" wheels or the other way around?

I won't place an order until the service department let me have a look in their EPC. I got a 2009 version but haven't installed it yet and is over a year old....But if need be I'll forfeit the roof...

I didn't think the roof was worthwhile so mine was delivered with 17" wheels. The manual recommends changing to winter tyres for the winter and the advice I got from the dealer was that a higher profile winter tyre was better. I bought 15" wheels and had them fitted with winter tyres so that I can just swap them at the right time.

I hope you get it sorted out. Good luck.

Cool, thanks for that....it does make sense to have winter tyres. I am originally from Holland and we always swapped in the winter months for some nice steel 15 or 16 inch wheels with winter tyres...Makes a huge difference in grip and braking...

Cool, thanks for that....it does make sense to have winter tyres. I am originally from Holland and we always swapped in the winter months for some nice steel 15 or 16 inch wheels with winter tyres...Makes a huge difference in grip and braking...

I had dinner in London last night with a Dutch friend of many years who had come over for a couple of days on Eurostar. He drives a Nissan Primera was saying that not many people in the Netherlands bother with winter tyres, but he also spends time in Germany where they are compulsory. I have driven in the Netherlands and can't remember many hills . . . . :thumbsup:

I guess it all depends, I moved 16 years ago to the UK....I also remember going to school on my ice skates, no hills required to get slippery or snow thumbsup.gif

but he also spends time in Germany where they are compulsory.

You can use non-winter tyres but if you have an accident you will be fined etc. etc.

Many of our office staff do stints in Germany and this winter they had to ensure that the hire car company put winter tyres on the cars (by default they didn't).

Just at the dealer now doing the deal. The epc confirmed that in UK (Europe?) there is not technical difference in steering set, parts, hardware nor software. The service manager showed me that the are the same. Same turning circle, same lock etc.

Does make me wonder why the us market is different? That is if it really is.

but he also spends time in Germany where they are compulsory.

You can use non-winter tyres but if you have an accident you will be fined etc. etc.

Many of our office staff do stints in Germany and this winter they had to ensure that the hire car company put winter tyres on the cars (by default they didn't).

Thanks for the clarification. A bit like the "should" elements in our Highway Code?