Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Air Recirculation Button

bokkie

Has anyone else noticed this and if they have can they tell me how to stop it automatically enabling itself? What happens is that we drive with it set to take air in from outside, basically normal operation. Eight times out ten when we get back to the car and start the engine the button setting air recirculation seems to activate itself. It's just a minor irritation but I can't find any reason why it does that. Any ideas?

That's a default setting as in Japan there is more air pollution from cars so drivers there tend to re-circulate rather than suck in exhaust fumes thumbsup.gif

It's correct that it's default but has nothing to do with air polution because after a while (when the temperature of the cabin is cooler/hotter) it automaticly changes.

The correct answer should therefore be: to help getting the temperature be as set as soon as possible.

Thank you for playing. :thumbsup:

I stand by my earlier statement... as that's a slightly different setting to those in Japan... :P :lol:

Both suggestions seem quite valid. Of course, if I !Removed! in the car my wife is very fast at turning it off and opening the windows.

I stand by my earlier statement... as that's a slightly different setting to those in Japan... :P :lol:

No is's normal setting and your statement is wrong............(it's in the manual i belive as well but your dealer knows)

Again:

Factory setting is automatic on and the ONLY reason is that the temperature inside the car is reached as soon as possible (low volume is quicker hot/cold then large volume)

Absolutely nothing to do with pollution whatsoever and absolutely same setting as in Japan.

No is's normal setting and your statement is wrong............(it's in the manual i belive as well but your dealer knows)

Again:

Factory setting is automatic on and the ONLY reason is that the temperature inside the car is reached as soon as possible (low volume is quicker hot/cold then large volume)

Absolutely nothing to do with pollution whatsoever and absolutely same setting as in Japan.

No offence Macabeus, but you are a !Removed! ******.

Do you do it on purpose, or are you just a natural? :blink:

Well I don't know about any other model but my Avensis does exactly the same thing.... frankly I find it slightly annoying :angry:

My car is due for it's first service next month so I'll be asking if the default setting can be changed :huh:

I find the whole climate control thing a bit of a pain to be honest. :rolleyes:

I just tend to do it manually using the fan and temp buttons.

I thought if you turn the temp down (to low) on the dial and switch the fan on it will draw air from outside(top right hand light comes on) turn the temp dial back up and it will recirculate the air in the car (top right hand light goes out) and not draw fresh air from outside? This works with or without the air con on or off

No is's normal setting and your statement is wrong............(it's in the manual i believe as well but your dealer knows)

Again:

No offence Macabeus, but you are a !Removed! ******.

Do you do it on purpose, or are you just a natural? :blink:

Please elaborate instead of making childisch remarks which every !Removed! ****** can make.

I know: superiority is sometimes a curse in the eyes of the less gifted people.

As i said earlier (in response to the question made by bokkie) i answer his question: No is's normal setting and your statement is wrong............(it's in the manual i believe as well but your dealer knows)

Again:

When the set temperature is reached it will automaticly switch to fresh air.

If you don't like an honest answer then go **** :censor: ******** or whatever turns you on........see if i care :yawn:

I thought if you turn the temp down (to low) on the dial and switch the fan on it will draw air from outside(top right hand light comes on) turn the temp dial back up and it will recirculate the air in the car (top right hand light goes out) and not draw fresh air from outside? This works with or without the air con on or off

Quit ok but if the light comes on it recirculates and when it's out it draws fresh air from outside. But you get the idea. :thumbsup:

• 2 years later...

Hi, sorry for re-opening and older post, but I have a similar (opposite actually) problem.

Simply put, I want to make recirculation a permanent thing. Yet every time I turn the engine on, recirculation is reset to "automatic mode". In winter this means recirculation turned off (or automatically switched off as soon as the temperature outside drops down to 5° Celsius). Each time, one manual intervention is necessary to override the automatic mode to manual mode.

Can this default reset to automatic mode behaviour be changed by the dealer or service room? I tried to call the dealer and asked about it, but the guy was no help. Either didn't know or didn't want to tell for some reason, perhaps a new guy.

See my full elaborate description at http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=144375

Thank you for any help! :doctor:

• 6 years later...

Those of you that find this a problem, are used to the slider controls on a Ford Cortina. Let Technology take control and leave it on auto.

I have had my 59 plate iQ3 from new and this feature had me baffled to begin with. In the end I figured it out myself and decided it was quite clever. It switches the recycling on on a hot day and keeps it on until the cabin air temperature gets close to the temperature set on the thermostat. It does that because it can get the temperature down quicker. I just leave the climate control on auto and temperature at 22 and it always seems to sort things out just fine - the fan is full on and very noisy for a while but once the temperature gets down it just idles. In a way the climate control is even cleverer when it is cold outside. To start with the fan is slow since it is clever enough to know the radiator is cold and there is no point being fast, then once the radiator warms up it comes on fast to get the car up to 22 and after that goes back to idling to keep the temperature at 22. The system appears to have temperature sensors in three different places because it automatically adjusts whether heat goes to the feet, body or windscreen or any combination of those three.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2010 at 3:56 PM, macabeus said:

Again:

There are quite a few models of cars that do this, even the older Rover 75 did it, just let it do its "thing', it is trying to get the temp down for you as quick as possible, perfectly normal......

Easier to cool down cool air than the hot air from outside.