Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre Pressure Monitor Info?

JensonF4

Hi Guys

After all posts relating to the T180 Runflats, I have managed to get hold of an original T180 wheel/tyre for use as a spare on longer journeys (so I wont get caught by the 'Highway Robbers' to fit a new tyre if I do get stuck!)

I have read somewhere that the TPM system can store up to TEN transponders, (ok if you want 2 full sets of wheels and tyres then!) but the question I have is; How do you 'program' an additional wheel transponder onto your car? ie if you needed to replace one?

I guess its going to be a trip to Mr T and have my pants pulled down for them to do it but I wondered if anyone has any further info on the TPM system and its operation/parameters and if it is possibble for a diy setup?....(Anchorman??)

Regards

JensonF4

• Like 1

Hi mate

I bought a new alloy and tyre (non run flat) from a 4x4 centre to use as a spare. £140 all in. I put it on the car and took it for a 40 mile drive and no light came on the dash regarding pressure etc. However, when the run flat was back on I let some air out and the light came on. Switched engine off, reinflated and its back off. Beast me lol

However, when the run flat was back on I let some air out and the light came on. Switched engine off, reinflated and its back off.

I have a slow puncture on an original tyre...warning light comes on/off when pressure reaches 30 psi - even while engine is running, when I am re inflating it!! :huh:

Just letting you know that there is no need to switch the engine off, if you don't want to, when you re-inflate!! :yes:

Edited by parky1968

Hi Wardude and Parky,

Thanks for your replies, from these I guess that if pressure on any tyre with a transponder fitted drops below 30psi, this triggers the warning light on the dash.

Wardude, did you have your original wheel in the back of car when you tested your non rft spare?

I had a Peugeot 407sw company car with a similar system, but when a wheel was removed from car, that permamamtly showed one wheel missing and deflated! even when flat one was in boot! :eek: (well it was French!)

My enquiry is more to discover how sensitive it is to proximity (It doesnt seem dependant on which corner wheel is fitted as on peugeot which indicated which tyre was low pressure or deflated on screen in dash) and, as I have another RFT spare with the transponder, so, can I add it to the monitor system easily?

When the tyres become ready for replacement, I reckon I will get the support rings removed so I can fit std tyres and have more options to fit and be cheaper! I quite like the look of std wheel rims anyway and the TPM is usefull too, because who REALLY checks their tyre pressure everyday? and its good if like Parky, you suffer a slow puncture whilst driving. Also, with the support rings in RFT'S, would you notice a slow deflation right away?

Perhaps I am being to inquisitive 'Have Gadget, want to use it to the full' Bit like the power of the T180 :yes....

Overall though, its a great car

After all posts relating to the T180 Runflats, I have managed to get hold of an original T180 wheel/tyre for use as a spare on longer journeys (so I wont get caught by the 'Highway Robbers' to fit a new tyre if I do get stuck!)

has the wheel you got got a sticker on the inside of the rim with a code on it??if not you will need to take it too a place that can remove the tyre so you can get the code off the valve

I have read somewhere that the TPM system can store up to TEN transponders, (ok if you want 2 full sets of wheels and tyres then!) but the question I have is; How do you 'program' an additional wheel transponder onto your car? ie if you needed to replace one?

I guess its going to be a trip to Mr T

nope you can only store 5 codes think someone has got confused the codes have ten digets.

and yip you need to go to toyota as you need it2(toyotas tester) to program the codes in to the ecu and nope you cant do it yourself

When the tyres become ready for replacement, I reckon I will get the support rings removed so I can fit std tyres

the tyres on your t180 are standard tyres theirs nothing run flat or special about them its the support ring that does the run flat bit..

done my fair share of work on the t180 run flat system!!

Hi mate

No I left my t180 wheel at home. I already spoke to my local tyre guy and when the tyres need replacing he will cut the support bands of and fit new tyres. BTW that wheel i got was a great buy. lovely looking alloy wheel with tyre and only £140 delivered. looks very similar to the T180 wheel. Got it standing upright in the boot on a black wheel bag with a ratchet strap holding it in place.

Hi Ormi

Thanks for reply, i appreciate the info. The wheel has the nomal warning sticker on inside of rim, so I will take a closer look for the ten digit number sticker for transponder id. Then I will have a trip up to Mr T and see how much they will charge me to programme it on ECU.

I keep reading different info on here, and although the idea with support rings is good as a get you home fix, (Especially as the wife uses it most of the time) they become an expensive option when the first time you get a puncture, the tyre becomes irrepairable.

So I will keep the TPM system but get rid of the support rings as tyres needs replacing, at least then I have option to have punctures repaired and wider selection of tyres to fit.

Thanks for all your advice guys.