Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Resetting The Ecu

The Cav

How do i reset the ECU on my 2.2 Avensis

I'm hoping the smoke problem my be an ecu problem

it only happens when the ecu tells the fuel injection to go into normal mode.

there's no smoke when the car is in start/run mode(when starting 1st thing in the morn)

it only starts smoking when the tick over slows down for normal driving mode

basically every time i take my foot of the gas and then re apply the throttle

the car gives a billow of black diesel smelling smoke

under heavy driving there's no smoke

its all too confusing and guess what... the warranty ran out 5 days ago

How do i reset the ECU on my 2.2 Avensis

I'm hoping the smoke problem my be an ecu problem

it only happens when the ecu tells the fuel injection to go into normal mode.

there's no smoke when the car is in start/run mode(when starting 1st thing in the morn)

it only starts smoking when the tick over slows down for normal driving mode

basically every time i take my foot of the gas and then re apply the throttle

the car gives a billow of black diesel smelling smoke

under heavy driving there's no smoke

its all too confusing and guess what... the warranty ran out 5 days ago

You posted the other day about cleaning your egr. Have you read the thread i recomended and cleaned it yet? If you have have your also blown throught the dpf pressure sensor pipes? as there have been some positive feed back regarding that and a reduction in smoking.

If you havent cleaned the EGR go clean it, or get it cleaned. Its only 2 nuts 4 bolts and one electrical clip 15 minutes of scrapping and spraying.

Also if you lift off and plant your foot on the gas then in most diesel you will get some smoke as it will tend to over fuel. that used to happen in all the old peugeot diesel Ive owned. Best acceleration is generally under smooth increase in cyclinder pressure in the tourque range, leads to max efficeny and reduced smoking.

Rememeber some combinations of conditions in the engine will cause the dpf to try to clean itself certain ie engine air temps combined with rpm throatal openings. Theres a steep hill on my way to work about 15 mins from the house if there is traffic and the car has warmed up by the time i hit then going up in 2nd when its cold can makes the cars behind disappear. Even when its warm can cause small bursts of smoke.

What type of driving do you doo? town or fast A/ motorway? If its around town then the dpf engine needs to be given some beans regualarly to clean the DPF. On motorway/ fast a run its normally gets done with out you noticiing. (the exception apparently is it doent regen at speeds over 100mph as found out by some germans on the autobahns).

The odd italian tune up (engine warm of course) does it wonders (well keeps the smoke down)

• 4 months later...

thanks for the reply

having done the egr valve

where are the dpf pipes to blow through on the avensis 2.2 engine

As far as I know, they go to a small box type sensor unit right at the very back of the engine on the bulkhead at the top/middle (well its there on mine). I think thats the unit in question.

thanks for the reply

Hi mate,

I stand to be corrected here but I don't think your car will have DPF fitted like the 180 does, I assume yours is the 2.2 150 bhp T-spirit like mine.

Best regards .. .. Pete.

thanks for the reply

Hi mate,

I stand to be corrected here but I don't think your car will have DPF fitted like the 180 does, I assume yours is the 2.2 150 bhp T-spirit like mine.

Best regards .. .. Pete.

yes mines a 150 bhp

What Ive done recently is to blast it down the motorway at 80mph in 3rd gear (you should have seen the smoke when I joined the motorway and floored it ...like a smokescreen) it was the 1st time it had been on the motorway since July 9th when I came back from torquay...

that seems to have cleaned it a bit and Ive also cleaned the maf sensor with switch cleaner ...resulting in not so smokey now... although still a bit when accelerating out of a bend or corner Ive negotiated ...maybe down to trying to accelerate too quickly in the wrong gear so car is over fuelling...

then I get a plume of black smoke ...but car is exceptionally quick now ...just that !Removed! smoke as I said when you accelerate out of a corner/bend

Having said all that the fuel consumption has now gone from 30/31 mpg to 35/36 knocking around town which is much better

thanks for the reply

Hi mate,

Best regards .. .. Pete.

yes mines a 150 bhp

What Ive done recently is to blast it down the motorway at 80mph in 3rd gear (you should have seen the smoke when I joined the motorway and floored it ...like a smokescreen) it was the 1st time it had been on the motorway since July 9th when I came back from torquay...

that seems to have cleaned it a bit and Ive also cleaned the maf sensor with switch cleaner ...resulting in not so smokey now... although still a bit when accelerating out of a bend or corner Ive negotiated ...maybe down to trying to accelerate too quickly in the wrong gear so car is over fuelling...

then I get a plume of black smoke ...but car is exceptionally quick now ...just that !Removed! smoke as I said when you accelerate out of a corner/bend

Having said all that the fuel consumption has now gone from 30/31 mpg to 35/36 knocking around town which is much better

Hi again, glad things are improving for you, I did the so called "Italian Tuneup" method a few weeks ago coming back from North Wales, on the A55 there is a very long hill at Ewole between St Asaph and Chester you probably know it well. You can keep loads of power on the engine in 3rd gear for about 2 miles without overrevving the motor which is ideal, my car has run very well since. I don't think these engines are suited to plodding around doing the "economy run" like I am guilty of at times so if you do drive like this the "Italian Tuneup" is a must now and then;).

Best regards ..... Pete.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links