Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gt4 3Sgte Dizzy Problem...(Need To Set The Dizzy At The Right Position

bledigt4

hi guys!

after the rebuild of the engine of my GT4 3sgte, I doubt that the dizzy wasn't set at the original position, so the car is not behaving as it should...

It feels like at low revs (before the turbo kicks)the car is lazy and not accelerating as it should. I'm pretty sure that after the rebuild the dizzy wasn't set at where it needs to be, to give the best performance, at the right degrees.

2 days ago I managed to get that light tool that you check the timing and what I could read was that at idle the sign in the pulley was showing 0 degrees...

Now my question is: Is 0 degrees at idle the right set up for my 3sgte, if not does anyone knows how many degrees before or after the TDC should the mark show at idle to get the best from my engine...I still have that tool so I can fix the timing my self, just need to know where to set it...

Thanks in advance, :thumbsup:

you need to bridge the E1 and TE1 terminals in the diag box and then set the timing mark to the 10 deg mark.

all should be good :thumbs up:

you need to bridge the E1 and TE1 terminals in the diag box and then set the timing mark to the 10 deg mark.

all should be good :thumbs up:

where to see for the 10 deg mark, also 10 deg before or after the 0 mark?

Best,

it will be after, its the longer line on the timing cover.

it will be after, its the longer line on the timing cover.

Hmmmm!!!!

Set the timing at 10 deg, the engine start is quicker, at idle the engine is smooth...

I did the test drive and I noticed that the car revs quicker and is feels more throttle responsive, but going through the 5000 until rev limiter the car pops and bangs in every gear!!!

The power meter installed in the car shows ONLY 261 hp at around 5000 rpm and after the engine starts to loose power and is kind of erratic...

Need suggestion!!

worth checking the ignition system, plugs, distributor cap and rotor arm, and occasionally leads.

what mods do you have as 261 BHP is about right for an st-205.

also what boost is it running if modified?

did you bridge the E1 and TE1 terminals in the diag box when you set the timing?

worth checking the ignition system, plugs, distributor cap and rotor arm, and occasionally leads.

what mods do you have as 261 BHP is about right for an st-205.

also what boost is it running if modified?

did you bridge the E1 and TE1 terminals in the diag box when you set the timing?

I forgot to mention that when I set the timing I could see the timing mark on the pulley wasn't stable and was moving slightly forward or past the 10 deg mark??? Or this is just normal???

the mods I have are as following:

- JE-racing pistons (tested up to 5 Bar)

-EAGLE connecting rods

-Nissan S14's turbo (GARRET T-28)

-Costumized exhaust (all)

-APEXI induction kit

-upgrated Intercooler system

-stock fuel injectors (540cc)

-stock fuel pump

-G-REDDY blow off valve

-Currenti running G-REDDY boost control

-OCB lambda sensor

I did 2 test drive after seting the time at 10 deg:

1st at 0.6 bar boost and results were max 261 hp

2nd at 1.2 bar boost again 261 hp

Of course I bridge the E1 with TE1

What do you think????

Best,

i think something is seriously wrong if your not gaining any power from doubling your boost, i'd have expected an extra 100bhp

Hi again! The problem still persists.

Checked dizzy cap, rotor arm, leads and cleaned them with some paper sand, no luck!!!

The car still looses power around 4800 rpm.

I suspect one of the plugs is damaged as the gap is not the same with the other plugs as it fell when the head was rebuild. Could this cause the luck of power and popping at 4800-5000rpm. I also tried to accelerate gently and I get the same...

Also what kind of plugs do you guys use or what is the best option for plugs to use in my 3SGTE???

Best,

i use NGK Iridium grade 7 plugs in mine. you get a bit of cold fouling until it warms up but its fine.

a faulty plug can cause the symptoms you describe.

also an aftermarket ECU will help you get the best from your mods

Hi again,

Got a new set of NGK Laser Platinium plugs and WOW, all the problems are disappear. :yahoo:

The car accelerates really quickly and feels also the difference on the boost control.

At 1 bar boost the HP meter shows around 340HP, without any strange behavior of the car.

Today I'm thinking to try it at 1.2 bar boost to see what the difference is :rolleyes:,

Also for the turbo I ordered a full repair set to get rid of that smoke that overtakes me when I stop :P

I can't believe my car is back to normal...like when I first got her :yahoo::toot:

Thank you guys and special thanks to dawesy

Best regards,

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links