Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Exhaust Rattle

Space Monkey

Hey guys

I have a slightly sporty exhaust but lately its getting louder.

Its not blowing due to a hole, but when i accelerate i get a kind of extra noise other than the growl of the exhaust.

I know sounds are hard to describe but it kind of sounds terrible around town, like a tin of nuts rattling around.

My mechanic said it sounded loud during the MOT and that it could be a loose baffle, but to be honest im not sure what that means.

Is there a part I can replace or something I can do to remedy it?

If not what would I need to replace as part of a new exhaust system

thanks

Hi

Im not sure what a baffle is either could be one of the mounts that hold the exhaust on maybe?

I had a rattle on mine a while a go - really anoying rather than dangerous

I got someone to rev the engine to the revs where it was rattling and i had a look underneath....

I traced it to a heat shield that had broken near a bolt and was just hanging down onto the exhaust

I waited for the exhaust to cool and just used a small piece of metal and some pliers to crimp the shield back up

Its been fine ever since about a year ago hope this helps

ps obviously dont go proding the thing when the parts are still hot

Jon

Hi

Im not sure what a baffle is either could be one of the mounts that hold the exhaust on maybe?

I had a rattle on mine a while a go - really anoying rather than dangerous

I got someone to rev the engine to the revs where it was rattling and i had a look underneath....

I traced it to a heat shield that had broken near a bolt and was just hanging down onto the exhaust

I waited for the exhaust to cool and just used a small piece of metal and some pliers to crimp the shield back up

Its been fine ever since about a year ago hope this helps

ps obviously dont go proding the thing when the parts are still hot

Jon

Thanks for the reply :-)

I think they meant something inside when they said a baffle, but looking around and also by your email i think the heat shield seems to be the issue.

will get a good look and let you know how i get on

The baffle is the sections within the silencer that make the exhaust sound quieter. So thats the bits inside one of the exhaust boxes.

Try getting someone to rev the car for you and have a listen underneath the car. Another thing that can cause rattling is the exhaust heat shields. They can be anywhere along the length of the exhaust so have a good look from the engine end and underneath. They are silvery coloured metal sheilds that protect the body of the car and other parts of the car from the heat emitted from the exhaust.

Hope that helps a little.