Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Variable Wiper Delay...

Mooly

Noticed that the variable control on the wiper column works the opposite way round to how it's marked... as your turn it "up" the delay gets shorter. The opposite of all other cars, and against the markings which are conventional.

This is on a new facelifted Auris.

Noticed that the variable control on the wiper column works the opposite way round to how it's marked... as your turn it "up" the delay gets shorter. The opposite of all other cars, and against the markings which are conventional.

On my Auris, and on my previous Corolla, the intermittant works in the same way - that is, turn the control away from you for shorter intervals between wipes and towards you for longer. Don't remember what the markings on the control are though. This is the same as on other cars we've had.

as your turn it "up" the delay gets shorter.

I think you made some sort of mistake while writing. Because as you turn it up, the delay gets longer, not shorter.

I do agree that thicker line should mean more wiping, but on Auris it means longer pauses.

I've been driving Volvo S80 and it has + on the top and - on the bottom. Top position means obviously faster wiping while - means longer pauses. That means controls work in opposite directions compared to Auris.

T%20SIGS2.jpg

Hmmm... In Speed_Chasers picture above that setting on mine gives the shortest interval... almost continually on.

Now I'm pretty sure that's the opposite of my old TSport.

I'll try and compare on my dads 1.4 Corolla when I get the chance :)

Interesting... If in 2010 Auris thick line means more wiping, seems like they've finally fixed their stupidness, as how it works on my Auris doesn't make any sense. Now if the directions are opposite between older and newer model, the only funny thing about this is that two almost same cars have totally different wiping controls :D

Hi,

I'll wait and see what our older Corolla does as mentioned.

Actually, it's not just the wiper... the one touch on the windows is "opposite" too. If the window is going down or up, it need's the opposite action on the switch to stop it compared to the TSport...

These are things that if anyone asked you, you can't just say for sure, but you just know when you use them after years of having another car that they are the opposite of what they were. If that makes any sense ;)

I think it is fine as it is.

The control determines the gap between wipes, shorter the thickness of the line, the shorter the gap between wipes?

I think it is fine as it is.

The control determines the gap between wipes, shorter the thickness of the line, the shorter the gap between wipes?

So it looks like it's been changed on the new Auris.

need to check but think mines like yours on a pre facelift sr180, wide mark= short wipe.

does seem odd :wacko:

I have a June 2009 Auris 1.4 D4D, the variable wiper control works by:

Turning up/larger bar = more frequent wiping/shorter delay

Turning down/smaller bar = less frequent wiping/longer delay

There was a minor overhaul of the Auris last year (with the 6-speed boxes across the range and the new 1.33 engine), perhaps it was changed then?

I have a June 2009 Auris 1.4 D4D, the variable wiper control works by:

Turning up/larger bar = more frequent wiping/shorter delay

Turning down/smaller bar = less frequent wiping/longer delay

There was a minor overhaul of the Auris last year (with the 6-speed boxes across the range and the new 1.33 engine), perhaps it was changed then?

That's the same as mine then, and the opposite to Speed_Chasers picture above.

It's not so much which is right and which is wrong... it's when standards change after years of doing things and marking things a particular way.

I do believe you're right :)