Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tips For A Short Driver

Chris Aaaaa

I bought my wife a 2007 Auris auto, she has problems doing hill starts, I just said use the handbrake!

Then I was out in the car with her and found the problem as we rolled backward down a hill, she is short and cannot pull the handbrake on [back] far enough.

I see Toyota have modified the handbrake and fitted an electronic hill start assist to newer cars - any idea what I do with this one, dealer has gone deaf?

Are there any safety recalls I can quote?

Chris

I bought my wife a 2007 Auris auto, she has problems doing hill starts, I just said use the handbrake!

Then I was out in the car with her and found the problem as we rolled backward down a hill, she is short and cannot pull the handbrake on [back] far enough.

I see Toyota have modified the handbrake and fitted an electronic hill start assist to newer cars - any idea what I do with this one, dealer has gone deaf?

Are there any safety recalls I can quote?

Chris

I have a 2010 MMT Auris and the fitting of an electronic hill start assist is news to me, the handbrake release button has changed but that's it.

I have a 2010 MMT Auris and the fitting of an electronic hill start assist is news to me, the handbrake release button has changed but that's it.

Hi Dee Jay,

It is more than just the release button, on the newer models the handbrake is pulled up, on the 2007 it is pulled back, it goes very nearly vertical.

The guy in the dealership was explaining that on new cars if you press the pedal hard down while stationary then it holds the brakes on for 2 secs to allow you to get on the accelerator, not sure how that was supposed to help me, but then when you have nothing useful to say...

Chris

Hi Chris and welcome!

Handbrake isn't the only way to make a good hill start.

She can also use the brake pedal in the same way as she'd be using clutch (on the manual car) or handbrake. First press the brake pedal with her foot and then start adding pressure to the acceleration pedal with her other foot releasing the brake pedal at the same time little by little. Finally she should get the car moving forward without any rolling back.

It takes some practice, but when she'll get used to it everything should be fine!

Hope this helps!

Hi Chris and welcome!

Handbrake isn't the only way to make a good hill start.

She can also use the brake pedal in the same way as she'd be using clutch (on the manual car) or handbrake. First press the brake pedal with her foot and then start adding pressure to the acceleration pedal with her other foot releasing the brake pedal at the same time little by little. Finally she should get the car moving forward without any rolling back.

It takes some practice, but when she'll get used to it everything should be fine!

Hope this helps!

Hi SpeedChaser,

That is fine for me, it is what I have been doing, but I get her automatics because her left foot control of the clutch was terrible. Now she has been in an automatic for well over 10 yrs I cannot see her managing the change safely. We live is flat part of the UK so she will get no chance to practice, she will just need to be able to do it when we are in hilly places.

Chris

Sorry to hear that Chris! I just can't see any other options. The dealer isn't responsible for problems that some individuals are having while driving the car if there's nothing really wrong with it. The design is as it is and you just have to live with it.

I hope she is using the handbrake while parking on an uneven street, as there's no "P" gear in the multimode transmission like in fully automatical one. The car might start moving little by little so that she won't even notice it while leaving.

One more thing to try for easier hill starts would be putting the handbrake on and just start driving without releasing it. After getting to the first even place, take some time and release the handbrake. Not the best option probably, but seems like the last one to me...

Good luck, hope you'll find the solution!

Sorry to hear that Chris! I just can't see any other options. The dealer isn't responsible for problems that some individuals are having while driving the car if there's nothing really wrong with it. The design is as it is and you just have to live with it.

I hope she is using the handbrake while parking on an uneven street, as there's no "P" gear in the multimode transmission like in fully automatical one. The car might start moving little by little so that she won't even notice it while leaving.

One more thing to try for easier hill starts would be putting the handbrake on and just start driving without releasing it. After getting to the first even place, take some time and release the handbrake. Not the best option probably, but seems like the last one to me...

Good luck, hope you'll find the solution!

I got her to try the 2 pedal method today in a multi-story, lovely smell of burning clutch plate!

You missed the point about the handbrake, she cannot pull it on because the seat is in the way, and if I pull it on from the passenger seat she cannot release it.

I have had a few toyotas now, this is the first time I have come across careless design. I was going to get myself an avensis, but if it is another CF like this I guess I will get a DSG passat.

Chris

• 1 month later...

After some investigation there is a kit available, it replaces the handbrake lever and three other bits, Toyota charge between 420 and 460 to fit it. After this the handrake lever needs to move back a shorter distance to work. It is not perfect but it is an improvement.

If your dealer is still in denial then try quoting 46201-12352 to them :)

Chris

Nice solution Chris! Glad you found a way even though it's not perfect. Got any pics of the handbrake lifted, or can the difference even be noticed without comparsion pic?

Nice solution Chris! Glad you found a way even though it's not perfect. Got any pics of the handbrake lifted, or can the difference even be noticed without comparsion pic?

You would need to see both to see the difference, it comes back 2-3 inches less now. I had hoped the mod would be to fit the new handbrake from the newer models these have a modified centre consol so there is space for a more traditional pull up handbrake.

It is hard to imagine why Toyota got it so wrong, it is like they contracted the design out to Citroen :)

Chris