Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Scion Iq In The States

jlstrange

Last night my wife & I attended a Scion Dimension show in Portland OR. Scion is traveling around the states showing 4 new cars at selected locations and by registration only. They had the updated TC in stock and customized form and the new iQ in stock and customized form. These cars have been shown in the major shows and all over the web but it's the first time we in the Outland GNW (Great Northwest) get to see them live. The TC will be available this fall and the iQ early next year.

The show struck me as a bit odd as it was only for 2 hours and you had to pre-register to attend, complete with a verification of ID to get in the door. I appreciated the opportunity to see the iQ though as we can see it in our garage next year. A big show expense for <100 people so not sure how much Scion got out of it.

• 3 years later...

John -

I just joined the club and now live in Portland, where there seem to be a handful of IQ's. It's lonely out there! Is there a group in town that gets together?

Christopher Springmann

• Like 1

We attended this same traveling show when it came through Houston, and were struck by the facts that a) the give aways were pretty impressive (we got two very nice Cordura computer bags, b) the refreshments were substantial (although nothing that I would touch with a ten foot pole), c) there was a lot of clever technology used (get your photo taken and they would then print it out for you right there, d) they had the new to the market iQ where you could view it up close and personal (but could see nothing of the interior - it was closed off completely, and it almost looked like the glass was painted black from the inside, and e) the lighting was extreme and the music was LOUD.

I waited until I could sit in an iQ at the dealership before making the decision to buy.

• Like 1

Greetings from sunny Portland OR . . .

My 2013 IQ is easily the finest car I have ever owned, aesthetically and mechinically. The design is remarkable as it's far more stunning than it really needs to be to be successful, especially considering Toyota's conservative styling bent. I'm surprised it ever escaped from their design studio and was approved for production.

However, my concern is that, based on what I've read, If the European Toyota iQ is cancelled, that would likely spell the end of the slow-selling IQ here in the US, asToyota sold just 3,365 units through September, 2013, a drop of 51 percent year over year. Frankly, Toyota/Scion has conspiciously lost interest in the vehicle, as it is virtually invisable in the marketplace, while the Fiat 500 continues to roar along, pumping out new models, colors, features, special editions et al.

A little context, please. I grew up with small cars, as my dad's first adventure was with a Hilman Minx. He cursed the "Prince of Darkness" (Lucas) often, especially after we drove through a small puddle and the car died. This, from the man who was the PR manager at California's UNOCAL in the bigger-is-better auto era (translation: gas guzzlers).

I have waited for years for the IQ to find its way to America so Hot Lava could roll down the road.

Any thoughts about the future of the IQ, here and over there, wherever you are?

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links