Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Oil Leak - Apparently Serious

Xenole

Have noticed a few spots of oil on the road for a while now but wasn't 100% sure if it was from my Yaris (57 plate 1.3).

About a week ago, I noticed the red oil light was occasionally flashing on for a fraction of a second (generally when freewheeling in first gear before stopping). This happened every few trips. Checked where I was parking and everywhere seemed to have oil on the road afterwards.

Also, pushing the accelerator down a cerrtain way made a funny noise, but pushing further or releasing stopped it.

Popped into my Toyota dealer last week and topped up with a litre of 5W30 oil and the noise ceased.

Since I had a full (2nd year, 17400 miles on clock) service due today and the accelerator recall problem was due to be fixed at the same time, so I assumed that a few days longer shouldn't make any difference.

Got a call from the garage a few minutes ago saying that there was a serious oil leak and it would be at least Monday afternoon before I would get it back. Don't know the mechanics of the car to say exsactly where it is.

My question is this. Would this be covered under the warranty or it is one of these things they'll put down to wear and tear, charge £50 for the job and £500 for labour?

hi,

their is a good chance that is possibly the timing cas cover thats leaking oil. its very common and yaris's off all ages to leak oil from here. the cover gets removed and the old sealer taken off. the in some cases a new cover gets fitted or a new sealer will be used. its covered under your 3 year 60,000 mile warranty

Sounds like you got lucky and topped up the oil just in time! Any sign of the engine oil light coming on can have disastrous results for the engine, that could be why it was making the funny noise you mention. :crybaby:

The key here as allways is.....Check the oil level more regularly! :lol:

Have noticed a few spots of oil on the road for a while now but wasn't 100% sure if it was from my Yaris (57 plate 1.3).

About a week ago, I noticed the red oil light was occasionally flashing on for a fraction of a second (generally when freewheeling in first gear before stopping). This happened every few trips. Checked where I was parking and everywhere seemed to have oil on the road afterwards.

Also, pushing the accelerator down a cerrtain way made a funny noise, but pushing further or releasing stopped it.

Popped into my Toyota dealer last week and topped up with a litre of 5W30 oil and the noise ceased.

Since I had a full (2nd year, 17400 miles on clock) service due today and the accelerator recall problem was due to be fixed at the same time, so I assumed that a few days longer shouldn't make any difference.

Got a call from the garage a few minutes ago saying that there was a serious oil leak and it would be at least Monday afternoon before I would get it back. Don't know the mechanics of the car to say exsactly where it is.

My question is this. Would this be covered under the warranty or it is one of these things they'll put down to wear and tear, charge £50 for the job and £500 for labour?

it will be covered under warranty and thank god it is............the book time for the cover is 7.1hours fraction more if you have air con.....

it will be covered under warranty and thank god it is............the book time for the cover is 7.1hours fraction more if you have air con.....

It was covered under warranty :) Only £198 for the service too - still not cheap but better than the £250 I was expecting.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links