Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil Consumption

Sergiu81

Hi all,

I think I have a bit of a problem with my Auris 1.4 D4D (2007).

Let me be more specific: After driving 13.000 km my led indicator of "low oil level" displayed.

So, I've made my first revision after 1 year (at aprox 10.000 km) when, of course, my engine oil was changed.

Now (after one year more), at 23.000 km, this warning appears.

I have put 1 litre of oil, and now my oil level is at the halfway (between min and max) on that dipstick (the message disappears).

So, I think that the consumption (or maybe a leak) was of 1 litre or more... I don't know for sure if I am right or not.

Anyway, my real question is that had anyone of you confronted with this situation?

Is this normal? I know that in manual says that the oil consumption could be at most one litre at 1.000 km, but, still, I don't think that this happens very often.

I mention that I don't practice sporty driving, so I treat her gentle, so to speak :).

Thanks in advance!

I Have 2.0 D4D and that does about 5000 mls to a litre of oil all the previous toyotas I have were petrol and didnt need topping up between services It seems the diesels do use oil

Mine never does. It appears to be pot luck.

I have put 1 litre of oil, and now my oil level is at the halfway (between min and max) on that dipstick (the message disappears).

First and above all you should check you oil level regularly and NEVER allow the light to come on. You have diesel so it takes oil. It appears the loss is about 1.5 litter every 10k km which can be considered normal. When lights go on it means the pressure is to low and you engine runs without sufficient lubrication, overheats and takes even more oil.

My SR180 has never touched a drop, but I only do around 6K Miles a year.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I went for the yearly revision (after 2 years) and they said that it's normal that it used aprox 1 litre per 10.000 km (what else could have said?).

Some of you experienced the same, others don't.

It seems to me that I'm not of the lucky ones, but I'm a pot luck (like someone said).

Anyway, I'll be more careful with it, meaning to check regularly the oil level and watch the evolution of the oil consumption.

Thank you all for the feedback!

It should consume more now in the beginning but in my case light never came on and I never had to add oil. I also check the oil around 7500 km if its at level or not. In any case you should change oil after 1 year even if u dont make the necessary 15 000 km. This has nothing to do with the subject but for the amount of kms you are doing a gasoline engine could have payed off depending of the country where u're at. Here in Portugal for example might not pay off much now since the difference between diesel and gasoline fuel has been increasing but if the prices are almost the same making 10 000 km per yeat is nothing and a gasoline engine would have been better.