Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Motor Oil Question

ceebee

Hi All,

sorry to ask such a basic question but everything has changed with types of oil, and I not exactly sure on which I should use, I now have a Toyota Rav 4 VVTi Sept 2005.

Up until now I have always put 20W-50 oil in my cars, but now I read that this motor might be more efficient using 5w-30 am I reading this correctly, the handbook graph is a bit confusing as it shows 5w-30 not covering the upper temperatures. does this mean I need to use a different oil for summer and winter. Thanks for any advice in advance.

Regards Chris B

Chris

Use 5W/30 all year round. It way exceeds the ambient temp range we will see in this country.

This is what frightens me about 5w/30 oil, According to the manual and other sources it does not seem to cover the upper temps?

Anchs cna you point me in the direction of some links where it says a 30 weight oil is just as good or better than a 40 weight oil.

When I bought my Petrol RAV in 2004 the local Toyota Garage used Castrol 10W-40 and that is what I have continued to use for servicing. I understand that 5W-30 is in fashion now as it potentially saves on fuel consumption.

My feeling is there is very little in it unless it gets "real cold"

This is what frightens me about 5w/30 oil, According to the manual and other sources it does not seem to cover the upper temps?

Anchs cna you point me in the direction of some links where it says a 30 weight oil is just as good or better than a 40 weight oil.

i thought diesels ran on tar? :wacko: :wacko:

Hi Jedi

Try not to think about the thickness of the oil but more about how fluid it is. Thin oil will not compress any more than thick oil but it will get around the engine quicker from start up and it will provide less resistance to the moving parts. The highest priced fully synthetic oils are often zero cold rated but is often used in very high performance cars. To put your mind at rest, read this chart from the owners handbook and you will see that 5W/30 is good down lower than minus 29C and above plus 38C - way exceeding anything we will see in this country;

oilspec2.jpg

Hi All,

sorry to ask such a basic question but everything has changed with types of oil, and I not exactly sure on which I should use, I now have a Toyota Rav 4 VVTi Sept 2005.

Up until now I have always put 20W-50 oil in my cars, but now I read that this motor might be more efficient using 5w-30 am I reading this correctly, the handbook graph is a bit confusing as it shows 5w-30 not covering the upper temperatures. does this mean I need to use a different oil for summer and winter. Thanks for any advice in advance.

Regards Chris B

hi Chris

I do not see any problems to use 5W30. I use this grade all year round even in extreme summer themps.

Cheers/Igor

I`ve just had a look at my manual, and it seems a 5w/30 will be ok for my engine, so the manual says(But I still have my doubts), but what is the 1AZ-FE engine? as for that engine it does not cover the upper temp ranges?

Toyota.jpg

I`ve just had a look at my manual, and it seems a 5w/30 will be ok for my engine, so the manual says(But I still have my doubts), but what is the 1AZ-FE engine? as for that engine it does not cover the upper temp ranges?

Toyota.jpg

Hi Anchorman,

I sure I have the 1AZ-FE engine looking at the picture of the engine layout in the manual and like Jedi I am concerned about the upper temperature levels as the graph doesn't seem to cover them, your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks Chris B

I also found this an interesting read.

Its like when a Motor manufacture states that there oil/fluid is "filled for life" define the term "life"

More like filled for the life of there warranty period, then after that they don`t care because it will be you that has to cough up for the repairs.

Interesting stuff but keep in mind the tolerances inside a Toyota engine are extremely fine. I have just looked in the book with my car but of course the 1AZ-FE engine has gone. The use of 5W/30 in the above charts is not prohibited for this engine, what it is saying is that if you expect ambients of 10C and beyond -18C you should use 5W/30 to aid the cranking speed of the starter.

I believe that in the 4.3 manual for models from 2006-9 the recommended oil for a 1AZ-FE is 5W/30 but maybe somebody can check. In the new models of the post 2009 book only my 2AD-FTV engine is shown as using 5W/30 and all the other engines are using 0W/20 oils "as filled when built". I just happen to have the US 2006 specs in a pdf (page 3)and you can see that with very wide extremes of temperature they are using thinner oils;

oil.pdf

The 2AZ-FE is the 2.4 version VVTi. Forget about oil needing to be thick - it doesn't.

Maybe Totota have extended that arrow to the right on the newer manuals to meet their stringent C.A.F.E. quota? :thumbsup:

I have always used Mobil 1 0w-40 fully synthetic on my 2003 RAV from new. It has just covered 50k miles and the engine sounds and performs as new.

The thinner oil circulates quicker when cold and minimises wear on start up which is when most damage is caused.

Between my annual oil changes I never have to top up - how good is that!

Hi All,

Regards Chris B

Chris

Hi

I am inclined to be agreed with Anchorman. I used to use the same oil all year rounds and it works fine even in extreme summer temp.

Cheers/Igor

• 2 months later...

Just a quick question here i've just been in my local Home Bargains they have Shell Helix Ultra Fully Synthetic 5w-40 4l £9.99 would this be ok ? oil viscosity confuses me and i don't want to get it wrong.

I believe that in the 4.3 manual for models from 2006-9 the recommended oil for a 1AZ-FE is 5W/30 but maybe somebody can check.

From the 2006 - 09 handbook. Better late than never....?

scan0001.pdf

Thanks Robert :thumbsup:

It would be a good choice of oil and it is good value. Keep in mind you are cutting it fine with 1, 4 ltr tub. The capacity is 4.2 ltrs

..... my local Home Bargains they have Shell Helix Ultra Fully Synthetic 5w-40 4l £9.99 ....

Considering I paid €14.99 for one litre of Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 in my local (Irish) Halfords the other day ohmy.gif , it seems incredible value