Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Strange Grating/vibrating Noise When Accelerating - Help!

pistolpea

Hi there,

My 2001 MR2 has recently started making a strange noise when I start accelerating over 30mph in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear. My knowledge of cars is somewhat lacking so describing the problem is rather difficult! It sounds as though it's around the exhaust but I had the car in the garage last week and they said the exhaust system was fine and nothing was loose. Mechanically the engine sounds fine, it's as though there is something touching a vibrating part of car because when I touch the accelerator I hear the grating/vibrating noise and when I take my foot off the gas the noise stops.

I'm scratching my head as to what it could be, has anyone ever had a similar problem? Can anyone help me fix this without being stung for a large bill at the garage!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Pete

My first guess would be something loose somewhere... not necessarily the exhaust system as noises can carry.

Did the garage check all over or just the exhaust??

Whereabouts in Leeds you from btw?

It was in the for the MOT and I mentioned the noise and they just checked the exhaust system I think and said it was solid. It's really annoying because I described it to them the best I could but typically when they took it out it didn't make the noise! It's a lot more noticeable with the top down.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links