Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 2.0 D4D 2002, Disc Sizes

GJM

Short of taking wheels/brakes off and measuring is there anyway of knowing what brakes to buy, been checking online and there seems to be different sizes of discs, some around 275mm and other 303mm.

Also what brakes are people swearing buy, did call Toyota for a quote but that was scary...even with the offer of 20% discount! :)

• Like 1

These are the ones i put on mine a few weeks ago i've noticed a big improvement in braking well happy with them,put front and rear on discs were fine so left them.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Toyota_RAV-4_2.0_2001/p/Car-Parts/Brakes/Brake-Friction/Brake-Pads/?101824496&1&a162de83755022abec785213251052dc44b88d8e&BKPA

All the disc sizes are pinned in the service data sheets at the top of the page.

I did look there first too.....must be going blind, will check again

Looked again, nothing seems to resemble what I think I should be looking for :wacko:

When I checked what was available, the supplier came back with 275mm vented for front and 303mm solid for rear.

Opening the service sheet for CLA20/21 and seems to be a measurement for internal part of disc rather than overall and mention of a drum too.

I'm not too familiar with the RAV set up having mainly owned german cars.

Yes you are right, just machining data. You were right anyway with the sizes, I got these from the Apec catalogue;

Brake discs 4.2.pdf

I use Apec because my local stockist keeps them but any of the branded suppliers should be OK. I take it you are after pads when you say brakes?

http://www.apec-braking.co.uk/search.php?cat=friction&range=669513

Thanks for that, another supplier was giving two different measurements so got me thinking.

It needs pads for sure but the rear discs are a bit scabby so thought might just replace at the same time.

The link you posted, shows the D4D listing a drum/disc option, I take it you get some with drums only or are they set up with a disc for braking and a drum for the handbrake or something?

Also mention of ADB what's that when it's at home :)

No, some models had conventional drum brakes but most have a disc brake with a small drum brake inside the disc (sometimes referred to as drum in hat) which is the parking brake. If you change the rear discs you may need to change the shoes. They are not expensive but they are very fiddley.

rear brake comp.pdf

The item referred to as ADB is an accessory kit. If you click in the "compare" box you can view it;

http://www.apec-braking.co.uk/compare?compare%5B%5D%5B667722%5D=ADB+3013

change the shoes. They are not expensive but they are very fiddley.

indeed :D

I see, what is happening at the moment is the passenger side seems to be sticking at times, not sure if that means it needs adjusted or perhaps the caliper needs replaced, on the other hand with this set up it could be this drum set up

It sounds like a course of looking at is in order!

For sure, I had just hoped to get the correct parts so all was ready to be supplied when the garage gave the news.

Can't get the car booked in at moment anyway.

Was no advisories last test which was not long ago and Rav not covered great deal of miles.

Think might just go the whole hog and replace the discs/pads and drum components, can get a second hand caliper cheap enough if that turns out to be an issue.

Or do people rebuilt them? I know from experience the VAG ones don't seem to last that long after have the new seal kit fitted etc

The blueprint exchange caliper is actually the same one as the one fitted originally. You will find they are brand new. I think I pay about £60 ish

IMG_1749-1.jpg

Blue Print caliper