Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lack Of Engine Braking

Geriatric

I think this has gone far enough!

Please try to play nicely on the forums!................Or the topic is toast!

Er!? I think you`ve mis-understood this post. This is a healthy debate. There is no slander, or swearing but a discussion. I m still awaiting my reply why "You'd be better off not replying when you so quite clearly have no idea what you're talking about"

Remember this is a forum. Its about input, discussion, and education. Someone has already mentioned I m better off not replying. If that`s the case, I ll leave this forum. Remember I was a full member of the Peugeot, Renault and a full Fiat club member who participated in all their Concour Competition entries, and joined in their club meets in England. If someone is wise enough to say I m clearly better off not replying, then simple. I wont. I got better things to do to reply to cheap replies like that. I ve driven more than 8 cars in my driving carrer. Joined up to 3 clubs, a driving career since 1993........Ive only put some input only to be ridiculed and say I have no idea what I m talking about.......well okay explain yourself, because I m about to give up on this club, and my contribution. :( :( :(

Don't let Pugboxter put you off the club, after all he is listed as driving a Nissan Micra eek.gif

Obviously an expert on the Aygo laugh.gif

Er!? I think you`ve mis-understood this post. This is a healthy debate. There is no slander, or swearing but a discussion. I m still awaiting my reply why "You'd be better off not replying when you so quite clearly have no idea what you're talking about"

Remember this is a forum. Its about input, discussion, and education. Someone has already mentioned I m better off not replying. If that`s the case, I ll leave this forum. Remember I was a full member of the Peugeot, Renault and a full Fiat club member who participated in all their Concour Competition entries, and joined in their club meets in England. If someone is wise enough to say I m clearly better off not replying, then simple. I wont. I got better things to do to reply to cheap replies like that. I ve driven more than 8 cars in my driving carrer. Joined up to 3 clubs, a driving career since 1993........Ive only put some input only to be ridiculed and say I have no idea what I m talking about.......well okay explain yourself, because I m about to give up on this club, and my contribution. :( :( :(

Blimey 1993 and 8 cars!!!!

I passed my dsa test in 1965 and have lost count of the cars I've had lol Toyota's for the last 20 years and my advanced test in 1998

Agree that this forum is for discussion and let's face it none of us will agree with everything that is said on here, we have to live and let live

You flat-out told someone they were wrong when that was not the case...what kind of reaction did you expect? We can all learn things from each others knowledge but the post you made came across as being slightly aggressive/ arrogant.

You flat-out told someone they were wrong when that was not the case...what kind of reaction did you expect? We can all learn things from each others knowledge but the post you made came across as being slightly aggressive/ arrogant.

Steve I think your post sums up the situation perfectly thanks. :)

Ironman I really don't need to add anything further, there are already plenty of other posts here that give a good explantion of engine braking :)

Don't let Pugboxter put you off the club, after all he is listed as driving a Nissan Micra eek.gif

As he says Ironman don't let me put you off replying, after all what would I know given my choice of car :blink: also I'm sure some forum members will miss your very informative posts :rolleyes:

Seroiusly though for anyone wanting some decent engine braking a nice light-weight flywheel should do the trick ;)

As he says Ironman don't let me put you off replying, after all what would I know given my choice of car :blink: also I'm sure some forum members will miss your very informative posts :rolleyes:

Seroiusly though for anyone wanting some decent engine braking a nice light-weight flywheel should do the trick ;)

Hey Pugboxster, all is forgiven!! Imagine saying:

"You'd be better off not replying when you so quite clearly have no idea what you're talking about "

That can be miscontrued into something else. I got a bit upset when I read that line and telling someone I was better off not replying, when I do contribute to this site. Other members like Jan de Vouw, Raistlin, are also good contributors. Rememeber this is a site to share information,and knowledge as well as educate others about their passion....the Toyota Aygo. Simply by mention to someone they have no idea what they are talking about and better off not replying isnt informative nor is it educational. I know you mean well, and all is forgotten. Please try to thinbk twice what you say as writing something isnt always the same as saying something to someone face to face.

The reason why I aid the term was incorrect was becuase I read this line: "gears are for going, brakes are for stopping", and advises against engine braking."

Was trying to get deabte going about the term.

Anyway....upwards and onwards!

Anyway....upwards and onwards!

Or...............Downwards and onwards..............If you want to use that engine braking :yahoo::lol: ;)

Steve, it's best you grab your coat... tongue.gif

But that was his best line in years... :D

The reason why I aid the term was incorrect was becuase I read this line: "gears are for going, brakes are for stopping", and advises against engine braking."

Hey I see you're also a psychic, that phrase didn't crop up until post 25! this hole is big enough already, do yourself a favour and stop digging :yes:

Regarding recardo and his A/C button braking. I keep accurate fuel records and without aircon my average is 59mpg with aircon it is down to 53mpg. I must try to save the aircon just to boost the engine braking as it uses a lot of fuel!!

My Corolla 1.4D4D went from 55mpg to 53mpg with aircon. I think it a great pity Toyota do not do the 1.4D4D in the Aygo. The performance and fuel economy would be oustanding and with an MMT box I would change tomorrow.

Regarding recardo and his A/C button braking. I keep accurate fuel records and without aircon my average is 59mpg with aircon it is down to 53mpg. I must try to save the aircon just to boost the engine braking as it uses a lot of fuel!!

My Corolla 1.4D4D went from 55mpg to 53mpg with aircon. I think it a great pity Toyota do not do the 1.4D4D in the Aygo. The performance and fuel economy would be oustanding and with an MMT box I would change tomorrow.

You will have a similar reduction in MPG by going round with the windows down trying to keep cool. Use the A/C sit back and relax, better than being all hot and bothered, if it does bother you, switch off the A/C drop the windows and be bothered by hotness and wind noise :lol:

I too was taught the old fashioned way and still use engine braking, even though it is less of an effect these days, I cant ever remember changing brakes on any of my cars over the years. (or clutches for that matter)

Somebody mentioned using engine braking and changing down gears in the ice, for gawds sake, dont change down whilst going downhill in ice, you will soon visit the ditch, dropping a gear is a bit like touching the brakes, it should be avoided, better to lower your speed to start with and keep gear changes/braking to a minimum

Kingo :thumbsup:

You will have a similar reduction in MPG by going round with the windows down trying to keep cool. Use the A/C sit back and relax, better than being all hot and bothered, if it does bother you, switch off the A/C drop the windows and be bothered by hotness and wind noise :lol:

I too was taught the old fashioned way and still use engine braking, even though it is less of an effect these days, I cant ever remember changing brakes on any of my cars over the years. (or clutches for that matter)

Somebody mentioned using engine braking and changing down gears in the ice, for gawds sake, dont change down whilst going downhill in ice, you will soon visit the ditch, dropping a gear is a bit like touching the brakes, it should be avoided, better to lower your speed to start with and keep gear changes/braking to a minimum

hi kingo

your from the same school as myself.

if any one thinks they have no engine braking on their car,they want slip their car into nuetral at say 40 mph

( when its safe to do so )and see how far they go before they drop down 20 mph.

then under same conditions just take their foot of the throttle (whilst still in gear) and see the differnce in

slowing down again to 20 mph.

it wont be as much a difference on diesels or indeed modern petrols compared to older petrols.

cos of engine management systems.

if any one damages their clutch by changing down through the gears its cos they dont know how to syncronise their engine revs to road speed in the chosen gear,you dont have to blip the throttle to do this.

as ive said before changing down through the gears smoothly was part of the driving test and you show the tester

you could you do this and be in the correct gear without relying on your brakes.

but things have change since then.

i can never see the point of when you know that your going have to stop be it for traffic lights,road juntion

,traffic queue or any other reason applying your brakes at the last momment as some do,i approach these conditions by slowing the car using the gears and as often happens at traffic lights change your in the correct gear to carry on with out stopping.

your wasting fuel each time use your brakes,and a lot of handbooks mention this.

by observing the the road ahead you can anticepate early on and use your engine braking to slow down and save yor brakes and drive more smoothly.

many will not agree with my comments but ive changed many car and commercial clutches but never needed to in my own vehicle yet.

ive held car,motorcycle and lorry driving licence for 50 years to date.

Gosh I thought I was old......you must be ancient :lol: :lol: :lol: I think Ive had my car and bike licence about 30 years

But yes...too many people race up to junctions, on with the brakes, and off again at full throttle. You are correct, anticipate the road ahead and drive accordingly, nothing wrong with changing down a gear in my book, I might not pass the advanced driving test (I have done a few advanced courses but not the test) but touch wood, I havnt wrecked a car, brake or clutch yet, and dont intend to either :D:

Gosh I thought I was old......you must be ancient :lol: :lol: :lol: I think Ive had my car and bike licence about 30 years

But yes...too many people race up to junctions, on with the brakes, and off again at full throttle. You are correct, anticipate the road ahead and drive accordingly, nothing wrong with changing down a gear in my book, I might not pass the advanced driving test (I have done a few advanced courses but not the test) but touch wood, I havnt wrecked a car, brake or clutch yet, and dont intend to either :D:

hi kingo

had an andvaned driver run in the back of me a couple of years ago was very opologetic, i pointed out that there was little damage to my car (then a passat 14years old) than his volvo , he said one of the dents was caused by a shunt he had the week earlier.

so much for advanced driver.

It's all about anticipation... eek.gif

hi raistlin

i had anticipation,but the wife said she had a headache.

I thought that was expectation :rolleyes: and clearly too much of it by the sounds of it :D

hi pugboxter

cant get too much when your 75 but most of its in the mind

but i do mind.

All I get is clarification......does that count?

It's good to watch... eek.gif

i could do do with rectification.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links