Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thinking Avensis But When Are The Major Services?

MNT

Hi I am very close to buying a used Avensis 2.2 D4D - probably around a 55 or so plate.

Before I buy one though I want to know when are the 'big services'. My last car - a Volvo V50 was purchased only to discover that a major service interval was due 2k miles later. I'm keen to avoid this with the next car purchase and so I was keen to get some advice as to rough service costs after 50k, 60k etc. I understand from a Toyota sales guy the service intervals are 10k but there must be some that are more expensive than others.

If anyone has any other comments or issue to watch out for I would be very interested in hearing these as well. Having read the posts I am now aware of the head gasket issue which to be honest is now a bit of a worry.

Thanks in advance for you help

Hi I am very close to buying a used Avensis 2.2 D4D - probably around a 55 or so plate.

Before I buy one though I want to know when are the 'big services'. My last car - a Volvo V50 was purchased only to discover that a major service interval was due 2k miles later. I'm keen to avoid this with the next car purchase and so I was keen to get some advice as to rough service costs after 50k, 60k etc. I understand from a Toyota sales guy the service intervals are 10k but there must be some that are more expensive than others.

If anyone has any other comments or issue to watch out for I would be very interested in hearing these as well. Having read the posts I am now aware of the head gasket issue which to be honest is now a bit of a worry.

Thanks in advance for you help

Services are every 10k and the alternate between major and minor, so 10k is minor, 20k is major 30k minor and so on.

but have a look here: http://www.toyota-tech.eu/MaintenanceSchedules.aspx for more details on service schedules and what needs to be covered.

Your right there are two definitive services A & B the interval is 10,000k and the difference in price is substantial especially if you use Mr T ! best get your own independent garage .. ENJOY

Watch out for head gasket failure more details can be found on this forum. This could be a very mjor expense 3ks worth if you are unlucky.

Your right there are two definitive services A & B the interval is 10,000k and the difference in price is substantial especially if you use Mr T ! best get your own independent garage .. ENJOY

Do not discount Mr T so easily!. I had reason to visit recently my local dealer to buy something for mine, and as the occasion went on, it turned to how and where do i have my car serviced. I explained that i would be wary of my local Mr T doing the service, due to the probable high cost.

It would be good to use them (properly trained, and correct parts, etc), but the price!!.

I was then explained a service plan that may suit me. I could sign up for a 2 year service schedule, and pay monthly £22.75. Right now i have done that,the car will be serviced in January 2011, and January 2012. So at this moment i am paying £22.75 per month, and when January 2011, and 2012 comes, i will have my car serviced by Mr T. I never thought that i would be able to afford that. Oh by the way, They will pick up the car, and give me use of another car whilst mine is being serviced.Job done!!!. :rolleyes:

My local Mr T adds jobs on that are not required which increases the cost (in fact he tells lies)

...jobs on that are not required...

My experience is that most dealers try to rip you off if they do not know you and cannot estimate a customer's technical knowledge.

I witnessed a flagrant rip off attempt last year, when the airco in my 12 yr old Peugeot quit.

41 degrees C, and I had to visit 4 garages (dealers) before one would even look at the car.

The diagnose was that my water pump had failed, which would cost me €950 to replace.

When I told them the water pump had nothing to do with the A/C failing and opened the expansion vessel in their presence, I was given another quote without further comment.

A/C compressor, dryer, evaporator and all pipes replacement for between €2000 and 2500, and close to €3000 when sensors/electronics were found at fault.

Oh, and that water pump had to be replaced as well.

Estimated repair time: 5 days.

You're on holiday sir? Well, sh*t happens... please sign here. :censor:

Summers are hot in France, but I drove off... :crybaby:

Back home, the A/C was diagnosed to have a small high pressure pipe leaking, cost €375,-- including refill.

I told them to leave it...

A couple of months later the car broke down for another reason and was scrapped.

I had to wait 4.5 months for my T27 to be delivered. :wacko: