Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Emission Problem

airmiles19

hi

I have a K reg Toyota Carina E GLI 1600

it has failed the emission test

the car is running fine and the emu light does not come on

i have changed the spark plugs they appear ok i also changed the air filter

i was told it is unlikely to be the co2 sensor as the light does not come on

can any1 advice me please as i don't want to by a sensor if not needed

Try some engine flush, something like FORTE is good i had to put two bottles in when mine failed. :thumbsup:

Try some engine flush, something like FORTE is good i had to put two bottles in when mine failed. :thumbsup:

Try changing the oil if it has not been done recently I have done this in the past before an mot after being advised to do it.

How To Improve Your Odds Of Passing An Emissions Test

The best way to improve the odds of passing an emissions test is to maintain your vehicle. A well-maintained engine is usually a clean engine as far as emissions are concerned.

Changing the spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter, PCV valve and oil regularly (or just before an emissions test), checking ignition timing and adjusting the carburetor (if you have an older vehicle) can reduce emissions and greatly improve your chance of passing.

Try changing the oil if it has not been done recently I have done this in the past before an mot after being advised to do it.

The best way to improve the odds of passing an emissions test is to maintain your vehicle. A well-maintained engine is usually a clean engine as far as emissions are concerned.

Changing the spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter, PCV valve and oil regularly (or just before an emissions test), checking ignition timing and adjusting the carburetor (if you have an older vehicle) can reduce emissions and greatly improve your chance of passing.

Whats a PCV valve?

Whats a PCV valve?

PCV valve is a Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve.

It is placed in the rocker arm cover and has a hose to the inlet manifold. You have a slight vaccuum in that manifold and you have a higher pressure in the crankcase and under the rocker arm cover. that means that the oil vapour is going to the inlet of the engine and pass the combustion in the engine.

• 3 weeks later...

hi

I have a K reg Toyota Carina E GLI 1600

it has failed the emission test

the car is running fine and the emu light does not come on

i have changed the spark plugs they appear ok i also changed the air filter

i was told it is unlikely to be the co2 sensor as the light does not come on

can any1 advice me please as i don't want to by a sensor if not needed

I believe the protocol in this situation is that you say to the MOT tester something like:

*nudge nudge wink wink* Can you retest it for me in case the MOT emissions sensor was misplaced or something? Here's twenty quid to cover the extra work of double-checking it's properly positioned.

Seriously, though, from what I've heard you can get a wrong result if the MOT monkey used the probe wrong, so it may be worth double-checking. Other than that, the MOT fail should say what part of the emissions test you failed, which would provide more information about what might be wrong.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links