Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

4Th Year Service Brake Fluid

T.F.S.B.I.G.W.S.

Does everyone get the following done on the 4th year service?

brake fluid drain & replaced (recommened every 2 years / 40,000 miles)

I would as brake fluid is hygroscopic and begins to loose effectiveness with age... Like us all crybaby.gif

Well consider it this way, if you do not undertake a required maintenance and you then have a road traffic accident (RTC) where it can be shown that you saved £50; and this was a contributory factor for the RTC, then how do you think your Ins. Co. will react? But even that aside, brake fluid helps yous top, like the brakes and tyres...for the sake of a few quid do you really want to have that nagging doubt in your mind?

Get it done :)

I didn't want a nagging doubt but my nearest Toyotaworld Garage quoted for a service without the brake fluid job - so I was interested in the opinion of you guys

I didn't want a nagging doubt but my nearest Toyotaworld Garage quoted for a service without the brake fluid job - so I was interested in the opinion of you guys

It's good to stop... laugh.gif

Well consider it this way, if you do not undertake a required maintenance and you then have a road traffic accident (RTC) where it can be shown that you saved £50; and this was a contributory factor for the RTC, then how do you think your Ins. Co. will react? But even that aside, brake fluid helps yous top, like the brakes and tyres...for the sake of a few quid do you really want to have that nagging doubt in your mind?

Get it done :)

with all due respect they wouldnt give a monkeys - as long as it was MOT'd and roadworthy, theres not normally a clause involving scheduled maintance. That said - agree - get it done! :)

with all due respect they wouldnt give a monkeys - as long as it was MOT'd and roadworthy, theres not normally a clause involving scheduled maintance. That said - agree - get it done! :)

Well the MOT argument is one that is given too much weight. Meaning that if a car has an MOT then all it suggests is that the inspected car was roadworthy at time of inspection - it otherwise has no value :P

As for roadworthy, how can a car be deemed roadworthy if scheduled/regular maintenance has not been carried out? Its like a car that has a tyre that is deemed to be 1.8MM at time of MOT. 3 months later will the tyre still have the same amount of tread left after say even 500 miles? No, so the car is not roadworthy, but has an MOT.

Insurance Companies are looking at novel ways to get out of their liabilities - checking service history is a very easy way to deny a claim. Just like they seem to be checking if [diesel] cars invovled in RTCs have been re-mapp'd (and the map not declared).

As you imply, a valid MOT should not be indicative of roadworthyness. However, a defective tyre would make it unroadworthy - whether or not at the time of an MOT

As long as any water contaminant in the brake fluid did not cause them to be ineffective then I can't see how it could be classed as unroadworthy. I bet any car would pass the MOT braking test with highly contaminated brake fluid as long as the brakes weren't too hot. I believe in some countries the brake fluid is subjec t of a separate test to determine how much water is present, however I don't think that's the case here.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links