Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Changed The Plugs, Maf Sensor And Blow Me If Feels Like A New Car!

nrgizerbunny

WOW, what a difference. I'm now getting 430miles on a tank, whereas previously i was getting 320-340. + power difference is massive!

My plugs didn't look that bad although the car was running rich so god knows what damage it had done to it.

Maf Sensor, what does this look like?

I changed my IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) bcos my throttle kept on going up and down, Garhan saw wot it was like. Eva since ive changed it ive been able to get 310 mile a tank :-) a lot betta than bfor wen i was averaging about 280-290 a tank

I changed my IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) bcos my throttle kept on going up and down, Garhan saw wot it was like. Eva since ive changed it ive been able to get 310 mile a tank :-) a lot betta than bfor wen i was averaging about 280-290 a tank

WHOS GARHAN! rolleyes.gif LOL

glad your iacv is sorted bro,

sanj blimey thats a big leap on the MPG, I changed my spark plugs out at 30k i was curious to see what was in there first. Got a good deal on Opie Oils and decided to change over. Mind you the denso's helped alot i feel.

Also changed my maf at the same time, was trying to figure out an electrical fault due to the camcon which had a short in A/F wire. Caused all sorts of problems, changed the maf and still had trouble so had to dig deeper and sort out the camcon.

Glad yours is up and running again thumbsup.gif

WHOS GARHAN! rolleyes.gif LOL

glad your iacv is sorted bro,

sanj blimey thats a big leap on the MPG, I changed my spark plugs out at 30k i was curious to see what was in there first. Got a good deal on Opie Oils and decided to change over. Mind you the denso's helped alot i feel.

Also changed my maf at the same time, was trying to figure out an electrical fault due to the camcon which had a short in A/F wire. Caused all sorts of problems, changed the maf and still had trouble so had to dig deeper and sort out the camcon.

Glad yours is up and running again thumbsup.gif

LOL, OOPPS, accidently hit G instead of F. I mean Farhan

MAF is mass air flow.

my car had cack fuel consumption for a while so I took the plugs out and noticed there was some liquid "tar" on them. I then figured it was running rich. Changed the MAF sensor, originally to an eBay one and then a toyota oE one. Don't buy the eBay pattern part ones, waste of time and gives grief.

I noticed better fuel consumption. then i changed the plugs and it got better still. Plugs were changed at 35k.

MAF is mass air flow.

my car had cack fuel consumption for a while so I took the plugs out and noticed there was some liquid "tar" on them. I then figured it was running rich. Changed the MAF sensor, originally to an ebay one and then a toyota oE one. Don't buy the ebay pattern part ones, waste of time and gives grief.

I noticed better fuel consumption. then i changed the plugs and it got better still. Plugs were changed at 35k.

As I asked above what does the maf sensor look like? ok change it but what is it?

MAF sensors look like grey arrows with a little ball tip. They measure the air-flow and report back to the ECU which then adjusts the AFR accordingly. If the flow is cack then more fuel is whacked in. If the sensor is blocked and filthy then you get a false reading saying their is less air in the cylinder than there actually is. The ECU then pumps in more fuel to compensate hence the poo MPG.

Correct me if I am wrong. :) I also think it is known as an 02 sensor which is practically the same thing...

here's a pic, kparris pretty much summed it up.

My problem was the lack of engine lights to tell me somethign was wrong and no indicated code warnings. Only way I found out was when I took the plugs out to have a look. I think the issue comes from the panel filter I had last time round which had that K and N fluid in it, i suspect that got onto the temp sensor of the maf sensor and fouled it. I never had any problems until the filter change.

QM732.jpg

here's a pic, kparris pretty much summed it up.

My problem was the lack of engine lights to tell me somethign was wrong and no indicated code warnings. Only way I found out was when I took the plugs out to have a look. I think the issue comes from the panel filter I had last time round which had that K and N fluid in it, i suspect that got onto the temp sensor of the maf sensor and fouled it. I never had any problems until the filter change.

QM732.jpg

Ah! right took this thing out the other day to have a look at it and it had dirt stuck on one side so gave it a wipe with a q tip, took it out for a look as I changed the air filter and the filter was black and as this sensor if after the filter thought it might be crapped up.

Would changing this black filter make any difference to the mpg?

And would just wiping this sensor as it was dirty make any difference.

Gave my car a damn good service this week followed your oil for the gearbox tut, got to admit the hose trick is masterful, but could only get 2L oil in on the flat, not 2.3L

By cleaning the sensor itself yes you will get better MPG.

Replacing that black filter makes sure that gunk doesn't get sucked into you cylinders, but I don't think it directly returns better MPG, it does however allow cleaner air through which gives the MAF a better more accurate reading.

yep changing the air filter will make a difference. I've gone right off anything that uses oil now. whilst it may give you better air flow initially, i think the filtration is not as good.

how many miles are you getting? I've heard of people getting around 280miles per tank on here and even with my caked sensor I could get that.

Edited by nrgizerbunny

yep changing the air filter will make a difference. I've gone right off anything that uses oil now. whilst it may give you better air flow initially, i think the filtration is not as good.

how many miles are you getting? I've heard of people getting around 280mpg on here and even with my caked sensor I could get that.

280 mpg? miles per tank surely? ;) I could do with 280mpg, since I'm a trucker, I could retire in about 2 years!

MAF sensors look like grey arrows with a little ball tip. They measure the air-flow and report back to the ECU which then adjusts the AFR accordingly. If the flow is cack then more fuel is whacked in. If the sensor is blocked and filthy then you get a false reading saying their is less air in the cylinder than there actually is. The ECU then pumps in more fuel to compensate hence the ******* MPG.

Correct me if I am wrong. :) I also think it is known as an 02 sensor which is practically the same thing...

like you say the maf air sensor measures the quantity of air being pulled into the engine then in relation to the coolant sensor telling the ecu how hot the engine is it calculates how much fuel it requires .the o2 sensor then measures the amount of oxygen in the exhaust after the air fuel mixture has burnt to see that its all burning correctly then if not a slight re adjustment from the ecu can be made to get it all just right and this cycle goes all repeatadly all the time adjusting to the driving conditions etc

MAF sensors look like grey arrows with a little ball tip. They measure the air-flow and report back to the ECU which then adjusts the AFR accordingly. If the flow is cack then more fuel is whacked in. If the sensor is blocked and filthy then you get a false reading saying their is less air in the cylinder than there actually is. The ECU then pumps in more fuel to compensate hence the ******* MPG.

like you say the maf air sensor measures the quantity of air being pulled into the engine then in relation to the coolant sensor telling the ecu how hot the engine is it calculates how much fuel it requires .the o2 sensor then measures the amount of oxygen in the exhaust after the air fuel mixture has burnt to see that its all burning correctly then if not a slight re adjustment from the ecu can be made to get it all just right and this cycle goes all repeatadly all the time adjusting to the driving conditions etc

To put this into moderately technial terms, The density of air is a function of temperature. cooler it is, the more dense.

The speed or Volumetric flow rate can be measured by measuring the pressure drop across two reference points.

The MAF sensor uses the air density and the pressure drop to work out the mass of air going into the engine, then adjusts the fuel accordingly. The O2 sensor is on the exhaust and measures how much residual oxygen there is left, then tweaks the ignition and fuel dosage accordingly.

Anyone got a guide for changing the MAF sensor? Or a picture of the engine bay showing where the B****r is

It just sits on top of the filter piping and is held in with two screws. Undo those and lift it out, disconnect the wires (just a normal male/female plug) and clip the new one in.

Put the new sensor back making sure the plug is properly connected, and put those screws back and you're done! :)

I know this isn't the stock panel filter and piping but to illustrate what KP has described, it is good enough :)

pipe01.jpg

How much are the MAFs?

With my previous cars (mostly VAG) they cos a fortune! I keep mine clean using isopropyl alcohol, brings them up like new! The first time i took my MAF out the sensor was caked in black dirt, cleaned it up and the car pulled much better and MPG went up.

IMHO cleaning the MAF is essential when you're running an after-market induction kit since the oil they use to trap dirt coats the sensor and blunts performance. The thing with MAF sensors is that they can be very very poorly and not throw a code until they have completely stopped functioning. I'd say your best off cleaning once a year/10,000miles to keep it sweet!

Maf was £130,

I agree with what dailey said. I'm going to do it on a regular basis.

Hmmmm my mpg has gne through the roof lately, seems like its drinking petrol at the moment. Will give it a clean to see the results :D