Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Simple Advice Needed

Jike

Hi all, I'm eagerly awaiting my "new" (Sept 08) SR180 (despite some of the comments I've read on this forum :D ), and was wondering if anyone could give me some general commonsense advice on diesel. Is here a best type?, should I watch for anthing?. This will be my 3rd Auris but I've never driven diesel before so any tips (however obvious they may seem to you) would be greatly appreciated.

By the way I've been looking at the photos of some of your cars on other threads, WOW!

Dont believe all you read on here, if I had I would not have brought my Auris SR180, but I am glad I did. Mine is gun metal gray, and when polished looks the absolute dogs. I have just added the mud flaps and it looks fantastic. You will not regret it.

All I will say is the SR is a little heavy on diesel urban, but give it a long run, preferably motorway, and 40 mpg is easily achivable. Make use of the criuse control as well. Not only does this improve economy, but on long journeys can also make driving more confortable.

You have made a good choice, and I hope you realise you have just joined a elite club. The SR180 isnt being made anymore so that little Badge on the back is a dying icon but no shrinking violet. Enjoy.

You have made a good choice, and I hope you realise you have just joined a elite club. The SR180 isnt being made anymore so that little badge on the back is a dying icon but no shrinking violet. Enjoy.

Thanks Paddylad,now I feel smugger than I did when I ordered it. I must admit the fact that they have stopped making them added to my desire to buy one. It is the model I wanted when I started but couldn't afford it (according to my wife).

Hi all, I'm eagerly awaiting my "new" (Sept 08) SR180 (despite some of the comments I've read on this forum :D ), and was wondering if anyone could give me some general commonsense advice on diesel. Is here a best type?, should I watch for anthing?. This will be my 3rd Auris but I've never driven diesel before so any tips (however obvious they may seem to you) would be greatly appreciated.

By the way I've been looking at the photos of some of your cars on other threads, WOW!

It took me a while to get use to diesel at first, but i did eventually and love it....most of the time. :)

Despite the common belief that you can pull from "WAY DOWN LOW", say from 1500rpm, this isn't necessarily the case with this 2.2. I find that it realistically need at least 2000rpm to make any progress, maybe this is down to the turbo config as there seem to be a big lag below this point.

If you put your foot down after 2000rpm you will get up to speed very quickly indeed, you will find 2nd and 3rd gear addictive at first. :)

On the motorway, you will find that you will be able to overtake pretty much anything with ease without the need for a change down, this is assuming that you are above 2000rpm (i.e 70mph in 6th gear).

Learn to use the torque thats available between 2000 - 3600 and not thrash the revs like you would in a petrol, realistically you will never need to be above 4000rpm at all.

I personally find that the car is capable of doing at least 42mpg to a tank without too much effort, but if you want to average above 45 then you will need to drive very light footed. I have logged and calculated a running average since last September, right at this moment my car has averaged 38.4mpg since then. Not that good but this is due to me being heavy footed most days.

On long runs as i said, i can easily average 42mpg over 1 tank.

As for problems, i have had a rough start problem since November, which Toyota have not been able to fix. This is after they changes EGR and Battery in an attempt to fix it, some have suggested injectors but they assure me that they are fine. We shall see.

No other major problems to report apart from the "recalls" for brakes and steering column, and of course the pedal issue.

Minor creaks and moans in the cabin, but the car has covered 45k and 3 years old, to expect anything less is not realistic for a car in this class.

Overall very happy and have not been nearly as unhappy as some others on here.

Enjoy it. :thumbsup:

Hi all, I'm eagerly awaiting my "new" (Sept 08) SR180 (despite some of the comments I've read on this forum

You will find that most posters on any vehicle forum will only post "bad" things and some of those could be easily rectified by yourself.

Go on the Nisan, VW, Ford, Vauxhaul etc forums and you'll see what I mean.

I am on my 2nd Auris and 5th Toyota and they all have been ok.

DD

You will find that most posters on any vehicle forum will only post "bad" things and some of those could be easily rectified by yourself.

Go on the Nisan, VW, Ford, Vauxhaul etc forums and you'll see what I mean.

I am on my 2nd Auris and 5th Toyota and they all have been ok.

DD

This is very very true, we have a T180 and apart form a few niggles mainly mpg which is around 5mpg less than we expected we are very happy with it. I will say yes the car does have a few minor faults / issues that could be better made but then again so does every car and this is down to the fact that all cars now days are built by accountants not engineers and it us the customer wanting as much as possible for as little as possible that create this situation.

The best thing with the T180 is the spec is higher unless you got a very early 08 SR180 what was really a T180 with SR180 body kit. we got keyless entry etc, sunroof, auto wipers and lights and I think there is a few other things that was removed from the last SR180s made, again this is down to the final price and the accountants.

Bosch aero twin wipers very expensive but 3 months later the drivers wiper still does not drag

P1000405.jpg

Genuine Toyota wind deflectors IMO every car should have these

P1000407.jpg

Genuine Toyota alloy pedals, these do not come with a foot rest but a guy on the Type R forum specially made this for me at work. please note you cannot see my footwell lighting due to the amount of sun light

P1000408.jpg

DSCF0640.jpg

P1000409.jpg

I am thinking of using carbon fibre wrap on the silver plastics on the centre consul due to scratches in the sliver paint, what do you think about this?

My missus said she didnt want one, and wouldnt even drive it on the test drive. I think the test drive we had went down in dealership history, we never stopped arguing.

She said they were to noisey with the turbo going all of the time and sounded rough. What a sound it makes though. To yourself, or anyone else who has an SR180, turn the radio off when driving home from work and what a noise it makes! Absolutely fantastic.

She didnt like the SR180 so I brought her a 1.8 SR Yaris and she hasnt complained yet. Very unlike my missus, she normally finds something to complain about, but after 6 months, nothing yet!!! Tell a lie, she complained that she wanted to drive the SR180 and when she did, even she had to admit what a car it is.

I have parted company with 5 cars over the last 5 years but I can forsee myself still owning the SR180 20 years down the line. You have made a shrewd purchase which will bring you enjoyment for many years.

My missus said she didnt want one, and wouldnt even drive it on the test drive. I think the test drive we had went down in dealership history, we never stopped arguing.

She said they were to noisey with the turbo going all of the time and sounded rough. What a sound it makes though. To yourself, or anyone else who has an SR180, turn the radio off when driving home from work and what a noise it makes! Absolutely fantastic.

She didnt like the SR180 so I brought her a 1.8 SR Yaris and she hasnt complained yet. Very unlike my missus, she normally finds something to complain about, but after 6 months, nothing yet!!! Tell a lie, she complained that she wanted to drive the SR180 and when she did, even she had to admit what a car it is.

I have parted company with 5 cars over the last 5 years but I can forsee myself still owning the SR180 20 years down the line. You have made a shrewd purchase which will bring you enjoyment for many years.

Turned the radio off tonight on the way home from work, you are so right. Bit of a squeak on the brake when I got home,nothing bad but I read something about it on this forum so I probably think it's a bigger deal than it is. Anyway back to the point. I Love my new car!

I thought my brakes were sqeeking, but found it was the way the wind rattled through the cabin when the window was open a high speed. Check this before you check your brakes. It may cost you alot of time, money and worry.

I thought my brakes were sqeeking, but found it was the way the wind rattled through the cabin when the window was open a high speed. Check this before you check your brakes. It may cost you alot of time, money and worry.

Thanks for the thought, but it was when I pulled up into my drive and the windows were closed.I'm over-reacting I know, but you know what it's like, you read something and it sticks in your mind. I still love "my car" and I am so pleased I took the plunge. I'm going on holiday in 6 weeks, East Anglia to Cornwall, so I can have a proper "play" then.

Congratulations on your purchase. I've had my SR180 since January and had a problem with squealing brakes as the car was going along the road. Three trips to Mr T on Teesside and all is well. When I drive it now I remember why I bought it in the first place - it's lovely!! I drive it briskly because that's why I bought it and I currently get 39.8 m.p.g. in a mixture of town and dual carriageway driving. I try to avoid short town trips (use my wife's Yaris for that) as they are a killer on fuel economy.

Best advice I got from this forum was to get up to speed quickly and then ease off.