Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Carina E Tyre Choice

Graeme

Can anyone suggest a good long life all season tyre for my 1997 1.8 Carina E . Pirelli P4000 175-70-14's,on the vehicle at present, have worn down very quickly and I am looking for some guidance on reasonably priced replacements. Driving is mainly town based.

Michelin Energy's tend to last a long time because they are a hard compound. They don't neccesarilly do anything else particularly well, but they don't do anything badly either, but it's not uncommon to get 40k out of a set if your careful.

These are the tyres fitted as standard on the old shape Avensis I believe.

Hey,

I quite agree with James here. Michelin Energy lasts!! I am also in the process of changing tyres. I have no complaint with Michelin. Despite being long lasting, which mine did 70k miles, I feel that the grip isn't too bad either both on wet and dry. So I have no hesitation in recommending Michelin.

The new tyres I've ordered are Yokohamas. I was quite happy to go for another Michelin but I always wanted to try Yokohamas so I am in the process of trying it out. ;)

:thumbsup: Graeme's saved me the trouble of asking exactly the same question!

What should you be paying for Michelin Energy's on average - I've seen prices varying wildly... Are some quoting for a set of 2, do you think..?

Cheers

Friend at work has recommended Vredestein as being an excellent tyre for wear and long life. Has anyone any good or bad experiences they can share?

i will be getting new tyres for my Carina II in a few month and have done a lot of research. After long decisions, i'll be repolaceing my 165/13's with 195/60/14 Goodyear Eagle Ventura's. They have many good reviews, and exceptional wet handling and nobody has a bad work to say about them, and according to the reviews they will last well too.

I have had 2 sets of Eagle Venturas on my GTi and they have been superb. The Carina does seem to be a bit heavy on its' tyres but it is a big car so I s'pose its' only to be expected? Sticks to the road blummin' well though :yes:

I have just bought a set of 4 Hankook K406 for my Carina E 1.6.

Result!.

Bargain price £140 all in. Nice and quiet on the road. Old Dunlops were horrible. Plenty of grip. Had to shop around to get the price, but well worth it. Fitter says that Hankook are to be fitted as standard on new Audis.

Check the online reviews.

• 4 weeks later...

I've got a tick for Bridgestone especially on my motorbike ( Bridgestone BT20).

I bought a new set of summer tires (front) that will be installed tomorrow.

I must say I didn't select them on durability.

Car: Carina GTi (158 bhp FWD)

Tyres:Bridgestone Turanza ER300 (no Typo, new model)

195/60 R15 V

It's supposed to be comfterble and high grip due to the profile

Bridgestone Turanza ER300

I'll let y'll know how they drive.

We were on Yokohomas til we got the new alloys (from a celica gt4)

Now we're running on Bridgestone M&S tyres, good grip just limited to 90mph <_<

I have FALKEN FK451

Very good grip on dry and wet surface.

215/40/17"

Normally this month, i'm going to change to 215/35/18" , but still with the Falken FK451

I had Michelin Pilots on my car when I got it, so I have replaced the tyres with the same.

I got them from Costco for £60 each (fitted, balanced and rotated). The size is 195/16R15. I got the same tyre quoted from quick-fit for over £100!

I can't comment on lifespan since I didn't fit the previous set, but as for grip, as people have commented it's not brilliant, but then my Avensis isn't a sports car and for sensible town and M'Way driving they are fine in ALL weather IMO (not had any chance to try themin Snow yet though).

I must say I didn't select them on durability.

Car: Carina GTi (158 bhp FWD)

Tyres:Bridgestone Turanza ER300 (no Typo, new model)

195/60 R15 V

Bridgestone Turanza ER300

I must point out that during the winter I have a set of winter tyres and rims.

Those are also Bridgestones. Me previous set of tires Bridgestone Potenza RE720 I did 50k and I have a sporty drive. And those tires needed to be replaced becaus of shoulder wear due to high speed cornering.