Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tte Compressor Opinions.....

GT4 James

Hi all, just want some advice from owners/previous of the tte compressor corolla. I currently own a 205 gt4 celica and previously before that had a 52 plate corolla TS. Ive had my eye on the compressors for a while now and finally got round to taking one out today and i was seriously disapointed, emm what happened to hitting 6000rpm and lift kicking in.... :S and i thought they were meant to be faster than t-sport, my old one was defo quicker than compressor i took out today. Not only that but as a stock model do you get much supercharger noise as the one i drove today didnt even sound like it had one lol. (and yes i checked under bonnet to see if there was one lol) Overall the only positive i could see was the suspension setup was defo better than old one but that was pretty much it. Please opinions as this has just sent this car off my no1 wishlist to off it! Was this a one off dodgy model or are they all a bit tame compared to the original tsport?? :wacko:

Hi all, just want some advice from owners/previous of the tte compressor corolla. I currently own a 205 gt4 celica and previously before that had a 52 plate corolla TS. Ive had my eye on the compressors for a while now and finally got round to taking one out today and i was seriously disapointed, emm what happened to hitting 6000rpm and lift kicking in.... :S and i thought they were meant to be faster than t-sport, my old one was defo quicker than compressor i took out today. Not only that but as a stock model do you get much supercharger noise as the one i drove today didnt even sound like it had one lol. (and yes i checked under bonnet to see if there was one lol) Overall the only positive i could see was the suspension setup was defo better than old one but that was pretty much it. Please opinions as this has just sent this car off my no1 wishlist to off it! Was this a one off dodgy model or are they all a bit tame compared to the original tsport?? :wacko:

ok you don't hear a proper whine until you put a induction kit on(doin it myself this week end :thumbsup: )the comp you drove prob had 95 ron petrol in so ecu has gone to the lower map comps run on super unleaded 98 ron,lift is smoothed out by the charger, my pressors a flier!just a constant blast of power all the way up the rev range,was it from a toyota dealer?post-44294-12717947619_thumb.jpg

Now you say that mate i do remember the once off putting 95 into my TS and it ran like a bag and yeah to be fair he did put petrol in it when i took it out, texaco 95 :S which i know is absolute pants. So if its gone into running a slightly different map does it correct itself automatically once higher ron is put in or does it need mapping? and again i remember putting induction kit on my ts and being shocked that an induction kit actually made a marked improvement on performance, whereas no other car i had before ever really saw much improvement from induction kits. But seriously has the obvious note in engine tone gone on lift now, like i said the TS was awesome hitting lift is a bit gutting its not there now? or is but isnt obvious lol

I thought if u put in 95 Ron the car goes into limp/ cruel mode?

Best choice is to test drive another one and see wot u think, if ur not keen on the performance dont buy it. With many previous Compressor owners they purchased the car and was disappointed with the performance and sold it. Im not trying to put u off, but dnt want u wasting money on a car ur not gna b happy with.

re setting the ecu puts it back on the power map not the safe map but you need 98 ron in not 95 and it will take a couple of tanks to settle down.as said drive another to see if you like the compressor.

I just had a quick race with a regular t-sport last weekend... and my tsc really blasted him...

but I really don't see the Corolla as a race car, it's just a fast daily driver.

If I would need a pure race car with lots of performance Toyota wouldn't be my choice ;)

I just had a quick race with a regular t-sport last weekend... and my tsc really blasted him...

but I really don't see the Corolla as a race car, it's just a fast daily driver.

If I would need a pure race car with lots of performance Toyota wouldn't be my choice ;)

Unless I win the lottery anytime soon Toyotas seem to do quite well for me lol. My gt four surprises some heavy weight motors worth sheds of cash more so keeps me happy. Was just so happy with my t-sport when i had it was an awesome car so am really hoping the one i drove was a dud or something wasnt so good. Is almost worth seeing if another enthusiast is selling rather than trader, at least then hopefully has been looked after and the right fuel used, think worst any of my motors ever see is 97 ron and i feel naughty then lol.

• 2 months later...

Did anyone else know that the pre facelift t-sports are faster then facelift models.....apparently. Would be interesting which one you raced if is true?

really? Honestly? I sure the only difference is a bit of moulded plastic bumper mate. If you don't like the comp don't get one, save up and get something else.

Hmm ur racing a car with sub near enough equal power maybe down by a few bhp in stock form, yet a compressor weighs around 70kg more. I find it hard to believe that you would have blasted him. What's the best time a standard compressor runs in stock form on a quater.

Your not wrong James, as a few members on here know Ricc's cts was a hands down winner and is faster than any F/L cts I've been in... I'm not entirely sure as to why, but yes the pfl's are faster as standard

Your not wrong James, as a few members on here know Ricc's cts was a hands down winner and is faster than any F/L cts I've been in... I'm not entirely sure as to why, but yes the pfl's are faster as standard

But that argument could be solely down to riccs driving style. you could argue that if you put ricc in a pfl, or comp he could go just as quick if not quicker.

Didn't Ricc shed loads of weight in the his pfl?

I can't see the pfl being that much faster to be honest, both have the same power, torque and weight!! Bit odd to me :S

If you'r going to do the mods like Will(ckman) has done then go for it IMO.

Very true there ^^^^^

Can't the GT4 engine be modded for great power?

few for a second there thought i was totally stupid cheers dude ;) Well look all I know and this is not gospel by any means but I do work in the trade and a toyota tech told me it was something to do with the way ecu is mapped. The t-sport got taken off sale as it didnt meet stricter european emissions laws and so the facelift version was slightly underpowered to accomodate this. He said there are stories of pfl models only putting out 165bhp.....and illgryphon please dont get the wrong impression I can see you own compressor and im not here to slate only to educate myself a bit more first hand off people who own them and not fairy tale brochures, hope you havent taken offence as I am still seriously considering a compressor myself. PS If anyone is after a mint gt-four i am selling it ;) Full spec on pistonheads... http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1830669.htm

Can't really give an opinion on t - sport not having driven one myself but all I can say is that my compressor is a riot to drive - very point and squirt. The power is there all through the rev range. Won't have the tuning potential of your GT4 but still it's good out of the box. As for fuel I was under the impression that under no circumstances were you to put anything less than 98 RON in the vehicle. It is set up to run on 98+ so if they were running less than this performance would be well down - the owners manual actually suggests a risk of knock.

Can't really give an opinion on t - sport not having driven one myself but all I can say is that my compressor is a riot to drive - very point and squirt. The power is there all through the rev range. Won't have the tuning potential of your GT4 but still it's good out of the box. As for fuel I was under the impression that under no circumstances were you to put anything less than 98 RON in the vehicle. It is set up to run on 98+ so if they were running less than this performance would be well down - the owners manual actually suggests a risk of knock.

yup..... id not even risk lower then 98ron in mine, 99ron all the way :yahoo: ive also heard a neat little trick from a toyota teccy that you can do to the ecu on start up:thumbsup:

Its a must to use 97ron or higher on a compressor. As for pre face lift being faster than facelift, thats total rubbish, i have owned both and they are no different at all, my facelift does pull stronger at higher speeds, but i would put that down to it being newer and lower mileage. Also pre face lift has 187bhp and facelift has 189bhp.

There were no differences aparts from cosmetic and suspension between pre and facelift.

Engine was the same, Gearbox and ECU, No power differences at all

Toyota Stated 189BHP

some companies said 190BHP

Others put down 187BHP

Depending on different countries power readings are taken differently for example in australia they count KW. If converted to BHP the figure may change by a number or two that is why some reviews stage 189 and others may say 187. Depending on mileage and wear and tear one may feel quicker than the other.

Compressors began as standard facelift t-sports which were probably the last off the production line, They were assembled here in the UK by a company called merlin international.

They arrived in the UK as standard T-Sports the company then added on the compressor kits and things.

Merlin International

ok you don't hear a proper whine until you put a induction kit on(doin it myself this week end :thumbsup: )the comp you drove prob had 95 ron petrol in so ecu has gone to the lower map comps run on super unleaded 98 ron,lift is smoothed out by the charger, my pressors a flier!just a constant blast of power all the way up the rev range,was it from a toyota dealer?post-44294-12717947619_thumb.jpg

Is your compressor now up for sale...? ;)

There were no differences aparts from cosmetic and suspension between pre and facelift.

Toyota Stated 189BHP

Others put down 187BHP

Depending on different countries power readings are taken differently for example in australia they count KW. If converted to BHP the figure may change by a number or two that is why some reviews stage 189 and others may say 187. Depending on mileage and wear and tear one may feel quicker than the other.

Compressors began as standard facelift t-sports which were probably the last off the production line, They were assembled here in the UK by a company called merlin international.

They arrived in the UK as standard T-Sports the company then added on the compressor kits and things.

Merlin International

Didnt know that mate useful info thankyou! Yaris Turbo as well???

One thing i must say though, guy in compressor who my mate in TS raced obv cant drive cos pfl tsport left compressor badly seriously ! But yeh think after everything ive heard gt4 is looking like it might be kept, being able to spank a 645ci bmw and some noooob head in a skyline gts (350bhp apparently snigger snigger) has rekindled my love for it me thinks. No compressor or ts are going to compare sadly by looks of it. Back to the drawing board :(

Toyota Stated 189BHP

Others put down 187BHP

Merlin International

One thing i must say though, guy in compressor who my mate in TS raced obv cant drive cos pfl tsport left compressor badly seriously ! But yeh think after everything ive heard gt4 is looking like it might be kept, being able to spank a 645ci bmw and some noooob head in a skyline gts (350bhp apparently snigger snigger) has rekindled my love for it me thinks. No compressor or ts are going to compare sadly by looks of it. Back to the drawing board :(

not a problem,

You would be extremely surprised before my friends compressor was written off in stock form a standard t-sport is about the same as a compressor. Its not unlikely for a compressor to be beaten. We are talking high 14 second cars here the difference is going to be minimal and down to driver.

Williams compressor runs a healthy 234BHP and he runs a 14.4 quater, There are so many compressor threads with people stating 225bhp from exhaust and intake yet they run the same quater miles as stock t-sports.

We have yet to see a stock compressor run a quarter in under 14.7 seconds. High 14s are t-sport territory as proved by many members.

Compressors weigh 1280KG

Standard T-Sports Around 1210KG

These are kerb weights according to toyota.

70KG is a fair bit of weight that is why they are very close in terms of performance.

Toyota Stated 189BHP

Others put down 187BHP

Merlin International

not a problem,

You would be extremely surprised before my friends compressor was written off in stock form a standard t-sport is about the same as a compressor. Its not unlikely for a compressor to be beaten. We are talking high 14 second cars here the difference is going to be minimal and down to driver.

Williams compressor runs a healthy 234BHP and he runs a 14.4 quater, There are so many compressor threads with people stating 225bhp from exhaust and intake yet they run the same quater miles as stock t-sports.

We have yet to see a stock compressor run a quarter in under 14.7 seconds. High 14s are t-sport territory as proved by many members.

Compressors weigh 1280KG

Standard T-Sports Around 1210KG

These are kerb weights according to toyota.

70KG is a fair bit of weight that is why they are very close in terms of performance.

Really thats nothing on quarter mile? My pfl ts done 14.9 at pod with an induction kit lol. There doesnt seem to be a lot available for compressor in terms of performance upgrades either. Wonder if there are companies dealing with exige that might offer improvements?

As the T-sport and compressor share the same engine the majority of mods are interchangable - this would go for the chasis as well.

As for quarter mile times, etc I think these are pretty much irrelevant. We know that the performance of the 2 cars is similar and if you choose to go down the modifying route then you can always add a tte supercharger to a normal t-sport and get the increase to compressor power. In the same way you could choose to shed weight from your compressor. My point is if you were considering a compressor then you would do this because it is a limited car, you won't see many others knocking about.

If the ultimate goal is performance/power then for similar money you could get a supra. For less money you could get an MR2 turbo or you could stick with the GT4.