Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Camshaft Position Sensor-Circuit Malfunction

Ron4345

Hi.

I would like to know how to go about checking for the circuit malfunction on my Avensis GS VVTi 1600. I have changed the Position sensor but the car still gives trouble starting and the engine management light stays on. The Battery is new and fully charged and the starter turns over perfectly well. Any help would be most welcome and thanks in advance.I have posted another topic on the same fault but since checking I need some advice on this circuit malfunction and how to go about checking it and fixing it.

another question....

How good does it run when its started ?

Did you change or modify anything before this occured ?

Do you have a multimeter ?

Ron where are you based ?

Hi cmia.

Not sure if the garage checked the timing,firstly when the car starts it runs as smooth as it always has done,in fact I went to a garage not a few minutes walk from my home a few minutes ago.He said it could also be the crankshaft sensor needs replacing along with the camshaft sensor,he also said it could be the immobiliser thinking someone is tampering with the vehicle and is not allowing it to start. Now for your next question, yes I do have a mulitmeter but not sure how to use it, and finally I live in Plumstead SE London, about two minutes from the main line railway station.

Has anything been done to the engine recently? (anything that would require the engine to be retimed for example?)

If not and based on the fact you've changed the cam sensor it could be that the back of the cam has been damaged (3 x lugs at the back the sensors pick up on) or that the chain has stretched and is causing the sensor to pick up a bad reading

Has anything been done to the engine recently? (anything that would require the engine to be retimed for example?)

If not and based on the fact you've changed the cam sensor it could be that the back of the cam has been damaged (3 x lugs at the back the sensors pick up on) or that the chain has stretched and is causing the sensor to pick up a bad reading

Nothing done to the engine at all, it was working fine till this trouble started just before Good Friday. Anyhow I will be mobile tomorrow morning as I will get my new car and this time its not a Toyota and since its brand new with a five year parts and labour cover I wont have to worry about repairs. I will just sell the Avensis for whatever I can get on it since apart from this starting trouble the car in very good nick inside and out. No dents, rust and interior is clean with no rips or stains etc. Everything else works fine so I am sure I will get something for it. But thanks to all you guys for your help. If it could be fixed cheaply then off course I will keep the car as it has nearly a years road tax, and has MOT till the end of December.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links