Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Rear Brake Caliper Rewind Tool

sproutdreamer

Hi

after spending some time trying to depress the piston to fit new pads I have realised that they screw back in due to the self-adjusting handbrake function...duhhh...should have bought a workshop manual! Anyway the garage service factors like Machine Mart, Snap on etc are looking at £50 minimum for this tool which I do not want to pay. Is there any source of just the one for a Toyota (all the ones I have seen have been kits with lots of sizes) at a sensible price or are there any ideas how to make one perhaps using an old socket as a basis?

now found lots of these on net but none specifically for toyota - anyone an idea about the shape of the rewind end - do not recall my cylinder ends having any holes for rewind pegs, just tapered slots at the end to take the pinon the back of the pad, about 2/3mm diameter. In order to buy a tool some idea about a make to get. My local Toyota dealers were very unhelpful and admitted that Toyota did not want to encourage DIY maintenance!

I had this problem last year when one of my rear pistons seized up. I used a Large G clamp to push the piston back in whilst using a pair of pump pliers to grip the outer part of the piston and slowly turn it. At one point just tightening the G clamp gave enough turning motion to cause the piston to revolve and go back in. My piston had similar slots on to those that you describe on yours. The job took about 1/2 an hour using this method.

good quality long nose pliers and a bit of brute force and the caliper with go back

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links