Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Turbo Upgrade

George Taylor

Hello.

I've just bought a Hilux Surf 2.4 on an L-plate but the turbo is leaking oil. So I was wondering while I'm replacing the turbo is there a bigger one I could use which wouldn't involve any major alterations.

Cheers George

Where is it leaking from on the turbo, also it is possible to upgrade but might be a load of hassle, most people get a bigger exhaust system and maybe a intercooler for more power.

If there's too much work putting a bigger turbo I'll probably give it a miss. I just thought I'd look into it seeing as the turbo's coming off. But as for the leak, it's leaking into the air inlet side of the turbo. any cheap suggestions second hand ones seem to be a bit scarce. Thanks for the reply.

Hello.

I've just bought a Hilux Surf 2.4 on an L-plate but the turbo is leaking oil. So I was wondering while I'm replacing the turbo is there a bigger one I could use which wouldn't involve any major alterations.

Cheers George

Hi George,

I live in the Leeds area, where about's are you? turbo's don't usualy leak oil

it comes from the breather or you've got a split turbo inlet pipe.

let me know, an' I'll have look for you.

Gman.

The pipe that's connected directly to the lid of the air box has got a split in it and is wrapped in duct tape. There's also oil leaking from the inlet manifold gasket and the throttle housing that looks similar to the picture above.

The pipe that's connected directly to the lid of the air box has got a split in it and is wrapped in duct tape. There's also oil leaking from the inlet manifold gasket and the throttle housing that looks similar to the picture above.

George,

The split pipe has some oil in it and the oil is being blown back by the fan,

and it looks like its coming from the manifold it could also be a leaking

cam cover gasket, post your addy/phone No, and I'll come and have a look for you.

Gman.

That oil leak in the above photo is caused by a build up of oil vapour from the crankcase breather.

the vapour is re-introduced into the air inlet ducting from the valve cover, and then condenses and builds up over time and eventually dribbles out at the throttle body and/or at the rubber inlet elbow on the turbo.

just remove the inlet tubing and give it a wipe out.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links