1997 Carina E 2 Liter Diesel Gear Box Problem

sammy2

Guys

my friends 1997 2 liter desil changes up the gears ok when driving

but when he changes down she wont go into 2nd

any idea what it could be

regards sam

Hello sammy

It may well be worn selectors in the box, i presume its cables which operate the gear change, might be worth looking to see if theres a bush worn on those.

• 1 year later...

Hi Sammy,

I have this problem with my 2l Turbo. What was the outcome for you? Did you get it fixed?

Ps: I'm in ireland too!!

If its not the selectors as suggested then i'm afraid it could be the second gear syncro Phosphor bronze baulk rings which slow down the gears in the box before it changes to the next gear and is always more akward changing back down than up

• 5 months later...

If its not the selectors as suggested then i'm afraid it could be the second gear syncro Phosphor bronze baulk rings which slow down the gears in the box before it changes to the next gear and is always more akward changing back down than up

My problem with my carina 2.0 turbo diesel, is that sometimes it won't go into second gear, i have to coax it in sometimes, all the other gears are fine - no problem. There is no crunching, its as if the slot does not exist, and therefore forced in to 3rd gear and punching the clutch to get the speed up.

Any ideas?