Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Oil For 1.33

FROSTYBALLS

Looking to purchase some topping up oil for my Auris 1.33. It uses 0W-20 oil. Does anyone know of a branded oil of this viscosity or am I reliant on purchasing the Toyota oil?

Dealers use 5W-30 synthetic in a 1.33 when it's serviced.

That's a pretty sweeping statement... although it is something I have wondered.

My dealer has told me they do use a "special" oil in the 1.33, and this is one reason why the service costs are higher for the 1.33 than the 1.4 diesel. I specifically asked about servicing costs when I changed cars and was told the 1.33 oil is horrendously expensive and that an oil/filter change alone was "around £80-90 gbp". One reason why the service plan was worthwhile as it fixes the price for the next 5 or 7 years.

But the big big question... what actually goes in :) how can you tell ? The economy would be the obvious thing to suffer... would it be noticeable ?

And after all this, even the handbook lists all the grades that "can" be used and guess what... 20W50 is an option... urghhhh

Anywork on here know for sure what Toyota GB dealers use.

We have discussed similar topic earlier and the conclusion was- they use whatever is available on the shelf. The reason for price difference is probably the fact that in 1.4 semi was used and now they may use full synthetic oil. There is about £20 difference in retail price so when you add dealer prices it could be £80-90 service. That is my guess thou.

That's a pretty sweeping statement... although it is something I have wondered.

I’ve asked 2 dealers. Both stated they use 5W-30 synthetic in a 1.33 when it's serviced.

Thanks for the info... I'll ask next time I'm in our dealer as to what they actually use although I got the impression they did use the specified 0/20. That was certainly what I was led to believe anyway.

As to Frostyballs original question... no, I have never seen 0/20 on the shelf anywhere. There can't be a problem I'm sure topping up with a 5/30... but it would be interesting to know if the dealers actually stocked the recommended stuff.

Has it burned much oil ? and over what mileage ?

Has it burned much oil ? and over what mileage ?

The Auris has only just turned 1800 miles from new (October 09) and hasn't used any oil to date. Though next Friday we're travelling up to Skye for a couple of weeks - 1050 mile return journey with 600 of those being motorway. So with tootling around will probably do 1700-2000 miles over the fortnight.

Want to take a litre of oil with me for possible topping up - limited number of garages on Skye with the likelihood of limited access to synthetic.

Lol... I agree with reece... it's not the outback you know, Skye.

Have a good trip :)

Whatever they put in you will be charged for the top grade.

You are probably right. Garages charge as if you were buying single one litre cans of oil, which are expensive, but in fact in most cases the oil comes from bulk storage and it is close to impossible to identify the quality and specification of the oil they use.

Toyota (certainly the dealer here) charges per 1/10 litre. A typical service might show as 44 units on the invoice@ £0.70 for example. They have done that for 8 years at least.

It would be interesting to know what Toyota GB's recommend is on oil... the official line... is it left up to the dealers what they use, or are they supposed to use certain grades (as the handbooks specify) in different models.

We don't .........Most dealers use 5w-30 for MOST petrol/diesel models, but most newer engines and Hybrids require 0w-20 or 0w-30 depending on what model

Kingo :thumbsup:

Not enough time to go across Birmingham to nearest Toyota dealer before we go away - so ended up buying a litre of Castrol Edge 0W-30 fully synthetic which seemed to be the closest I could get to a 0W-20. Its only as a standby, and from my experience with my previous Corolla it won't be needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

I have a Yaris TS 1.8 and an Auris 1.33 and both use 0w20 oil. Between services I use MOTUL 300 V High RPM 0W20.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links