Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Typhoon Kit

talboy

Hi all,

I am intereested in buying one of these as a lot of t sports i have seen on here and the net seems to have an induction kit installed, I have never modded a car before so i have no idea where to start...

I know that the kit will add noise but will it make me sound like a chav driving a nova or something or is the soudn a little more refined on the t sport?

Will i notice any difference in driving at all?

Can i fit the kit myself?

Is it safe to buy a used one?

Is the typhoon ther best to get bearing in mind i want to fit it myself?

Does anyone have any guides to fitting it to a t sport?

Sorry for all the questions, i have tried a google search on fitting but cant really find much....

And finally does anyone have one they want to sell to me?

Thanks all!!

I know that the kit will add noise but will it make me sound like a chav driving a nova or something or is the sound a little more refined on the t sport?

The sound isn't particularly invasive when driving "normally" however it lets out a great sound when you are revving high. So if you drive through a village at sub 30, no one will give you a second look.

Will i notice any difference in driving at all?

I immediately noticed I was revving much higher for longer periods of driving as the sound it makes is infectious. In terms of performance, I am a big fan of 1/4 mile runs, so any changes to my car are pretty easy to quantify from that respect. Fitting the typhoon dropped my fastest time by 0.25 secs or thereabouts, so it made a significant impact (relative to 1/4 miles of course). But general pickup on the engine has definitely improved.

Can i fit the kit myself?

Yes it is very easy to fit but I would strongly suggest either buying a MAF cable extender or getting some spare wire and a soldering iron and extending them yourself. The typhoon fitment will stretch the MAF cables and some people have managed to snap them at the base of the MAF plug which becomes a ballache to repair.

Is it safe to buy a used one?

Yes it is perfectly safe. ricc got a 2nd hand one and it made a big improvement in his 1/4 mile times as well.

Is the typhoon ther best to get bearing in mind i want to fit it myself?

If you aren't afraid of a soldering iron then I would say yes. Simply because it replaces the terrible stock pipe (with 2 near 90degree bends in it) with an aluminium pipe. Not too many other cone filters out there do that. However the MAF cable stretching can be a big issue for people, so if you aren't comfortable about extending the wires, either ask someone who is (there is a local help section at the top of the corolla forum with people willing to help out other members) or go for something that uses the stock piping and then you have no worries about snapping the wires.

Does anyone have any guides to fitting it to a t sport?

You should be able to download the instructions directly from the K&N website. I don't have a link handy right now, but should be easy to find.

And finally does anyone have one they want to sell to me?

I don't, no :P

Marc, thats really helpful, aswered all questions pretty comprehensively, i dont tend to drive aggressively unless i have a wide open road with not many other people around so driving at 30 mph and no noticeable sound diff for me is a bonus...

In terms of the maf sensor is it a common problem that it needs extending or is it only some people who have encountered this issue?

Are the typhhon kist tyhe same for the face lift and pre face lift?

there are two used ones for sale on eBay, one has a red hose and says fits 05 but the other has a silver hose but doesnt say model or which year it came off....

again thyanks for your help its really appreciated....

Are the typhhon kist tyhe same for the face lift and pre face lift?

AFAIK Yes.

there are two used ones for sale on ebay, one has a red hose and says fits 05 but the other has a silver hose but doesnt say model or which year it came off....

Both are the same, sort of. They're literally just different colours, they will both fit FL and PFL.

this one seems cheap... just messaged to see if he has all the fitments etc....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170477996682&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

then theres the red one...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320520162384&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

both look the same to be fair except the red is in much better nick...

Don't get me wrong on this, you will notice a sound difference at any speed and even at idle with a typhoon, but when driving sensibly and not revving hard, people won't stop and stare or compare to to a chav.

My MAF sensor had some slack on it but I have seen the amount of movement in the engine when you blip the accellerator and I wasn't comfortable leaving it. You can actually buy an extender from Toyota which I think cost about £17 and that makes the job very easy.

Yes they are exactly the same but what you do with all of the hoses is slightly different. Red or Silver makes no difference though.

It sounds fantastic upon cold start, makes a loverly sucking noise.

I didn't know that there was a MAF extender though, I may need to invest in one if I have any problems with it, but by the looks of things RichyMK did a bloody good job of fitting it when he had it...

i might give it a go, been reading that it doesnt work unless the air in the bonnet is cold?? doy ou guys hasve intake pipes to go with it to get cold air in the bonnet?

No problems what so ever. Heat soak isn't particularly a massive issue. I don't run any piping for cold air, in fact I have removed the stock piping as I think that no piping is less restrictive than the stupid thing Toyota put in the car initially.

im thinkin bout getting a panel filter for my cts ... can any1 rekomend any that they have used? much dif. in sound or performance? cheers.

Does anyone know where i can buya used induction kit for the t sport i missed the two eBay ones i posted but dont want to spend 200 quid on the kit...

ANyone know of websites that sell used stuff or does anyone on here have a kit they wish to sell doesnt have to be a typhoon i guess just a decent one will do....

I would just keep an eye on eBay mate. I've seen about 5 on there in the last month or so, and managed to grab one for £80. I'm sure there will be more eventually.

im thinkin bout getting a panel filter for my cts ... can any1 rekomend any that they have used? much dif. in sound or performance? cheers.

I have used a K&N Panel-Filter on my AE92 and it made a slightly more growling induction noise and very slight difference in engine response. But I think that was purely down to the fact it was clean and the old one was clogged! :lol:

Your best bet for any chance of performance gains would be to get a kit like the Typhoon. Panel filters aren't the main problem, as mentioned it's how ridiculously restrictive the old system is. My old air feed had a box with no holes in it... :eek: No wonder why she was running lean...