Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

'94 Land Cruiser EGR problems

rcallawa

We desperately need help. Lots of folks are having problems with their FZJ-80s EGR systems and we are having a difficult time trouble shooting them. You can see all these threads at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/80scool/messages or my messages begin here http://groups.yahoo.com/group/80scool/message/40687

In my case, I keep getting a 71 code after driving the truck over 55 mph for five minutes or more. This was like clockwork in the warmer months, but now it is not as bad as it has cooled off in the last couple of weeks here in South Texas.

So, off to my local mechanic to troubleshoot. They followed the Toyota tree and are stumped. The vacuum actuator works fine, the EGR valve has been cleaned and seems to be operating OK, the temp sensor resistance is within spec. They thought the VSV was the culprit, so they got a new one, plumbed around the old one since it is difficult to replace, then ran all the tests again, and are getting the same problems.

What should we do?

I have heard of some folks just replacing all the components as a group and that the problem goes away, but this seems really drastic and they can't determine which component was the culprit.

Finally, is there a trick to getting to the VSV without pulling the intake manifold apart?!

Any help appreciated,

Robert Callaway

San Antonio, TX

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links