Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Avensis Roof Rails

Jordie

I've had my 2010 Avensis Tourer 2.0 D-4D TR for a week now and I'm very impressed, absolutley love it.

I hope someone can help with a minor quibble though. The roof rails or should I say lack of roof rails.

I knew the "rails" were not like any other I've seen but I didn't realise that they are really just two fixing points.

There are two removable covers on each"rail" the two central larger ones are the fixing points the other two just cover two bolts which I assume are to fix the "rail" to the roof.

Is it possible to fit a proper rail to the car? I can get Thule bars and Toyota bars to fit the fixing points but they will only be 75cm apart which is too close for carrying anything of much length.

Sorry to ramble, hope someone has some ideas.

Hi,

My previous car, a Peugeot 406 Station, had "normal" rails.

There were marking on them where the clamp-on bars should be placed, in order to spread the weight- and wind forces on the roof properly.

These markings were 75 cm between them and matched the attachments on my 2.20 long meter skibox precisely.

I think that's an industry standard.

I negotiated the Toyota bars on my T27 as part of the deal and my skibox fits nicely.

If I would have to transport long ("floppy") loads on my roof other than the stiff skibox, I think I would fit longitudinal supports on them.

Be carefull though, to not underestimate the aerodynamic forces on such load. :unsure:

Hi,

My previous car, a Peugeot 406 Station, had "normal" rails.

There were marking on them where the clamp-on bars should be placed, in order to spread the weight- and wind forces on the roof properly.

These markings were 75 cm between them and matched the attachments on my 2.20 long meter skibox precisely.

I think that's an industry standard.

I negotiated the Toyota bars on my T27 as part of the deal and my skibox fits nicely.

If I would have to transport long ("floppy") loads on my roof other than the stiff skibox, I think I would fit longitudinal supports on them.

Be carefull though, to not underestimate the aerodynamic forces on such load. :unsure:

Thanks Thermal, I thinks your probably right about an industry standard, The thing about proper roof rails is that if required, extra bars can be fitted whereas with the new avensis ones only two can be fitted, which I think limits their usefulness. It's the forces on roof loads that concerns me most it would be nice to occasionally carry a ladder or lengths of timber but i'm not sure the spacing of the bars would be safe for this.

This is totally of no concern to yourself BUT I feel may be of some importance when it comes to roof bars...

Before I bought my Toyota Avensis I had a picasso (I know what a pile of french) anyway, I am a kayaker (paddle rivers in plastic boats) and use roofbars to transport the kayaks. I was on the M56 one evening with 3 boats on the roof (70kg in total) doing about 65mph when my roofbars buckled and with the boats went flying off the roof. Luckily no one was injured and we managed to sort the situation on the side of the motorway.

Just a thought, check with your cars details, make sure you read the max weight your roof will hold and remember that its normally set at 60mph, the faster you travel the more wind resistance you create. I wish I bought a Toyota Avensis Wagon but seen the hatchback and knew it was the one for me!

Good luck

Mike

This is totally of no concern to yourself BUT I feel may be of some importance when it comes to roof bars...

Before I bought my Toyota Avensis I had a picasso (I know what a pile of french) anyway, I am a kayaker (paddle rivers in plastic boats) and use roofbars to transport the kayaks. I was on the M56 one evening with 3 boats on the roof (70kg in total) doing about 65mph when my roofbars buckled and with the boats went flying off the roof. Luckily no one was injured and we managed to sort the situation on the side of the motorway.

Just a thought, check with your cars details, make sure you read the max weight your roof will hold and remember that its normally set at 60mph, the faster you travel the more wind resistance you create. I wish I bought a Toyota Avensis Wagon but seen the hatchback and knew it was the one for me!

Good luck

Mike

Hey Mike a fellow avensis driving paddler. Your right about the picasso, and your not the first to loose boats on the M56 driving one(lucky not me but some friends). Its not just the picasso but any pug/cit that shared the same rubbish fixing point such as the berlingo. When the roof bar gets loaded they bend in the middle and in some conditions it causes it to pop out of the roof fixing and fall off.

As a paddler I am of the opinion if you are going to use your rood for boats you need roof rails so you can fix the roof bars at an appropriate distance appart for the load you are carying. So closer together for short playboats and further apart for river/sea/marthon boats etc.

Which means getting an Estate/tourer with rails. But I like tourers, more room for poeple and kit.

As to jordies point Im not sure about the possibility of the new avensis T27 having traditonal rails that run the length of the car. You would have to check it with a dealer. But im fairly sure it cant. Which is a shame as the new model is growing on me, I love the heated seats and panoramic roof but I wouldnt trade up my T25 for a T27 purely based on the lack of roof rails.

Hi Caveman Si, i'm glad i'm not the only one that has lost the boats of a roof! I wouldn't minded if I hadn't strapped them on properly but I think I did so too tight and made more stress on the bars.

I agree the tourers are lovely cars, shame I couldn't have found one for my budget with the miles thats on this Avensis. I did put a deposit down for a Renault Laguna Tourer BUT Toyota seem much more reliable. I have to say, off subject a little that the Avensis is one of the nicest cars i've driven. I'm only 27 and from the outside people see it as a old mans car BUT they get in and their opinion totally changes!

SYOTW Si

You can get a Roof Rack for the Tourer, but not roof rails

A_08b43a4.jpg

Picture shown is the style of rack, but I dont have a picture of it on the Tourer

Kingo :thumbsup:

You can get a roof rack for the Tourer, but not roof rails

A_08b43a4.jpg

Picture shown is the style of rack, but I dont have a picture of it on the Tourer

Kingo :thumbsup:

Cheers Kingo I feared that was the case.

I can't find any pictures of the Tourer roof bars but here is a link for the installation instructions. It suggests a maximum speed of 120km/h

hhttp://www.toyota-tech.eu/legacy/Toy/aimuploads/%7BAE994A58-4A9E-6B70-6C17-4064D1E94A9E%7D/PZ403-T6611-GA%20Roofrack%20Avensis%20WGN%20.pdf

Hi,

I've got and frequently used the Roof Rack on my tourer and whilst i was concerned about the spacing they have worked extremely well with my fully loaded roof box (Thule Polar 200). As expected when fitted thay increase the wind noise a little but nothing that would cause me to remove them when not in use. If you intend to get and use the rails i would suggest that you are very carefull when removing the plastic cappings to the "bolt points" as the clips on them are extremely fragile and can distort or even break off. I am fairly sure that these are not very expensive (Part-King) to replace and would suggest that if you buy the rack you should buy a couple of spare caps. Also the bolt points are made from aluminium and are subject to corrosion, mine at 8000 miles were corroded to an extent that they needed re-tapping and would recommend that these are checked frequentely and protected with grease or similar. By comparison to other branded roof bars that i have used on other cars the Toyota rack is a strudy piece of kit with one of the most secure fixing methods i have seen. I would doubt that a Kayak on the rackwould be able to pull the rack off the roof!

By comparison to other branded roof bars that i have used on other cars the Toyota rack is a strudy piece of kit with one of the most secure fixing methods i have seen. I would doubt that a Kayak on the rackwould be able to pull the rack off the roof!

I'm sure you'll find that the Toyota bars are made by Thule, as are the tow bars.

I already had a set of Thule Aero bar and various different foot packs, but found somewhere on net that sold the aero bars, feet pack and adapters for a shockingly cheap £130.

But to agree with Mstock3 once fitted I couldn't imagine them ever falling off.

I went to Scotland few weeks ago with 4 mountain bikes on roof and they didn't budge one little bit.

I suspect the very reason the fix points are where they are are to prevent people carrying long roof loads and damaging the fix points or the car.

Thanks to everone who has contributed, very reassuring.

I still think the roof rails as previously fitted to avesis estates are better, but obviously still need bars too, I just think for large estate cars the option to add extra bars is better.

Still delighted with the car though.

• 1 year later...

The placement on the two small flaps on the roof of the Touring model would suggest that rails are available to add retroactively, if anyone has any luck let me know as I want a pair.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I can not understand why Toyota dont supply these. Had them on my 2004 tourer and assumed they would be available on my 2010 tourer.

The new rack - just fitted - is good value but huge, ugly and the wind noise is horrific above 50mph. Also looks like I will have to buy new cross bars and bike racks!!!! My local Toyota dealer seemed ill equipped to answer the question so thanks Kingo

That said the car is leaps and bounds ahead of my old one - really good value and much more comfortable on a long journey. Pondering the warranty option - what have you done? Also a bit disappointed with the mpg so far compared to the old one - but that may the cold weather and fact the car has electric everyting.

• 8 months later...

The placement on the two small flaps on the roof of the Touring model would suggest that rails are available to add retroactively, if anyone has any luck let me know as I want a pair.

I'm a confused new member, so please forgive any etiquette mistakes.

I collected my new (to me)2009 tourer today. Top motor!

If I can only fix two narrowly-spaced bars to the roof, why are there four additional small pop-out caps on the recessed roof rails?

Be gentle with me.

• 3 months later...

Onewave - I asked the dealer this question as I too have those 4 flaps and they shrugged their shoulders. Looks like they were going to fit them then changed their minds about it. Idiots.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links