Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Remote Central Locking No Longer Working

Reprobate

Hi all.

I rescued a 5dr RAV 4.1 from a small farm a couple of months back and although I'm not 100% sure whether to keep it (poor fuel economy) I've started to clean it up and work my way through some of it's 'issues'.

I'll probably become something of a regular on here, asking question after question so I apologise in advance if I become a burden.

So, issue number one...

When I first got the RAV, the Remote Central Locking worked perfectly. One day, I pressed the button on the keyfob to lock it and nothing happened. The LED on the fob lit up but that's it. Since then, I've had to put the key in the door to lock and unlock them.

Naturally I tried changing the Battery but that made no difference. I've just had a quick browse through these topics and someone else had the same issue. It was suggested that they should re-sync it by pressing the 2 buttons together. I just popped outside and tried this but it didn't do anything.

Any ideas?

Never mind! Sorted it now. I rummaged deeper and found another thread on here with a solution. I opened the keyfob which disconnected the Battery, held the lock button for 2 seconds, released it, pressed it once more then reassembled the fob. It worked fine after that.

I'll be back later with my next question! lol

Well glad you sorted that out welcome from me :) When you say rescued from a farm what sort of state was it in ?

Well glad you sorted that out welcome from me :) When you say rescued from a farm what sort of state was it in ?

the farm was a glorified dump... or did you mean the car lol !

Well done on rescuing the Rav 4.1 (more the merrier! :) ) If I remember when I changed my fob button Battery cell I had to press both buttons for at least twelve seconds to re-sync the alarm to the fob... I don't think a 'quick' press will do it!

Anyhow... glad to hear you have resolved it by discharging the fob circuit.

There is a wealth of 4.1 knowledge on this forum mainly headed up by Bothy... he liked em so much he bought two :rolleyes: Folks say that he has an F1 engine powering one of them! :eek:

Keep us posted on your progress... possibly some pics.

DaveH

The exterior is fairly tidy with one slight crease along the rear quarter that's exposing rust and a few other chips and dints here and there, nothing excessive for a car of that age.

As for the interior, I'd never seen such a mess. When I opened the door, the first thing to hit me was an overpowering smell of fuel. It had been used for carting stuff around the farm for the last couple of years and for at least a month had been stood still, locked up with the back full of logs covered in creosote. I'm told a can of petrol had also been spilt in the back at some point. I wish I'd taken pictures of it now. The whole interior was like a patch of woodland, completely covered in dirt and woodchip. Every little crack was filled with bark.

I've spent a lot of time cleaning it out now and most of the interior is actually in pretty good condition. I had to rip out the boot carpet and throw it though, it had been soaked in oil / petrol for too long and was beyond hope. I spent ages scraping out all of the sticky matting that goes underneath it, that was a rotting mess. Now the boot is just bare metal but the car finally smells nice and I'm not embarrassed to let people into it now! Just need to sort out some kind of replacement carpet.

There are a lot of jobs I want to do on the RAV but I also have to decide whether it's worth keeping as I do quite a bit of driving and the fuel costs are a problem. A problem not helped by the fact that my fuel return pipe is split and the front tyres lose pressure. I like driving it so it'll be a shame if it has to go but that's life.