Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Intermittent Power Steering Failure

mibvas

Dear MR2/MR-S owners,

I have been having intermittent Power Steering failure on my 2003 MR-2 as far back as the last 6 months.

Initially when it surfaced about 6 months ago, i am able to resolve the problem by switching off the car and then restarting ignition and the problem will dissappear.

After that it happened a couple of times more but I was able to resole it in the same manner. There was no consistency in this loss of power steering.

I did not have any further occurances until a couple of weeks ago when after staring the car after it was parked uncovered in an open parking area after torrential rain. I checked the pump and surrounding components and there has not been any contact with water.

After a prolonged period under hot dry weather, a restart of the car and the alarm is gone and i have power back on the steering.

This has happened more frequently now everytime the car gets wet including after a car wash using the power jet wash hoses to wash the car. Again the problem is resolved/gone after half an hour later when the car is completely dry and or in dry weather.

Is there a cable or sensor that is sensitive to water maybe causing the problem? I not able to dignose the car here in Malaysia but cannot see any problems with the power steering pump/ecu and have also always ensured that the fluid has changed and or never short in supply.

Can someone help me trouble shoot this problem? It is really annoying when i lose power steering and need to resolve this as soon as possible. Thank you.

Hi and welcome to the club :thumbsup:

Try tracing the electrical connections into the pump and as far back as you can to check the joints and wiring for damage, it does sound like a wet short more than pump failure.

Les

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links