Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Black Smoke

SDOHERTY-007

I`M AN OWNER OF A 2008 AVENSIS TR. GREAT DRIVING CAR. RECENTLY I STARTED TO NOTICE A PUFF OF BLACK SMOKE WHEN TAKING OFF FROM HOME IN 1ST AND 2ND GEAR BUT THEN NO MORE AS YOU GO ON YOUR JOURNEY. PLENTY OF POWER IN HER AND NO BLACK SMOKE WHEN REVVED AT IDLE. DUE A SERVICE NEXT MONTH 32,000 MILES. ALWAYS DROVE PETROL ENGINES TIL NOW.IS THAT JUST NORMAL FOR A DIESEL TO PUFF SOME BLACK SMOKE NOW AND AGAIN???

I`M AN OWNER OF A 2008 AVENSIS TR. GREAT DRIVING CAR. RECENTLY I STARTED TO NOTICE A PUFF OF BLACK SMOKE WHEN TAKING OFF FROM HOME IN 1ST AND 2ND GEAR BUT THEN NO MORE AS YOU GO ON YOUR JOURNEY. PLENTY OF POWER IN HER AND NO BLACK SMOKE WHEN REVVED AT IDLE. DUE A SERVICE NEXT MONTH 32,000 MILES. ALWAYS DROVE PETROL ENGINES TIL NOW.IS THAT JUST NORMAL FOR A DIESEL TO PUFF SOME BLACK SMOKE NOW AND AGAIN???

[/quote)

Usually these engine have a common problem with the egr valves blocked causing black smoke on acceleration. this could be a probably is the problem.

Usually these engine have a common problem with the egr valves blocked causing black smoke on acceleration. this could be a probably is the problem.

Although I agree this is the probable cause its worth using a diesel cleaner such as Millers with every fill.

Knowing this forum no doubt there will be some comment on its use but I can say I`ve used Millers diesel additives for years without issue.

ECOMAX-Diesel-500ml.jpg

hello mate

i would inspect all four injectors subject to no power lack has been observed yet.

cheers/Igor

• 2 weeks later...

ive used forte diesel additive in my 150bhp 2.2

seems to have had a great success car more responsive and economical

and less smoke

and less smoke

How do you use the Forte? Is it one off, or is it like the Miller, 50 ml to an almost full tank?

Thanks!

Hi,

Would not do any of the above - take it back to your local Toyoata dealer - its still under the 3 year warranty - let them inspect and advise.

Anything you do, without their written approval, could invalidate any warranty.

Hi,

Would not do any of the above - take it back to your local Toyoata dealer - its still under the 3 year warranty - let them inspect and advise.

Anything you do, without their written approval, could invalidate any warranty.

My local Toyota dealers service dept recommend Forte additive to help keep the EGR clean so there shouldn't be a problem there, also I doubt they would clean the EGR valve without charging for the job even if is under warranty but it probably does need doing at 32,000 miles. I have been advised (as I mentioned in a previous post reply) to drive my car a bit harder and not to try for the best possible MPG as this will lead to trouble with carbon build up in the EGR valve. I have taken the advice given to me by Toyota on board, using Forte now and then and driving with more "Spirit" .... ;).

Regards, Pete.

and less smoke

How do you use the Forte? Is it one off, or is it like the Miller, 50 ml to an almost full tank?

Thanks!

I filled up with 50lts and poured the forte into the fuel tank

i bought the forte from eBay too expensive from local supplier

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links