Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Egr Valve Cleaning

steview130

hi folks first post here im having some bother with my avensis think its the egr valve anyone ever cleaned one of these, ive a feeling mines blocked, having difficulty starting sometimes and intermitend boost power, car going into limp mode sometimes aswell.

in this pic, (gonna get technical here) under the black cylindrical thingy at the top of the bulk head theres a wee round silver yoke with a few pipes comin out of it, is that it? its a 2.0 d4d 2004 model

enginej.jpg

i borrowed this pic of another guy on this forum btw.

To steview130.

That's your turbo. Look towards the front right (Battery side in your picture) of your engine & you should see unit under a pile of pipes etc next to inlet manifold.

Regards, Beagh.

what is that thing then just out of interest, is it the wastegate. i had a wee nosey around the inlet manifold area but coudnt see whta id expect an egr to ook ike there, would anyone have a pic that i could use as a reference. ive read through a few egr topics on the site and my car seems different, do the newer avensis have a different type of egr set-up.

thanks in advance.

what is that thing then just out of interest, is it the wastegate. i had a wee nosey around the inlet manifold area but coudnt see whta id expect an egr to ook ike there, would anyone have a pic that i could use as a reference. ive read through a few egr topics on the site and my car seems different, do the newer avensis have a different type of egr set-up.

thanks in advance.

The arrow in the picture is pointing to the vacuum unit on the turbo. The actuator controls the variable vanes in the turbo. I posted some pics in the general members' gallery under "1cd ftv egr valve" but they will only help if you have a 1cd ftv engine....!

steview, I have the same year and model avensis. The EGR valve is just beside that green "plug", and slightly under that black exhaust type box. It has a round cylinder on top, held on with two tiny bolts. The Bolts for the valve itself are below the little cylinder, one on either side, and one below. You will know it's the right one if you see two coolant hoses coming out, one on each side. Be careful removing these, as they have coolant in them!!

Best of luck,

Ken.

got it sorted there folks, it actually didnt seem that overly bad, but i gave it a clean anyway. im beginning to think my problem lies elsewhere. ive noticed now when in the high boost area and i lift off i can hear a noise, not sure how to describe it, it doesnt sound that bad and not very loud, its kinda like the turbo is chattering on spool down if you can imagine that sound, why would this be happening, the turbo seems to work grand though and the car boosts well, any ideas???