Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Good Service

Jack Taylor

Hey everyone,

I have decided to give my Carina II a once over as it has now done 226,000 miles. I would like to know a list of things that should be done to keep it running as good as it is now for longer. This is what I have come up with so far;

Oil Filter + Oil (what brand have you found good)

Air Filter

Fuel Filer

Spark Plugs

Wiper Blades

Brake Pads (front and rear)

That is what I can think of at the moment. If there is any other items that should be done please don't hesitate to tell me as I want to do it all in a weekend. :)

Thanks jack Taylor

Hey everyone,

I have decided to give my Carina II a once over as it has now done 226,000 miles. I would like to know a list of things that should be done to keep it running as good as it is now for longer. This is what I have come up with so far;

Oil Filter + Oil (what brand have you found good)

Air Filter

Fuel Filer

Spark Plugs

Wiper Blades

Brake Pads (front and rear)

That is what I can think of at the moment. If there is any other items that should be done please don't hesitate to tell me as I want to do it all in a weekend. :)

Thanks Jack Taylor

Hello jack

Go for a good quality oil, these engines are almost bombproof and deserve a bit of TLC. when was your timing belt replaced last? Id only change the pads if it really needs them.

Yeah the break pads do need doing. I think the last timing belt change was about 20,000 miles ago. Not 100% sure of that to be honest. I have heard about those magnetic oils that stick to the metal do you think it is worth bothering with those type things. Also would a magnetic sump plug be any good or does it already have one of these?

Hi jack

If your not sure about the timing belt i would change it, easier to replace it than the engine. Id just go for a good qualility 10/40 oil and not bother with the magnetic, if memory serves me right i think there is a magnetic sump plug already in them

I have decided on this list of items I am going to buy for it now, If there is anything that would be good to change or add please feel free to say. :)

1) Oil Filter + Oil I found in my garage (not mega well known brand but feels nice and smooth on my fingers)

2) Air Filter

3) Fuel Filter

4) Spark Plugs

5) Wiper Blades

6) Brake Pads (front and rear)

7) Timing Belt

Total Cost £61.82

Don't forget the all important gearbox oil as it is just as important as the engine but it often gets overlooked. I use a lentgh of 1/2 inch garden hose and a kitchen funnel to refill it.

When you check your brake linings make sure there is no cracking or splitting and the material is not coming away from the metal back plate, as they might look as though they have plenty of meat on but they might be too old to be servicable and clean out the groove in the middle of the pads as the dust that gets trapped can cause brake squeal. And use copper grease when refitting.

Test the coolant strength also, i bought one from Halfords for a couple of quid. If it hasnt been changed for a while might be worth doing when you do the rest of the jobs.

Check and adjust the handbrake, should be between 4 and 7 clicks if i remember right but you can check in the manual.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

How much would you estimate this will all cost. Also what type of gearbox oil is good and how do I drain the old stuff. It hasn't been done since we last properly got it serviced in a garage about 130,000 miles ago. :unsure:

WOW 130k i'm surprised it's still working!!

Pads £15-£20

Shoes £20-£30

Oil filter £3-£4

Oil £20-£30

Gearbox oil £20

Fuel filter £10-£12

Anti freeze/summer coolant £17-£20

Spark plugs £10-£20 set of four.

Air filter £6-£8

Also forgot to mention about changing the power steering fluid and brake fluid should be done about every 2yrs to prolong the life of the pipes and also to preserve brake pressure as it gets tiny air bubbles in over time reducing effiency £7 a litre.

Take the tops off your Battery and check the levels, if low boil the kettle and top up.

Hope this will help :rolleyes:

Hey, Have you heard of www.eurocarparts.com

The prices on there are very cheap. My friend uses this company to supply his garage. Very good prices. Here is the cost of a fuel filter.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Toyota_Carina_II_1.6_1990/p/Car-Parts/Service-Parts/Regular-Service/Fuel-Filters/?50370026J&1&b71b71c096c545a8855ff1e13159c33dd6ff3348&FUEF

Hope this helps you out as they have great prices. :thumbsup:

Aye it does cheaper than tms or unipart where i normally buy my stuff from cheers :yahoo: