Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Upgrade 12V Battery

kithmo

Is it feasable to upgrade the standard 12v Battery to a larger capacity one or is it just a waste of time ?

The reason I ask is that it seems, according to other posts on here, that the Battery is likely to run flat on its own if left for a few weeks.

I was thinking that in a situation like going on holiday for 2 or 3 weeks and leaving the car at a car park near the airport, am I likely to come back to a flat Battery ?

The Battery is more a leisure size than standard car size.

The US sites have info on adapting other batteries to fit, though it's a question of finding something similar over here.

Maybe a portable 12v jump station would be better as you could leave it in the car fully charged - and make sure you turn off things like keyless entry?

You can swap the standard Battery out for a yellow top optima which will give you more capacity.

It's not a cheap option!

Have a look over on the Prius Chat forum and google.

For example...

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-technical-discussion/79273-12-v-battery-listening-radio.html

http://www.elearnaid.com/12vo1topraub.html

On gen 2 instruction manual, it says you can disconnect the Battery and take it out if on hols for more than 2 or 3 weeks. Does this apply to gen 3?

There is no easy or reliable way to tell the health of a 12v Battery. The reports of the 12v Aux Battery going flat when parked for a couple of weeks are typically posted about cars that are more than a few years old. Based on various posts, about 4 years seems to be the typical life span for the 12v Aux Battery before a replacement is required, YMMV.

For a brand, spanking new Prius, fresh from the factory, the battery should easily manage 4 weeks parked with only standby current drain, and there should still be enough juice left in the 12v Aux battery to power up the Prius.

Further to Timberwolf's comment. I left my Gen 2 prius in my garage for four weeks, last December/January without disconnecting the Battery and it started perfectly when I got back from a holiday.

There is no easy or reliable way to tell the health of a 12v battery. The reports of the 12v Aux battery going flat when parked for a couple of weeks are typically posted about cars that are more than a few years old. Based on various posts, about 4 years seems to be the typical life span for the 12v Aux battery before a replacement is required, YMMV.

For a brand, spanking new Prius, fresh from the factory, the battery should easily manage 4 weeks parked with only standby current drain, and there should still be enough juice left in the 12v Aux battery to power up the Prius.

Thanks, that's put my mind at rest to some extent, knowing that the Battery should be ok for 4 years or so. :thumbsup:

I may even have saved enough to buy a new one by then. :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links