Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Led Heater Button Light

AygoIronman

I installed a LED to my heater button today. Got a bit fed up at night trying to work out what heater setting I was on.

I actually followed this link from 107 Blogspot.

http://my107.blogspot.com/2009/06/led-in-heater-button.html

I bought a 3mm LEd from eBay. Make sure its a "prewired LED" as it will have a black, and a red cable to tell you the polarity. If you dont buy a pre-wired LED then you`ll just have a LED, and nothing else. I found 3mm was the right size to fit that small round cirle on the button.

Next you`ll need to get a 3mm drill bit to drill the hole in the button. Please take care when drilling the hole. I found out almsot to my peril that the plastic is a cheap hard plastic, and the drill slipped, and I nearly drilled a hole in my hand.

Note: *Please make sure you use the correct tools!*

I then went out to buy 2 wire connectors from Halfords. I cant remember the wire width as I threw the box out but I m sure it was 3mm from Halfords code H and cost £2.29.

The photos are accurate to connect, but please note the black wire ACTUALLY goes to the white grey wire with a BLACK wire running along the cable. The 107Blogspot article shows its to the "White grey wire" but when you open up your dash there are 2 the same, but one with a black line running along it is the one you want. If you study the photographs the wires are connected to the WHITE cable adapter. If it wasnt for the 8th photograph on the link above. I would have made a big boo boo.

Then push the LED through the heater button, and superglue it down. Voila, and what a difference it makes. Mind you the LED is quite bright, and I can still see its on even when the sun is out!

What you`ll need.

Pre-wired LED (3mmm). You can actually buy other colours like BLUE, GREEN, or AMBER. I chose red to match my dash illumination.

Super glue

3mm drill head

2 Wire connectors - Got a set from Halfords. (Code H £2.29) They look like these - http://www.ouros.co.uk/image/dproducts/econnect/1.jpg

Cross blade screw driver to remove dash screws.

Patience, and lots of it. lol

Time taken: 30 minutes.

• Like 1

I've had this mod on my car for a couple of years now. Mine actually was

the inspiration for EJS (the one the blog refers to) to build these LED-sets.

I've done quite a few now too, in different colors even...

Only I solder all wires instead of using $&*&^%^&*-ScotchLoks

Thanks for your input Raistlin, and arbs. Thought I d put something into the club. I ve been a member of the Fiat, and Peugeot clubs but this site seems to be lacking something. Not sure what it is.

Anyway, thought I d like to share my mods, and thanks to Jan for the original inspiration. I hope the 3rd generation Aygo has something like this. Its a samll mod that can help at night so much.

I Haven't tried this mod, but was thinking of just drilling the hole and see if there is sufficient light coming through from the backlight in the panel behind to show the the position of the knob. Not as good as the LED, but would be easier :)

I Haven't tried this mod, but was thinking of just drilling the hole and see if there is sufficient light coming through from the backlight in the panel behind to show the the position of the knob. Not as good as the LED, but would be easier :)

Hi Kevin. Thanks for your reply, and your enthusiasm in trying to make a mod, and contributiong to the site.

I m sorry to say this wont work. Where the lights are placed. They are at both sides of the button lower down. You can remove the round heater control at night to see what I mean. DONT drill any hole until you have checked to see what I mean. At the end of the day, what you dont want is a hole in your button.

Any questions, please ask,a nd I will give you a detailed account and help you.

Best wishes

I Haven't tried this mod, but was thinking of just drilling the hole and see if there is sufficient light coming through from

the backlight in the panel behind to show the the position of the knob. Not as good as the LED, but would be easier :)

That's the first thing I tried, so I wouldn't have th hassle of wiring the knob. Won't work, as pointed out...

Just remove the knob and you'll see. I then tried a bit of fiberoptics, but that didn't work well either and

broke very soon due to the bending back and forth in such close quarters...

The LED really is simplest, using thin wires you can just run them between the seams of the panels

and solder them onto the illumination for the hazard-switch. Green is positive, White w/ Black negative.

I was going to do a mock up knob with the hole and see if it would work before drilling, but seems like you guys have done the homework already. Think I'll do the LED install when installing the bluetooth and alarm, hopefully later this summer. Don't even have the time to wax the car at the moment :(

I was going to do a mock up knob with the hole and see if it would work before drilling, but seems like you guys have done the homework already. Think I'll do the LED install when installing the bluetooth and alarm, hopefully later this summer. Don't even have the time to wax the car at the moment :(

Oh dear! :( Waxing a car is a big no no. Wax protects your car! I was out shopping and in the Asda car park I thought I actually saw my OLD car! (Peugeot 106) It wasnt when I got closer but I noticed it was the SAME year my old car was, in 2002. You could tell the owner of the car in the car park NEVER looked after the paint work. Stone chips all over the front bonnet, and the paint rusting underneath as you could see the the paint work "bubbling". Compare to my car, and I have to say my car was in showroom condition. Just goes to show you that cars can last a lot longer with some TLC

Good luck with your mod. Any questions, then Jan can answer! Pmsl :yahoo:

• 3 years later...

Does anyone know if its possible to power this LED from the plug that has the mid console lights in? So the LED lights up at the same time as the rest when you turn your headlights on.

• 6 years later...

anyone know where the wiring is run for this mod ?  so it can turn with the knob?