Do Not Sell My Personal Information

180sx Vs Mr2

Mister2

alright.. so my friend jus recently bought a NISSAN 180 sx (240 fastback) and now he thinks he's tough sh :censor: t trying to race people... anyways.. he thinks he could "whoop" me if i gave him a 2 second headstart. Im gonna be boostin 15psi... also.. he doesnt knoe how to launch and his tires grip for crap.. he has a 91 so i think it has the dohc ka24de in it.. whut do u guys think the outcome would be?

could "whoop" me if i gave him a 2 second headstart

How is that a "whooping" .. My mate in a Mondeo could "Whoop" me if I cave him a week ..

could "whoop" me if i gave him a 2 second headstart

How is that a "whooping" .. My mate in a Mondeo could "Whoop" me if I cave him a week ..

thats some mondeo! :o :blink:

thats some mondeo!  

And we are only doing 0-60's .. but it'd be close :thumbsup:

then again.. ive seen old ST24's dirt cheap!.. so with a little bit of monies put in.. you got a very powerful car...

a 180sx hits 60 in 6.8, and mr2 5.7, the 180 sx hits 135mph, the mr2 158 (if delimited). the 180 sx 168bhp the mr2 220bhp. he's easy meat

my mates got a 200sx and they are lively bits of kit you need to drive round with bags of cement in the boot to try and get some grip

A friend of mine has a 240sx and neither of us have turbo but he has a few bolt ons and i blew him away. I had at least a car length on him and was still pullin. But we are both gettin engine swaps later in the year and he is already talkin crap bout how he will kill me when we do. I would love to throw some more rocks at his windsheild. :P

You'll whip his bottom, if you're boosting around 15psi, you're looking at (conservatively) say 240 - 250 bhp (I'm presuming you're running a first gen 3SGTE)> I think the 180sx is around 205bhp stock (not too sure about these cars, there seems to be quite a lot of conflicting data) but is Screech recons 6.8 0 - 60, the MR2 should be hitting at least 5.5 at 15psi, so on paper at least you should be a clear winner plus if as you say he's crap at launching the thing then.... Job done I think :)

a 180 sx is only 168bhp as it's 1.8, the 200sx is 2.0 and 197bhp. the 2litre jobbies have a 0-60 of over 7secs (manufactureres figures). personally i think the acceleration figures of the 180sx are exaggerated whereas the 200sx are way below what they can perform, if it was the 2 litre one i'd be a bit worried as once moving they can be !Removed! quick, but the 1.8 wouldn't bother me unless he'd had a couple k's spent on tuning it

the 180sx in japan runs the SR20det which is about 200bhp i used to have the 200sx 1.8 turbo with ND 230 bhp converstion my standard MR2 would kick its ***** hands down

15psi? Any reason you don't turn it up more? I've been told a 3SGTE can live on as much as 30psi daily driven.

I am the friend of m-town and drive a 240 and want to tell you all what you don't know. the mr2 will take the 180 off the line cause of the weight of the engine. but the stock sr20 pushes out 240-250 hp at the wheels...not 205....thats only at minimum boost(7 psi) so if your gonna give ur buddy a 2 second head start he will eat you for dinner. if u race streight up i still think the 180 will take you but it will be a close race..but if i had to put money on it i would give the edge to the nissan!!

it also depends on the mods on the 180...i didnt get to read all the mods done to your mr2....but the 180 has a SR20DET engine that can boost at 12-13 psi at max efficiency. thats where the 240-250 hp comes from. but if he cant grip or launch then u probably have the edge.

hmm.. okae.. i guess that me calling it a 180 is gettin people confused... uhh.. it is actually a 240 fastback... but i dunnoe.. i jes call it a 180 cuz it looks like one.... so it doesnt have and sr20det in it... it comes with the motor america decided to put in it.. which is a ka24de... its a 2.4 liter engine.. i think they use it on other NISSAN trucks.. so sorry for all the confusion.. its is NOT a real 180.. it is a 240 fastback ;)

Well haveing owned a 200sx, the mr2 will win, and the 200's fater than the 180! (200sx - 2.0L turbo 198BHP) (180sx 1.8l turbo ~170BHP)

My sx was running~250 when ian_m's mr2 was near standard, and in a streight line they were identical apart from gear changes, if i still had it now he's de-catted he would win. Also sx's can't launch for toffee, best 0-60 i got from mine was 5.78sec.

Not sure about the US spec 240's but a standard uk one wont be much competition to a tubby mr2, especially if filldled with....

I'd dearly love to say the hundy would win cos i love em to bits, but they are a bit of a barge.... although an S14 might have the upper hand top end, not sure.

Well haveing owned a 200sx, the mr2 will win, and the 200's fater than the 180! (200sx - 2.0L turbo 198BHP) (180sx 1.8l turbo ~170BHP)

My sx was running~250 when ian_m's mr2 was near standard, and in a streight line they were identical apart from gear changes, if i still had it now he's de-catted he would win.  Also sx's can't launch for toffee, best 0-60 i got from mine was 5.78sec.

Not sure about the US spec 240's but a standard uk one wont be much competition to a tubby mr2, especially if filldled with....

I'd dearly love to say the hundy would win cos i love em to bits, but they are a bit of a barge.... although an S14 might have the upper hand top end, not sure.

My cousin has owned both the MR2 Tubby.. and then after he smashed that into a sand stone wall he bought himself a really nice S14...

I have to say that you are damn right when saying that its a !Removed! huge thing... Considering its length.. there aint no space in the back at all and is aimed for the american market..

Very rapid on the M-ways.. thats where its at its best.. the MR2 Tubby would kill it hands down in a straight line..

I almost got a s14/200sx instead of the tubby .. drove like a tank, got back in my Rev1 NA and it felt SO much nicer ..

kinda same here, was gonan get the S14 initally, but fell in love w. the 2 when i saw it. Really did want to be a drift slag but i guess i'm a poser at heart ;)

-Z

Mr2 will win no worries. S15 is the one ya gotta watch out for, there pretty nice....seen near stock ones pull mid-high 13's at the drags....great competition for the Gen III's....like the gts't skylines though, hard to get decent grip.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

I was also going to go for a rev2 s14 (the facelift model with diff front lamp design). A while back I mentioned a 200sx at 260bhp (uprated fuel pump, Trust i'cooler, boost cntrl and other bits an bats, nice an clean @ 32k miles) owned by a m8 of mine. I was intesrested in how my current tuning stage would compare. We never got to race. After a quick shot in mine he simply stated the mr2 is faster and theres no point. Theres just so much more torque right up to the redline. The 260bhp s14 did not have the torque even tho boost level was running at 1 bar.

The s15 is an amazing looking car. Very similar performance wise to rev3+ with 240-250bhp and 5.4 sec 0-60. kick *****.

• 5 years later...

i see a lot of people putting up incorrect information in this thread, the 180sx has the ca20det 2.0 turbo and the 200sx has the ca18det 1.8 turbo, some of you are putting this the wrong way around, my mate has a 180sx running a mines ecu hks stutter valve hks air filter and full hks 3" exhaust back to a 5"/6" bacbox, stock they have 230bhp

i see a lot of people putting up incorrect information in this thread, the 180sx has the ca20det 2.0 turbo and the 200sx has the ca18det 1.8 turbo, some of you are putting this the wrong way around, my mate has a 180sx running a mines ecu hks stutter valve hks air filter and full hks 3" exhaust back to a 5"/6" bacbox, stock they have 230bhp

If you read the thread you'd notice ..

a. people have pointed the engine sizes out.

b. the thread is well over 5 years old.

:rolleyes: