Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Verso (2000) Rear Seat Mechanism

jamesf49

Hi all .... new here and looking for help.

Tried the search and couldn't find anything.

Just picked up a second hand Verso.

The rear middle seat, which folds down into a table, is missing the tab which is pulled to operate the mechanism.

Can anyone tell me how this operates and if it is possible to fit a new tab?

Thanks in advance.

James

Hi all .... new here and looking for help.

Tried the search and couldn't find anything.

Just picked up a second hand Verso.

The rear middle seat, which folds down into a table, is missing the tab which is pulled to operate the mechanism.

Can anyone tell me how this operates and if it is possible to fit a new tab?

Thanks in advance.

James

Dear James,

The centre seat back is fastened to the left-hand seat back by means of a metal hook which is fairly heavily spring loaded. This hook engages with a horizontal metal post attached to the left-hand seat frame. The loop of fabric which emerges through the middle seat back seems to be attached directly to this spring-loaded hook, but it needs quite a good heave to release it. Even when the middle seat has been removed, it is not easy to see how the loop is attached to the hook (my guess would be a heavy gauge wire attachment to the hook, through which the fabric passes.) You might manage a 'one off' release by threading the two ends of something like a flat shoelace through the seatback from the rear and out of the slot in the front, then hoping to catch the lace under the restraining hook, when a good pull from the two ends emerging from the front might release it. Where you go after that will probably need some dismantling of the seat back itself.

Hope this helps

Cully

Thanks for the reply.

I actually just found out this morning how to do it and it is now fixed.

For future reference, I downloaded a pdf of the service manual which gives a guide to stripping down the seats.

I managed to release the catch from the back of the seat, where there is an entry slot, by pushing with a screwdriver. Once I had the covers and seat pad removed I found that it was possible to slip a couple of links of chain over the end of the hook. To this I attached an old mobile-phone case hand-strap and slotted it through the hole.

Works a treat !

James

• 5 months later...

Brilliant choice of car :toast: only downside is Battery goes after about 50000 miles with no warning, other than that they are more reliable than a chieftan tank.

I have been totally baffled why a car that was the Which Best Car for years was put out of production and now we have a raft of cars that are lookalikes the Skoda for example is a clear rip off.

I can only assume toyota realised that they'd never break down and sales futures were bu****** so they brought in a spate of new models that fall apart like circus clown cars :eek:

Dedicated TYV lover :thumbsup:

Hi Custard54,

Nice to hear from another TYV owner.

I have had this one now since May and am loving it. The versatility is fantastic and fuel economy is sitting squarely around the 50mpg mark.

The only major downside is the curse of the Engine Management Light, as is so often reported.

Mine has been on almost since I got the car. The code reader says 'cat running below efficiency' although (from service records) the cat is only 3 years old. I had one of the lambda sensors changed and that didn't cure it .... so I'm just living with it :unsure:

It isn't affecting the performance or the fuel consumption so I'm not unduly bothered.

My other problem is (also often reported) the FM radio not working. AM, CD and tape all work so I'm reluctant to put a new unit in. On constant lookout for a replacement 'head unit' ... if you ever come across one let me know :yes:

;)

James

• 2 months later...

Hi Custard54,

Nice to hear from another TYV owner.

I have had this one now since May and am loving it. The versatility is fantastic and fuel economy is sitting squarely around the 50mpg mark.

The only major downside is the curse of the Engine Management Light, as is so often reported.

Mine has been on almost since I got the car. The code reader says 'cat running below efficiency' although (from service records) the cat is only 3 years old. I had one of the lambda sensors changed and that didn't cure it .... so I'm just living with it :unsure:

It isn't affecting the performance or the fuel consumption so I'm not unduly bothered.

My other problem is (also often reported) the FM radio not working. AM, CD and tape all work so I'm reluctant to put a new unit in. On constant lookout for a replacement 'head unit' ... if you ever come across one let me know :yes:

;)

James

The only thing I can suggest is that you keep eye out in exchange and mart, eBay for scrap yaris versos these often have the parts you need, indeed I'm keeping eye out for towing bracket at moment; they do come up. Cat sensor can be checked by going to mot will reveal exhaust below par and cost is minimal; if it does not breach MOT threashold you've not lost anything you've renewed MOT and had important check up done. HOpe this helps.

• 8 years later...

Brilliant car.  Brilliant help on this site.  Thank you.

I have jack, spare and poles and part for back of previous verso, if you're in Caterham, Surrey or near enough they're yours.