Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clutch Or Gearbox

originaldigger

Though it may be very basic question for people here, but just wanted to enquire the difference between clutch and gearbox.

For the last few weeks, sound has started coming from the engine of my Toyota Corolla 2006. and today i noticed that it has increased. Car has done 76000 Miles and in very good condition. The sound only comes when in gear. Otherwise the engine is very quiet when idle/neutral/not in gear. Even when driving, if i put my car to neutral there is no sound. Similarly when I'm in neutral and give raise (accelrate in neutral) the engine sounds normal. THe sound only comes when I'm in gear mostly when accelarting (or decelerating). The sound is chripping / grinding sound and sitting inside the car feels as if its a diesel engine car (where as its 1.6 unleaded VVTi Engine with manual transmission). My car always has been constantly serviced by main Toyota dealers till date. Last service was done 2000 miles ago, so i persume the oils etc would have been checked by the toyota dealers.

Today I got it checked by kwik-fit and they confirmed that it has to do something with gearbox and clutch. My quesion is what is the difference between a clutch and gearbox in a car with manual transmission? What is the approximate costs for a clutch to be replaced/fixed and also what is the cost for a gearbox to be replaced/fixed. Also please tell the approximate labour costs if done in UK. Which is more expensive to be done?

I hope it was a long question, but someone may find it interesting to answer. :) Thanks in advance....

Read these:

Clutch: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clutch

Gearbox: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gearbox

A Gearbox will cost more than a clutch by far, i don't know exact costs for a Rolla because i have never had to replace either (touches wood), if the gears have been crunched at anytime quite hard, this maybe a result, but as always, guesses until they are examined.

Good luck..

I've got the practically the same problem, my local garage said it was the gearbox and told me it would cost £800 to get replaced. Going to get a second opinion from another garage though as its alot to lash out :(

I've got the practically the same problem, my local garage said it was the gearbox and told me it would cost £800 to get replaced. Going to get a second opinion from another garage though as its alot to lash out :(

I get that Diesel-like noise when im trying to accelerate in a gear higher than what is needed (eg moving in 2nd gear when the wheels are barely turning). I've been told there's nothing to worry about. when did you you your gear oil change last?

Thanks everyone for your replies and they helped alot. I got my car fixed this weekend. For those who are having the similar problem, let me tell what was the problem and how much it cost me to get it fixed

The problem was with the gear box. I bought this car from a dealer and the previously it was a company car. According to the mechanic, it was being abused which lead to the gearbox problem. Mr. Clutch and Toyota gave me a quotation of over £1000 pounds. Mr clutch said they will repair the gearbox with a 12 month warranty where as toyota dealers said they will try to find a new gearbox or else find from some other similar scrapped car.

After finding and searching around found a local mechanic, who said that the noise sounds as if its a ball-bearing, and said that could be changed but recommend that I should go for a gear box from some other scrapped corolla. I bought one from a scrap yard in Manchester and paid £300 cash for a used 2nd hand gearbox. Brought it to my mechanic who took 4 hours to replace the gearbox, put new clutch plates and gear-oil and it all cost me £300(gearbox)+£70(clutch plates from euro parts) +£30 (gear oil) + £170 (labour). So I was all done in around £500.

My car now is soundless, with much more power I feel while driving... no sounds, no complaints so far. Gear feels a bit hard, but mechanic said it would be fine with some use.....

Hope it helped and was a good read!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links